Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Assassins… Sort Of… No Stallone or Banderas Here (Ruger MK Suppressed)

Assassins… Sort Of… No Stallone or Banderas Here (Ruger MK Suppressed)

So there is a Ruger Stubby thread on AR15.com… and I really was impressed with what people were doing with their MK pistols. I have a MK3 Target in stainless that my father gave me. Wasn’t going to chop that barrel down (sentimental value), so I started a search for a second stainless upper to cut/thread.

Found one on GunBroker. Asked the seller if it was stainless… said yes. Bought it, and when I got it at the FFL, found out someone took a wire wheel to a black upper to make it “stainless.” Shadow under the rear sight in the pictures was actually the original finish, as was everything inside the receiver. Being the price wasn’t too bad and it literally is like 550 off from the serial number on my original… said the hell with it. I plan on sending it to CCR for plating after I get it squared away.

Very happy with how it came out. Jim from JP Grips & Machine did an awesome job with the work. I like the thread protector, which was done off the removed chunk of barrel. Cutting it also got rid of that warning billboard.

Works out to 2.0625” of barrel (measured the AFT way). [emoji1787] My Beretta Bobcat Covert has a 2.9” barrel. The .25 Raven I picked up because I remember my father shoving it into his boot when going to the city… that has a 2.36” barrel. It’s a little short, but most people who cut these down say the performance isn’t terrible. I’m sort of figuring it won’t run without the suppressor, but maybe hotter loads might have a chance. Can say I won’t have to worry about anything going supersonic.

Have a Holosun 507C that should be here tomorrow. Want to go to the range to mess around without the can to confirm rounds aren’t keyholing, but the suppressor alignment is good to go with my .22 rod. If I can’t get out there next week, we are qualifying the first week of September… will do it then. There is talks about work eventually allowing red dots on our Glocks, so figured this would be a nice testbed for getting used to a pistol red dot.

Got an OWB holster that seems to work, but the red dot might push it a little higher than desired. Trigger looks like it will be covered, so should be good. Not planning on carrying it all the time, but if I’m in certain areas, I could find a use for it.

Once I know it’s runs, I’ll get the upper to CCR so it doesn’t rust.

Cool project. I used to have a MKIII, but sold it to purchase a Marvel .22LR kit for a 1911. I haven’t gone suppressed (yet), but a well set up .22 can certainly bring joy to any shooter! I mainly use mine for Steel Challenge but it has gotten rid of a couple critters in the yard.

Cool project. I expect it will run without the suppressor even with subsonic ammo based on some experience playing with short barrels and ammo including CCI Quiet and the old Remington SubSonic. A great ammo is the GemTech Suppressor (45-grain at ~1000 fps) made by CCI. CCI Quiet Auto (45-grain at ~850 fps) is hit and miss with the MK pistols but more hit than miss. CCI Quiet (40-grain at ~700 fps) will very rarely cycle in any of my MK pistols. With any subsonic ammo, the bolt has to smoothly cycle. My pistols are well used and very smooth. The chrome-moly steel is better in this application than the stainless as carbon steels always seem to result in smoother cycling than the same gun in stainless.

Taking a break from social media.

But was it "Made in Amerrrrdica"?

This thing is cool. Eley makes a nice match grade sub-sonic designed to cycle rifles. I bet with a lighter spring it will cycle this gun.

I got the Holosun today. Zero experience with pistol red dots, but quality is definitely on par with the SIG Romeo 5s that I sort of standardized on. I knew Holosun made the SIG optics, but I won’t hesitate to buy one in the future instead of hunting for a SIG… which I did a few times already.

Was going to install it, but the FarrowTech mount needs to be fitted (aluminum dovetail base, which the red dot/mount attach to). Really only want to do it once… after the refinish. I got the Primary Arms 507C with the ACSS Vulcan reticule (10 MOA Chevron, with 100 MOA circle). I like the setup, but will definitely have to try it out once mounted. The larger circle reference seems smart, but will definitely have to play around with the Chevron to see what holds I’ll have with .22 (all the common larger handgun and rifle drops are given). With a 2” barrel, I doubt it will be that far past 35 yards.

Boston decided that qualifying this quarter was going to cost too much OT money, so it was canceled and we all got a waiver for this FY. [emoji849] So, we cancel that OT… but because we have to use it anyways… we will have a dumb operation made up to use it. Sometimes I really hate working for the government… but since we booked the range for two weeks, I’ll at least be able to get out there this upcoming week (have OT tomorrow, but have to see which shifts I lost because of this s***show). Beginning and end of the week looks good for weather, so probably will find a day to take the pistol out (need to confirm zero/blow thru my old AR ammo, as well).

Thanks for the heads up on ammo and the springs. I have a crap ton of Federal Champion bulk, but also a few variations of CCI to mess with (different weights of Mini-Mag and Subsonic). Really, I’m just going to put a magazine thru each at a few feet and see if the holes are circles. If they are, toss on the can and see what happens. What I really want to mess around with is that 60 grain Aguila ammo. Probably very limited in use, but the round looks interesting in what the performance would be.

For the springs, I definitely need to get new springs for the bolt… but I’m also swapping the bolt and frame between the two uppers. I considered looking for a separate bolt, but I was looking to have a bolt lock installed… and for the price, I’d probably just do the one to use with both uppers (linked below). Thought process behind the single bolt and frame… set up how I want it so I don’t have to do the modifications twice. Extractor and firing pin aren’t that expensive, and neither was the trigger stuff I did… but it is nice to have the consistency between them both. I have the Volquartsen trigger set perfectly. Besides, I’ll probably rarely run the original upper anymore, as it is sentimental.

https://www.tbasuppressors.com/TBA-M...Lock_p_38.html

This is the bolt lock. While I get the idea of locking the action closed, I don’t think it’s worth $500. $200ish… maybe, since they are likely recouping R&D. But for $500, I’ll just put my thumb behind it if needed. I do like having interesting stuff, like the 9mm Airweight I carry, but at a certain point… I don’t like throwing money away.

Source for spare bolt. https://volquartsen.com/inventory_co...10?clearance=1

Unfortunately inflation has really raised the price on these. I bought my spare bolts for $30-$40. Now they are $65.

Better deal on Volquartsen's eBay store ($45) at https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Ru...r/224910872040

Really cool.
    #RESIST

https://imgur.com/a/I9DLxAB

Shoots like a dream, even without sights. [emoji1787]

Federal bull would not cycle out of the 2” barrel. CCI MiniMags did. All rounds hit the paper dead on… so it stabilized them. Put the can on, and I was impressed. 1,260 FPS rated ammo didn’t get supersonic.

Cleaning the can now, since I also zeroed my M&P15-22 pistol with subsonic ammo (8” barrel will get supersonic loads… found that out when I first got the can [emoji6]). Going to toss the upper in the ultrasonic, and clean it up well for refinishing. CCR still has a 20% sale going on, so I want to get it in for that. Can’t wait to get it back and toss the red dot on.

All done…

I’m going to redo the rest of the trigger group with Volquartsen parts. Also going to adjust it on both uppers, since one doesn’t have enough travel to fire… unless you really bare down on it.

But can’t wait to get the red dot zeroed. I did also get a set of CT grips for my Beretta Bobcat Covert (also have Beretta logos on them, which is cool), so hoping to get both pistols squared away before winter starts up.

User Tag List