Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Nostalgia/comfort/experience versus new tech guns

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    New platforms are a PITA.

As are multiple platforms. Especially if you're trying to get really good.

I have guns that I play with, but the guns I carry, train and compete with will all be the same couple of guns.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    This is why I keep thinking of getting one of those stupid Mustang .380 clones. I still need a pocket gun for various things from time-to-time, I figure I might as well have one that controls-wise mimics the 1911s I do everything else with, one of C&S' extended thumb safeties should make it feasible.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    This is why I keep thinking of getting one of those stupid Mustang .380 clones. I still need a pocket gun for various things from time-to-time, I figure I might as well have one that controls-wise mimics the 1911s I do everything else with, one of C&S' extended thumb safeties should make it feasible.
    I tried basically the Springfield equivalent and got my hand shredded for my troubles.

I've been pretty wary of micro-1911oids ever since.

As contradictory as it may be to my statement above, I found that pocket gun stuff is best handled by an LCP custom.

Actual sights help a ton and it is still pocket sized. It's one of the only non 1911 guns I carry and that's mostly due to the fact that I've found nothing that fits the pocket gun niche so well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    I tried basically the Springfield equivalent and got my hand shredded for my troubles.

I've been pretty wary of micro-1911oids ever since.

As contradictory as it may be to my statement above, I found that pocket gun stuff is best handled by an LCP custom.

Actual sights help a ton and it is still pocket sized. It's one of the only non 1911 guns I carry and that's mostly due to the fact that I've found nothing that fits the pocket gun niche so well for me.

Right I remember you mentioning that in my Colt Mustang (and Clones) thread - sharp slide, hammer bite, or both?

Site Supporter
    Slide bite. It was mostly due to getting my hand up too high. Something about how high up the beaver tail was compared to how little it seemed to do to keep your hand from getting run over by the slide in recoil.

I probably should try out the Mustang or the Sig version just to see.

I like my little Sig 938s in 9mm as pocket 1911s.... They are slightly larger than the little .380s though.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Maybe you don't have the right chainsaw then.

I just came in from cutting wood and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE my chainsaws.
    I have the right chainsaw/saws. I have three. Just sharpened 2 of them yesterday. I loaned my 036 Pro to my neighbor a few days ago who was working way too hard on a 24" maple using too small of a saw. I don't cut or burn wood anymore, been here 25 years, but there was a time. Both of my neighbors still cut and burn. I treat my saws like I treat my lawnmower. Not a tool junkie or a Russian.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I treat my saws like I treat my lawnmower. Not a tool junkie or a Russian.
    Ah, one of the Great Unwashed LOL

Not sure I'm the 47 year old to ask as I cut my teeth on Jeff Cooper and am an unabashed Gunsite fan... OK, OK, yes, I've switched to 9mm, and while I have a beautiful 9mm 1911, I keep a Sig P226 SAO w/20+1 by the bed. It's kinda the same.... but more reliable.

Still, Wild Bill did just find with his 1851 Colts into the days of cartridge guns. And, if a .45 1911 landed in my hands, I'd feel a lot more Excalibur than I would, "What happened to all my bullets?"

The old stuff works just as well against flesh and bone as it did in the day it was the new hotness.

Men fight. Pick the tool and take your chances.

As for being and old Fudd, embrace the sickness.

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    Ah, one of the Great Unwashed LOL
    We have a lot of chainsaw connoisseurs around here being the PNW and all. I'm not one however. I've used a few some people have never heard off like Dolmar and Jonsered. Knew a few honest to god loggers also but I can't claim that title. Most of the mills are closed now.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifting Fate View Post
    Not sure I'm the 47 year old to ask as I cut my teeth on Jeff Cooper and am an unabashed Gunsite fan... OK, OK, yes, I've switched to 9mm, and while I have a beautiful 9mm 1911, I keep a Sig P226 SAO w/20+1 by the bed. It's kinda the same.... but more reliable.

Still, Wild Bill did just find with his 1851 Colts into the days of cartridge guns. And, if a .45 1911 landed in my hands, I'd feel a lot more Excalibur than I would, "What happened to all my bullets?"

The old stuff works just as well against flesh and bone as it did in the day it was the new hotness.

Men fight. Pick the tool and take your chances.

As for being and old Fudd, embrace the sickness.
    Rocks and bronze weapons still work against flesh and bone but there are better options now.

Hickok is known to have converted at least some, if not all, of his 1851 and 1860 cap and ball guns to metallic cartridges via Richards-mason conversions. He died in 1876 so this was pretty much staying with the best tools available at the time given the speed and manner of communications in those days.

Shooting and fighting are two different things. One being a potential component of the other. In a fight, bullets are opportunities.

When Col. Cooper proselytized the 1911, revolvers reigned and 7+1 with quick reloads was a quantifiable advantage, providing more opportunities than a or 6 shot revolver. That whole best tools available at the time thing again.

If you live a low risk lifestyle or the prospect of getting into a fight for your life is not 100% real to you, giving up opportunities to save yourself or others, or giving up some performance can seem like no big deal. Me, I'll take every advantage I can get.

In fairness a 1911 is still a more viable fighting tool than say a classic Cooper scout bolt gun. It seems to me there were two Coopers, the innovative / evolutionary Cooper and the Dogmatic Cooper. Cooper was innovative and evolutionary up until he decided that his way was THE way and stopped looking for other/ better ways as he had in the past. In his latter days Cooper expressed a grudging respect for Glocks and red dot sights on the "poodle shooters" the lads were using in Mesopotamia. I think that was the old Cooper leaking out from the shell of the guy who was too often trying to re-fight the boer war.
    Last edited by HCM; 03-24-2020 at 08:06 PM.

User Tag List