Thread: Ruger Security Six restoration

Site Supporter

Ruger Security Six restoration

Over in the Corona Boredom thread, I said that I'm working on restoring a Ruger Security Six.
    @pangloss asked me to post some pictures. So here they are.

I got this in a trade back in 2015. It's a 150 prefix model referred to as the "low back grip frame", the shape of the grip frame is different so finding correct grips is a challenge. The grips on it were not correct, a few years ago someone on eBay had custom grips that he had made, he said at the time that he had a batch of them made with the idea of selling some of them off. So I have a set of nice wooden grips for when it is done.

At first, I thought it was a blued model, once I looked at it closely I found that it had been refinished with some kind of spry on coating. Which would have been fine but trying to pull the trigger in DA with it loaded was nearly impossible. Unloaded it was gritty but possible.

So I took some paint stripper to the cylinder and beach face to see if that would help.
    It did some but it was still very gritty. I figured that they must have also spray painted the yoke and inside of the cylinder as well. I think it is stainless steel underneath I have some cold blue when I testing a section of the cylinder it didn't blue up much and and came right off with the 3M pad.

Here are some before pics:

Name:  IMG_20150920_134844.jpg
Views: 869
Size:  73.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20150920_134850.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  IMG_20150920_134914.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  61.5 KB

I took apart the cylinder and started polishing it with 3M pads.

Name:  IMG_20200322_114025.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  25.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20200322_114029.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  20.9 KB

Name:  IMG_20200322_114034.jpg
Views: 757
Size:  24.8 KB

I have a ways to go, once I strip off the finish it something that I can do watching TV.
    Just time intensive, but with a world shut down I have some time on my hands now.

I'll post some more pics along the way.

Site Supporter
    Thanks for starting this thread! I'll enjoy seeing your progress.

I dig the Security Sixes! It was my first center fire handgun so I’m really fond of them. When I found a stainless steel 2.75” bbled one in the used counter at Cabela’s it had to come home with me. It was a little rough and just needed some cleaning up. Replaced springs, added nylon Hogues and swapped out the sights to XS Big Dot. Turned out pretty sweet. It’s become my official ranch gun loaded with snake shot in the first two chambers and it rides around in a Kramer MSP paddle. Finding grip options for your’s is going to be a challenge but well worth the adventure.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A Security Six (or any -Six for that matter) is a great, somewhat unheralded general purpose revolver. While not necessarily Manhurin 73s, they're exceptionally well designed and durable-and tend to be very accurate. They're nicely tunable as well.

Best, Jon

Watching with interest. I have my late pop's 1979 production 4" barreled Security-Six disassembled for cleaning and lubrication on my bench as I write this.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by medmo View Post
    I dig the Security Sixes! It was my first center fire handgun so I’m really fond of them. When I found a stainless steel 2.75” bbled one in the used counter at Cabela’s it had to come home with me. It was a little rough and just needed some cleaning up. Replaced springs, added nylon Hogues and swapped out the sights to XS Big Dot. Turned out pretty sweet. It’s become my official ranch gun loaded with snake shot in the first two chambers and it rides around in a Kramer MSP paddle. Finding grip options for your’s is going to be a challenge but well worth the adventure.

I have a one similar to that. I like the big dot on yours.
    I had a couple fixed sights Speed Sixes, but fixed sights and my ageing eyes aren't working to well.
    So I sold them off.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Watching with interest. I have my late pop's 1979 production 4" barreled Security-Six disassembled for cleaning and lubrication on my bench as I write this.
    You probably already have them, but even in the age of YouTube, Kuhnhausen's "The Ruger Revolvers-A Shop Manual" is invaluable, as is Iowegan's Book of Knowledge on the Security/Service/Speed Six.

Best, Jon

I’m seeing vintage Jay Scott wood grips for the Six 150 prefix SN on EBay. There is a handful. A couple of them are over sized and might make good candidates for re-shaping if your up for it.

User Tag List