Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Slug Zero

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I’ve always used a 50 yard zero for my slugs and set my sights accordingly. Why 50 yards? Because that was the ballistics data on the box back in the 90s when I started trying to learn the shotgun.

This has provided me a more than acceptable “battle sight” for the purpose of hunting in the brush where I would be using a shotgun (I used it in Iowa where rifles were not legal) as well as for any reasonable self defense scenario. The offset of my sights is minimal enough in my opinion not to need much compensation when trying to make a precision shot at room distance. I have never noticed any shit in point of impact when shooting buckshot or birdshot inside those distances.

Probably not the 100% solution but it has always worked for my needs.

I use a 50 yard zero with slugs and pattern my buckshot at 25yards and then I'll try it at 50 yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    I’ve always used a 50 yard zero for my slugs and set my sights accordingly. Why 50 yards? Because that was the ballistics data on the box back in the 90s when I started trying to learn the shotgun.

This has provided me a more than acceptable “battle sight” for the purpose of hunting in the brush where I would be using a shotgun (I used it in Iowa where rifles were not legal) as well as for any reasonable self defense scenario. The offset of my sights is minimal enough in my opinion not to need much compensation when trying to make a precision shot at room distance. I have never noticed any shit in point of impact when shooting buckshot or birdshot inside those distances.

Probably not the 100% solution but it has always worked for my needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    I use a 50 yard zero with slugs and pattern my buckshot at 25yards and then I'll try it at 50 yards.
    Doesn’t a 50 yard zero put you low at 25 and 75?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Not that I've noticed but I'm usually shooting IALEFI Q target or steel, (also I don't have a 75 yd shooting point). I did a ton of shotgun shooting at the Sig Academy Master Shotgun Instructor but again, Q target or steel and I didn't notice any hold over or under until I got to 15yds and less when using red dot or high ghost ring sights. Beed sight on a 18.5 inch gun, always had to aim low until 50yds, (belly button hold).

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy1 View Post
    Not that I've noticed but I'm usually shooting IALEFI Q target or steel, (also I don't have a 75 yd shooting point). I did a ton of shotgun shooting at the Sig Academy Master Shotgun Instructor but again, Q target or steel and I didn't notice any hold over or under until I got to 15yds and less when using red dot or high ghost ring sights. Beed sight on a 18.5 inch gun, always had to aim low until 50yds, (belly button hold).
    If you look at the trajectory information from Brenneke, that I posted a few posts back, you will see what I am talking about.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Yes. About 4 inches at 100 yards and about half my sight height (0.75 inches) at 25 theoretically. In practice consider both to be within my acceptable error and it has proven to work on the range and the one time I took a deer with it at about 35-45 yards. Just as me selecting a 100 yard zero for my rifles, I tend to like zeroing at the maximum ordinance of trajectory so I only have to apply correction in one direction. Philosophically I consider my shotgun to be a 100 yard weapon with slugs so this has worked so far for me.

If you look at the trajectory information from Brenneke, that I posted a few posts back, you will see what I am talking about.
    I understand what you're saying but I haven't had to do any holdover or under until I get to 15yds and under. You referenced Brenneke, those are some hard hitting hunting slugs. I'm shooting 1oz rifld slugs. From the Federal website here is the trajectory with a 100yd zero;
    25 Y 50 Y 75 Y 100 Y 125 Y
    +2.2 +3.4 +2.7 0 -5.1

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Got the opportunity to sight in today using slugs and buckshot.

Started at 25yds using a combination of Remington and Winchester 1oz Foster slugs. Took just a few to zero as even without my glasses, those holes are damn easy to see. After that, I did some steel work. Very little as the impact kept shearing the single carriage bolt holding the IPSC plate. *Note to self*. Decided I might have better luck with the buckshot. I patterned both inexpensive 9 pellet Rio #00 and 8 pellet Hornady Black #00. Due to present circumstances, I could not find FFC anywhere. Research said the Hornady had the same type wad.

Results were interesting. While the Hornady did indeed have slightly tighter groups from 5-15yds, they were not significantly tighter beyond 10yds, averaging only 1” better. At 15yds, the difference was pretty insignificant with each load displaying a consistent flyer. In closer, the Rio Royal #00 as stated was only about 1” wider pattern with all pellets fairly equal spaced and centered.

I took the Rio out to 25yds and shot the same Vickers V-TAC target, this time on the silhouette side. All pellets hit consistently (3 targets) with only the occasional pellet or two impacting the upper arm.

I have pics, but connectivity issues preclude me from trying to attach here. It takes forever to load them. I will post later perhaps. I’m eager to try the FFC, but it most likely will be unobtanium for the near future. I can’t say that I’m entirely disappointed with the Rio #00. I think inside of 20yds, it would certainly suffice.

Just as a note, all the shooting was out of a Remington 870HD with an 18.5” barrel.

Fun stuff. Tomorrow I’ll take it out to 50 and 100yds.

A few more things I learned:

1. I need to whack off about 1.5” of stock and get a recoil pad that isn’t so sticky.
    2. I really need to take a class.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Be extremely careful shooting stationary steel with slugs. I would be 50 yards, or further, and only that on steel that moves like a MGM lollipop.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Appreciate the advice.

Using HangFast bracket, tow chain, and T-post.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

User Tag List