Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General gun safety info for new gun owners

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

General gun safety info for new gun owners

Can anyone point me to a solid, approachable video on basic gun safety? I'd like to start sharing it on social media in the off chance someone who just bought a gun for the first time comes across it.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    I was thinking more in the long term, after everything calms down a bit and ammo is available again. I hope some of these people come to the realization that it’s nice to be able to have guns when things get dangerous and scary so, maybe, new laws that make it harder for people like them to get guns aren’t a good thing. Then, while preparing for the next time things get dangerous and scary, these folks decide that they’d like to be better capable of using their new guns effectively.

In the immediate future, I just hope they get some instruction on basic gun safety and the function of their new gun from someone that actually knows what they’re talking about and maybe do some dry practice. Even if they spend a couple hours on YouTube and happen to stumble onto a decent video on the four rules and a break down on how their gun actually functions, that’s better than nothing right now.
    Unfortunately, probably unlikely there will be any training beyond YouTube video(s). And that will only be the really motivated new gun owners. These guns will be shot 5-10 times and then loaded, stuffed in a drawer and eventually forgotten until the heirs find them.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    Can anyone point me to a solid, approachable video on basic gun safety? I'd like to start sharing it on social media in the off chance someone who just bought a gun for the first time comes across it.
    Here’s one by John Lovell of Warrior Poet Society.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    John Corriea at Active Self Protection Extra has a recent video on this subject. Not sure I'm 100% onboard with his advice. Take a look for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agpm0n0V9dA
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

@LittleLebowski or other staff, I think it would be a good idea to split the recent posts by @Chance, @LtDave and I into a separate thread. It’s been mentioned in multiple threads and other online forums that many of the recent gun buyers likely have no training and experience with the safe handling of firearms. Let’s try and turn a separate thread into an online resource we can point people to and hopefully prevent some negligent discharges.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I know they are not the most beloved of organizations and much of the information would be superfluous but the NRA has a free online hunter education course that seemed reasonably good when I made my son take it. They have other online courses that cost money. I have done nothing with those to know if they are worth while or not. https://onlinetraining.nra.org/online-courses/ . A lot of states seem to be relaxing hunter training to an online safety course. It seems there has been relaxation around carry permits as well so perhaps some state out there will have a decent quality online course as a potential option. Nothing that will make you particularly proficient but maybe at least clue people in on safety.

Collectively, we know some decent internet-age sources (and members) to steer total beginners to. I’d add

https://www.corneredcat.com/Contents/

And, for sure, this series

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/c.../shooting-101/

To the list.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    And, for sure, this series

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/c.../shooting-101/

To the list.
    This is my favorite. I sent this to a friend of mine out of state who is being lent a handgun by another friend. Zero experience in using them so I passed this along. Very accessible and Chris has the most soothing voice I think I've ever heard.

Chris Baker is a very good dude. Lucky Gunner Lounge is an excellent resource.

Site Supporter
    NSSF has lots of good, basic info:

User Tag List