Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Corona virus/covid-19. What is essential services?

Corona virus/covid-19. What is essential services?

During the corona virus/covid-19 crisis, some counties/states have compiled a list of what is considered essential service such as a grocery store or fast food restaurant with take out and medical marijuana, because of this stressful time you may need your medicine.

However what is not essential is your local gun store. Is it a 2A issue and essential service?

https://youtu.be/vdkq8OvqfkA

It's an Interesting question, but a question I've had is:

Is there "punishment" involved if a "non-essential" business remains open?

The place I work at makes food processing equipment. Is that an essential business?
    "Well you know, it's a toolbox. You put the tools in for the job." Sam

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay585 View Post
    It's an Interesting question, but a question I've had is:

The place I work at makes food processing equipment. Is that an essential business?
    You might be.

My company put out a memo today stating it believes it is an Essential Critical Infrastructure business under US Dept. of Homeland Security CISA definitions and therefore exempt from stay/shelter in place orders. What is unclear is whether this was done to shut up a particularly whiny employee or to actually serve as notice for the ECI status.

Right now, I’m thinking more A than B, but I’m sure it is a combination.

Looking at the CISA website, I’d say that a fairly large segment of the employed population would fall into one of those categories.

https://www.cisa.gov/critical-infrastructure-sectors

My county seems to have followed the CISA doc closely. It essentially lists the "essential" categories, then lists the industries that might support those industries. What I'm trying to make the boss understand, is that even though we fall under the "essential" category, it doesn't mean that we can do whatever we feel like. Our shelter-in-place order "encourages" essential businesses to keep running but limit activities to "Basic Minimum Operations".

Site Supporter
    I work for a company that manufactures parts for the power grid. As such, we're considered "essential" by almost everyone's definition.

It is a double edged sword of sorts... on the one hand, I'm grateful that I won't be getting laid off. On the other hand, I'm still having to show up to the office every day and expose my wife every night after work.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bshnt2015 View Post

However what is not essential is your local gun store. Is it a 2A issue and essential service?
    Indiana:
    firearm and ammunition suppliers and retailers for purposes of safety and security
    source: https://regionnewssource.org/detaile...s-for-indiana/
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Businesses that are deemed essential include grocery stores, farm and produce stands, gas stations, automobile dealerships, auto repair and auto supply stores, banks, hardware stores, shipping companies, media businesses and businesses that “provide food, shelter, social services or other necessities of life for economically disadvantaged or otherwise needy individuals,” the order stated.
    This is Florida's definition. LOL.

But hey, Jimmy Kimmel and Ellen are broadcasting from their homes. So I'm sure this is all very real.

Essential services

In California, it's drifting towards fines and threats of imprisonment. For example, SJPD chief is reassigning patrol officers to be compliance officers, meaning if the business or comerce is not essential service, they will shut them down. I understand the point but if you're a business owner and can offer the community a service for food or supplies, why are you shutting them down and then later make the business seek government financial support? Just throwing out both sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYjOW20HGqU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBSx5HD2JrY

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I'm happy they consider dispensaries to be essential services in Denver to be honest. The last thing I want are the hoodrats of denver to suddenly have lots of time on their hands and no weed.

User Tag List