Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slug Zero

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To

Slug Zero

Did a search here, couldn’t find a direct discussion. Kinda surprised me...

What’s the consensus for a slug gun (not sabot) with iron sights? 25 and hold over for 50 or vice versa. 00 FC buck (or #1) is the planned primary.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post

What’s the consensus for a slug gun (not sabot) with iron sights? 25 and hold over for 50 or vice versa. 00 FC buck (or #1) is the planned primary.
    I zero the shotgun and PCC the same. Initial zero with slugs at 25, that puts it a bit high at 50, back on at 75 yards, and a bit low at 100. When I zero for slugs, my buck POI has always been fine.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    I zeroed my 870 to hit POA at 25 yards with Federal reduced-recoil slugs and FC eight-pellet 00 POI is good out to that range.

Notch and post or ghost ring, I also go for 25 yards and the 25 yard center of the pattern of the flight control seems to be about the same as the slug at that range.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post

What is your use case?

If slugs will be your primary munition, find the slug that does what you want and zero your gun for the distances you expect to realistically shoot. If, for instance, I was setting up a gun to use as a defense against charging bear, I would set it up so that I had no significant holdover to account for inside 25 yards because odds are that's the range I'll be needing to make rapid accurate hits and I won't have the spare brain power to do math.

If I was deer hunting and wanted to be able to hit out at 75, I might have a different zero.

Since you mentioned you're planning to use buckshot as your primary, I'm assuming you want slugs to supplement the shotgun's ability in case you need to hit a point target at distance. That's fairly typical.

My advice for that would be:

Find a slug that shoots to the same point of aim as your buckshot.

Zero the gun for what you are most likely to use it for. If you are using the gun for home defense and you plan to use buckshot, zero the gun for point of aim point of impact with your buckshot. Then find a slug that hits to the same point of aim. Then do a little shooting with the slug at distance to find out what sort of holdover you need...where, coincidentally, you will have more time to think about the mechanics of making the shot.

Finding a slug that shoots to the same point of aim as your buckshot isn't the easiest thing in the world. In most of my guns, for instance, Federal's Tru Ball slugs shoot to the same point of aim as the Federal Flight Control buckshot I use. I have a bunch of Fiocchi slugs I acquired for free that shoot 3" low and left of point of aim. Except for my backup 1301 where the Fiocchi slugs shoot to point of aim but the Tru-Ball loads shoot 3" low and left at 25 yards.
    3/15/2016

Over 10 years ago I was at a Louis Awerbuck class and I had my first shotgun zeroed at 75 yards (reliably hit some small steel at that distance with ghost ring sights and various Remington Sluger loads). This should be dead on at 25 yards as well. I have taken shotgun classes with most of the instructors who offer classes with this gun and have never had to move the zero in all this time. Tom Givens classes in particular use paper targets and he is a stickler for shot outside of the target area, but I have had no trouble with either the close up or 25 yard portions (flite control) of his classes.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Thanks all.

I’ll start at 25 after I do the initial patterning with birdshot and go from there. I’ll use my supply of Winchester and Brenneke slugs and see what I got. It’s not a deer gun but a utility/SD set up. Trying to find different loads may be a bit problematic, so fingers crossed what I have works.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

My experience, with both a red dot and ghost rings, is that a 25 yard initial slug zero is slightly high at 50 and intersects again at 75 yards. That is with full power slugs. Are others finding something different?

From the Brenneke website:

Name:  89507D1D-2702-4FA4-9831-02329948B841.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  50.9 KB

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    My experience, with both a red dot and ghost rings, is that a 25 yard initial slug zero is slightly high at 50 and intersects again at 75 yards. That is with full power slugs. Are others finding something different?
    I haven't tried mine over 25 yards yet. I might be able to squeeze in the time now.

User Tag List