Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sending firearms to another state / myself via UPS / FedEx?

Sending firearms to another state / myself via UPS / FedEx?

its been awhile pistol-forum. I live in Northern Virginia. My dad and brother live in Texas. I want to send them one of my AR-15s and one of my pistols (haven’t decided which one).

What are the specific legalities of this? Obviously, I would prefer to not go through an FFL. I was thinking I could simply send it to myself- their address, but my name. I would send via UPS or FedEx.

when I was young and carefree many years ago, I sent a G17 that I kB’d back to Glock for inspection, and I just send it via UPS. Did not declare there was a firearm in the package, and everything was fine. I am pretty sure they just sent it back to my house? It was so long ago I can't remember…
    So I was hoping this is basically the same thing?

Would prefer to not play a stupid game and win a stupid prize, so if I’m about to do that, please let me know.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Long time, Fuse.

Short answer, yes, you can if you're planning on being there and using it. It's quite common with hunting when people don't want to fly with guns, actually. If you are straight up giving it to them to possess, no, FFL is required.

See here: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/how-to-mail-guns/
    Last edited by TGS; 03-22-2020 at 09:22 AM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by XXXsilverXXX View Post
    Wouldn’t the problem be more with the fact that he isn’t going to be in Texas, and this little work around is more or less a bad idea?
    If you have anything factual and relevant to contribute, please do so.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Long time, Fuse.

Short answer, yes, you can if you're planning on being there and using it. It's quite common with hunting when people don't want to fly with guns, actually. If you are straight up giving it to them to possess, no, FFL is required.

See here: https://www.pewpewtactical.com/how-to-mail-guns/
    Tyler!

How could any authorities prove intent though (other than I just posted about it on the internet?)

How does one define ownership? It would seem plausible I could still say I own these weapons, but they live in Texas for the time being.

In fact I have plane tickets to Texas in May I haven't canceled yet. Some deniability.

Anyway I understand the letter of the law, and I suppose not being young and dumb I might as well use an FFL. I'm not used to kitchen table FFLs because it seems lots of them went away years ago around here.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Tyler!

How could any authorities prove intent though (other than I just posted about it on the internet?)

How does one define ownership? It would seem plausible I could still say I own these weapons, but they live in Texas for the time being.

In fact I have plane tickets to Texas in May I haven't canceled yet. Some deniability.

Anyway I understand the letter of the law, and I suppose not being young and dumb I might as well use an FFL. I'm not used to kitchen table FFLs because it seems lots of them went away years ago around here.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    It'd be pretty easy if you weren't there, didn't have any travel plans, and they had the gun. Long story short, "ownership" isn't what matters, possession is.

If you're trying to give them a gun as opposed to sending the gun through mail so you can visit them, they definitely have to go through an FFL.

Quote Originally Posted by pewpew
    ...You must address it to yourself “in care of” the out-of-state resident. Once it arrives, no one but you can take possession of or open the package, so you must be at the destination to receive it.
    That appears to present a problem for mailing it. Are you intending to travel there any time soon? You may have to use an FFL otherwise.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    A simple question changes the answer. Are you GIVING/SELLING them the guns or LENDING them the guns? Would they like to use those guns for a lawful sporting purpose? Lending for a lawful sporting purpose does not require an FFL across state lines. Selling does.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/922

(5)for any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) to transfer, sell, trade, give, transport, or deliver any firearm to any person (other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector) who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe does not reside in (or if the person is a corporation or other business entity, does not maintain a place of business in) the State in which the transferor resides; except that this paragraph shall not apply to (A) the transfer, transportation, or delivery of a firearm made to carry out a bequest of a firearm to, or an acquisition by intestate succession of a firearm by, a person who is permitted to acquire or possess a firearm under the laws of the State of his residence, and (B) the loan or rental of a firearm to any person for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes;
    Not a lawyer, all that.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Also I believe being a family member is another set of rules?

But as Tom said, probably not going to be like Find Waldo to connect with a willing FFL in Texas. Simplifying this might be a good use of $25.

In your Glock example you were shipping it to a manufacturer or gunsmith for service, it did not change hands. It is my understanding that if you happened to move while it was in process there would have been a lot of hoops.

My best transfer guy here is a pawn shop, maybe have your day check around. They maintain an FFL because guns are part of their business, but they do not have hundreds of thousands of dollars tied up in inventory they would prefer you buy.

User Tag List