Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for firearms-related software ideas

Quote Originally Posted by LOKNLOD View Post
    I would rather have no website functionality than be dependent on it, personally.
    This.
    I train to be better than I was yesterday. -F2S

I agree - something local to the device that then uploads data on command is better. That frees up using it on devices like ipod touch and iPads without mobile internet connections.
    I would rather have no website functionality than be dependent on it, personally. If the prompts are done right, I don't think entering new drills manually on a phone has to be burdensomely difficult.
    Up front, I'll be having a proper iPhone/iPad app for data entry/syncing, and a Web site for management of drills (ie: creating new ones), reporting, and other things that just work better on a bigger screen with a keyboard/mouse. That site will be accessible to all mobile devices of course, and as it evolves, I'll try to find a way to increase the functionality for mobile, non-iPhone/iPad users on that Web site.

I will also provide an open API for other developers to make an Android app to hook into it. But I am not going to jump into Android development, it's just too painful for me.

Another thought - while doing the target evaluation thing rob mentioned might be out of reach, being able to snap a pic and attach it to a particular run of the drill (need a camera button right there on the screen) would be a nice bonus. Taking pics separately and later trying to match them up to particular drills or runs of a drill can be frustrating.
    This is an excellent idea!

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

Love the idea of the training app that's getting fleshed out.

Def think that the image analysis of range targets is the way to go. Logging data and doing some arithmetic is a project more suited to an undergrad than a top dev such as the OP. Saving all that error-prone manual input of data is the way to go!

Great stuff j. Seems like everything has been mentioned, but an app that lets you select drills based on focus (accuracy, draw speed, etc) and log and track the results would absolutely be killer. Very similar to a gym workout plan- different focus for different sessions.
    One thing that I don’t remember seeing- how about being able to put in the parameters for different range facilities, for example max range, indoor/outdoor, available targets, steel targets, able to draw from holster, etc. Then you could select Range X and have only drills that can be done at that range be selectable.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Initial plans are available, request for comment

All -

Thanks for the great information you have all provided! I have started a GitHub repository for this project, and put together a Wiki explaining what is going on. A big part of this Wiki is the "Roadmap" page, which loosely describes the planned functionality: https://github.com/titaniumcrowbar/i...m-Trainer/wiki

Please take a look at the Wiki, especially the roadmap, and provide any and all feedback (on the Wiki, in this thread, through private message at P-F, or email at justinjames [*a*obfuscated*t*] titaniumcrowbar.com

As I develop, I will be posting information once a month over at TechRepublic (www.techrepublic.com - check "App Builder" and "Software Engineer"), describing the current progress, and what technical tips and tricks I've learned along the way.

Thanks again.

J.Ja

Something that may have already been raised, but I thought I'd mention it while it's fresh on my mind...

Have the damn app interface with a PC-based app or a website. I do not want to be contained to the damn phone/pad, "i" or otherwise. I'll give examples of good and bad...

Example of bad:
    I have a grocery shopping app that's great. I can make a list as I think of things, and then check them off as I shop. It works wonderfully. However, if I'm sitting down to make up the whole list for a major shopping trip, it's a damn nightmare to try and work within just the phone and type in and find potentially dozens of items. What they need is a website that synchs with the app to store my login so that I can just go to the website, enter my list on a normal keyboard, and then push the list to the app on the phone.

Example of good (mostly):
    I am shopping for a house. The realtor.com app is great in so many ways, but relevent to this dicsussion is the functionality wherein if I save a house to my favorites in the app it will show up in my favorites on the website, and vice versa. This is GREAT because I can drive through a neighborhood and use the GPS to find houses for sale that look interesting, save them, and then just bring up the website when I get home and look at the pictures and other information. Through the same functionality I can go online and find houses I think I might like and then use the app on the phone to find them and input notes about what I see on-site. The only shortcoming is that the notes aren't synched between the two, which would make it even better.

So if we're going to have a drills app that allows me to store a bunch of drills, I need to be able to set up my plan online or otherwise on the PC and not be stuck doing this on the mobile device. And then I need a way to easily view the information I store at the range on the PC when I come home. And I don't want to go find a cable and synch stuff that way, I want it to work through the cloud like the Realtor app does.

Said app should allow for the creation of a bunch of timer beeps at whatever timing the user wants. I should be able to program Beep 1 to happen 20 seconds after I press "play" and then Beep 2 at 1.5, 7 second gap, Beep 3, Beep 4 1.45 seconds later, etc... Essentially a 100% customizable longer duration dry fire track. I have made a few here and there with a webcam but would like a pure beep, not a recorded one.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Something that may have already been raised, but I thought I'd mention it while it's fresh on my mind...

Have the damn app interface with a PC-based app or a website. I do not want to be contained to the damn phone/pad, "i" or otherwise. I'll give examples of good and bad...

Example of bad:
    I have a grocery shopping app that's great. I can make a list as I think of things, and then check them off as I shop. It works wonderfully. However, if I'm sitting down to make up the whole list for a major shopping trip, it's a damn nightmare to try and work within just the phone and type in and find potentially dozens of items. What they need is a website that synchs with the app to store my login so that I can just go to the website, enter my list on a normal keyboard, and then push the list to the app on the phone.

Example of good (mostly):
    I am shopping for a house. The realtor.com app is great in so many ways, but relevent to this dicsussion is the functionality wherein if I save a house to my favorites in the app it will show up in my favorites on the website, and vice versa. This is GREAT because I can drive through a neighborhood and use the GPS to find houses for sale that look interesting, save them, and then just bring up the website when I get home and look at the pictures and other information. Through the same functionality I can go online and find houses I think I might like and then use the app on the phone to find them and input notes about what I see on-site. The only shortcoming is that the notes aren't synched between the two, which would make it even better.

So if we're going to have a drills app that allows me to store a bunch of drills, I need to be able to set up my plan online or otherwise on the PC and not be stuck doing this on the mobile device. And then I need a way to easily view the information I store at the range on the PC when I come home. And I don't want to go find a cable and synch stuff that way, I want it to work through the cloud like the Realtor app does.
    Rob - Already on the road map.

J.Ja

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Said app should allow for the creation of a bunch of timer beeps at whatever timing the user wants. I should be able to program Beep 1 to happen 20 seconds after I press "play" and then Beep 2 at 1.5, 7 second gap, Beep 3, Beep 4 1.45 seconds later, etc... Essentially a 100% customizable longer duration dry fire track. I have made a few here and there with a webcam but would like a pure beep, not a recorded one.
    Sounds good. I already have the beeps for this, for a timer app I made for the gym a few months ago. They are sharp and annoying, really get your attention, but short too so they aren't drawn out.

J.Ja

User Tag List