Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sending firearms to another state / myself via UPS / FedEx?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Jones View Post
    Because I told them — as required by federal law:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearm...rearms-carrier
    What the ATF doesn't tell you is that if you're sending a firearm to an FFL then you don't have to tell the carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by 18 USC 922
    (e) It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped;
    I just Fedex'ed an AR receiver to an FFL/SOT in another state to get it engraved before SBRing it, and no I didn't tell Fedex it was a gun. Plus I saved some money by not overnighting it, which they'd want me to do if I did tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    IMO the safest way to avoid that prize would be to find an FFL local to your dad that will accept from an individual. Run the FFL number on ATF EZ check, then ship.

I've shipped a lot of guns, almost all through UPS. Their people rarely understand company policy on firearms, but all of the guns got where they were going.
    They don't understand them at USPS either. I just take the regs with me and explain it to them. Then they call a supervisor and I explain it again. Then they have me fill out a form that I can't fill out completely because I don't have an FFL # and they ship it. Problem solved. And yes it's being shipped to an FFL out of state. I'm guessing they go thru that act at least once a week to discourage people.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Wait!!! Your saying that your father lives in one of the most leaniant states, to purchase an AR platform, and they don’t own one already. Smells funny. It’s 2020, after Obama everyone in Texas bought one in 2012, unless they live in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Go to https://www.shipmygun.com and save a few bucks in shipping. It will probably be less than $100 to send both guns to an FFL. Your brother can pay the transfer fee, which should be around $20-$30.

Or play games with the ATF and the possibility of spending thousands in legal fees and a felony conviction.
    holy cow never heard of this. pretty cool! I think I will be using an FFL, will run the numbers on this service....

thanks to everyone for your help.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    but I also get why the OP may not want his family going to an FFL right now.
    yep there is that too. but lets be honest, I can't keep my freaking parents indoors. my brother and wife wife are both pharmacists, and they can't convince them to freaking stay home all the time, either.

if my brother and I's 17-year-old selves could see our adult selves yelling at our parents for going out....thats quite a role-reversal.
    Last edited by fuse; 03-23-2020 at 11:22 AM.
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by 5pins View Post
    Even if he wanted to do a FTF transfer when he got there he would need to be a Texas resident to bypass using an FFL.
    that is also true. I do have a virginia drivers license, and I live in Virginia .....BUT I am active duty military, and my home of record for tax purposes is Texas. so in another way I am still a Texas resident. so there is that.

anyway, I think I'm just going to do this legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    Wait!!! Your saying that your father lives in one of the most leaniant states, to purchase an AR platform, and they don’t own one already. Smells funny. It’s 2020, after Obama everyone in Texas bought one in 2012, unless they live in Austin
    yeah what can I say, dude is pretty trusting lol. I'm giving him the first AR I ever bought, my old bushmaster xm15. before I learned about Colt etc. I think this was actually before BCM even existed.

I'm also sending a G19, and a Sig 228. He's recently retired and (someday) going to take a CCW class. I want him to decide for himself what operating system he prefers.

User Tag List