Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reliability issues. Magpul 15 round for Glocks

I remember paying $85 for a used 15 round USP magazine. I'm happy to pay MSRP for Glock OEM mags. I prefer to use brass case instead of steel case, but I want the option to be able to use steel case. Having paid stupid prices for quality mags during the dark AWB years, I value the mag quality way above the mag price.

I'm a magazine snob, and I'm not even sorry about it. If I wander into a gun shop just to look around and want to be a good customer, I just buy one or two OEM Glock mags and toss them into one of the mag caddies once I get home.

I would make an execption to the Magpuls if I was forced to use 10 round mags, but that hasn't come up as an issue yet.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I have 6 of the 17 rounders for my G17.5. Never a single issue. I'd carry with them if I needed to but I don't. I save my OEM mags for carry and have plenty for that role. When I bought the Magpuls it was a matter of availability and they were about $10 less per mag, plus they were just going to be range mags anyway. They've been as good as my rifle Pmags so far. FWIW, I never shoot steel cased ammo in anything.

Steel case rounds are the problem.

They're not as slick as brass, and can bind up in the mags.

Mine (17, & 21s) have this problem, but all work fine with brass.

Site Supporter
    I have two 15 round G19 Magpul magazines that have roughly a thousand rounds through them with no issues. All brass case factory rounds or my handloads. I only use factory mags for carry. Need to order more factory mags.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I remember paying $85 for a used 15 round USP magazine. I'm happy to pay MSRP for Glock OEM mags. I prefer to use brass case instead of steel case, but I want the option to be able to use steel case. Having paid stupid prices for quality mags during the dark AWB years, I value the mag quality way above the mag price.

I'm a magazine snob, and I'm not even sorry about it. If I wander into a gun shop just to look around and want to be a good customer, I just buy one or two OEM Glock mags and toss them into one of the mag caddies once I get home.

I would make an execption to the Magpuls if I was forced to use 10 round mags, but that hasn't come up as an issue yet.
    Have the Magpul 10 rounders proven themselves to be better than the OEM 9mm Glock ten rounders? I have no experience with the 9mm ones, but three .40 G23 10 rounders worked without issues for me for several years.

Glock 10-rounders are single stack, while the Magpul 10-rounders are double stack. The Glock 10-rounders are less satisfactory from a reliablity standpoint, and some members forced to use 10 rounders have chopped G19 grips to fit G26 mags. I don't know how much it changes things to go from 9mm to .40, my only Glock experience is with the 9mm.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

I have a G19.5 that I acquired in oct 2017, I also acquired 1 magpul 15rd magazine for testing at the same time. Over the time I have had that magazine I have only cleaned it once and that was last month as the orange follower was pretty much black. I have shot nearly 17,000 rds on that particular magazine to include brass, steel, and aluminum ammunition with zero issues.

Approx. a year ago I also acquired a magpul 12rd mag for my G26.5 and did start having issues with it after approx. 7,000. YMMV, but I have had pretty good luck with them so far and continue to use them. I do agree ALL firearms are prone to a degree of tolerance stacking with certain variables, I would test your personal equipment and loads to see how different combos work, if your setup doesn't like the Magpuls try another brand or just run OEM.

I have had almost identical feed malfunctions in the 12 round G26 mag. Both with factory and reload brass ammo. I eventually tossed them some where, I stick to the OEM mags for carry and range, was a bit disappointed as I like their AR mags.

My experiencia showed that were fine with brass cased round nose, but steel, aluminum, and hollowpoints were not real reliable.

Fine for training or even match mags, but I wouldn't want 'em for carry.

Are you using the stock recoil spring with those target ammo? What if you tried hotter ammo?
    I'm wondering if the slide isn't reciprocating all the way back or if there isn't enough dwell time.
    Compounding with a worn mag spring to cause this issue.

Here's a video from ShadowSystems. They ship their guns with magpul mag.
    I guess it's such a common issue that they have a video on the problem.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQbyRa_-pgc

User Tag List