Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliability issues. Magpul 15 round for Glocks

Reliability issues. Magpul 15 round for Glocks

Looking for help diagnosing failure to feed and bound springs in Magpul mags for Glocks.

I have nine 15 round Magpul magazines I use for the range. 3 have started to show repeated malfunctions. Not more than maybe 7,000 rounds between all 9 magazines. Definitely less than a 1,000 rounds per mag.They had not been cleaned and yes I shoot steel case exclusively. I did disassemble the 3 that misbehave the most often, no major dirt, rust or grim. Quick wipe down, same failures repeated themselves.

Even after the wipe down I noticed rounds rattling around as I loaded magazines. I give them a tap and they would settle in. Still getting repeated failures with carefully loaded mags, down loaded one or two rounds. Failures to feed from the magazine, rounds stuck on feed ramp, and rounds stuck down in the magazine.

Has anyone else experienced issues with their Magpuls? Is it the Steel case? New springs?

Thoughts, ideas and experience please.

I did clean my G17.3 and run a few factory mags with no issues. Went back to my worst offender mag and failures repeated themselves.

Name:  20200315_141052.jpg
Views: 3569
Size:  24.0 KBName:  20200229_140325.jpg
Views: 2587
Size:  14.0 KBName:  20200315_141113.jpg
Views: 2681
Size:  25.4 KB

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I had the same exact issues which is why i relegated them to range use only. Is where you shoot fairly dry/dusty? My range east of Denver has lots of chalky dust that gets into my guns, and my theory is teh dust + steel case ammo in the otherwise very tight Magpul mags causes the cases to bind together and impair normal feeding.

I have several of the 15 round variety which have been shot out of a Gen 2 / 3 G19 and a Gen 2.5 G26. No issues with carry ammo, or brass case training ammo.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

As a 20 year resident of Frisco I'd like to say yes to the dry, dusty, but these mags have lived their short life in damp and musty Vermont. I thought rust would be the culprit. But as you can see the springs look to be in good shape.

edit to add , yes steel plus dust makes high friction and binding.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Alembic; 03-22-2020 at 10:24 AM.

None of my 17 or 15 round PMAGs work. 10 and 2 respectively, I think. They all started failing to feed around 600 rounds in. All cleaned, no difference.

No problem with my 12 round and 21 round mags.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have several of the 15 round variety which have been shot out of a Gen 2 / 3 G19 and a Gen 2.5 G26. No issues with carry ammo, or brass case training ammo.
    I need to run these mags with HST, and AE. but @TGS's experiences are not encouraging.

Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    I need to run these mags with HST, and AE. but @TGS's experiences are not encouraging.
    I don't carry these on the street. I do, however, carry my 12 round Magpuls for the G26. (I have five which have been vetted with both training and carry ammo without a failure.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Alembic View Post
    Less encouraging is that I've tried contacting Magpul 3 times, including the PMAG Glock PM directly here on the forum.

Radio silence. Face down in the rice paddy. No impact, no idea.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I’ve had similar experiences with my 17 round PMags. I haven’t shot enough rounds through the 15 round and 12 round ones yet to make a decision. For now, they’re all practice-only magazines as I have enough OEM Glock mags to use for anything serious.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I have 4 Magpul Glock mags and will not buy any more. Every malf I’ve had with my Gen5 17 is with a Magpul mag.

OEM mags can be found in the 20 buck range in non-panic times. The Magpuls just don’t save me enough money to put up with the quirks.

FWIW I don’t shoot steel cased ammo in anything.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

User Tag List