Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 LastLast

Thread: Corona Boredom Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I hung my feeders on a wire about 10' from the trees. Squirrels learned to walk the wire. So I made some rat guards out of sheet metal and put those on the wire. They still get over those. They're very resourceful critters. Presently I'm having some fum with a pellet rifle. Since I don't like to kill them I use a low velocity air gun. I also have a scoped high velocity air gun that will make them DRT. Training them now to live fire and pain. Hoping they'll move to the neighbors feeders where they feed them. Squirrels are like Russians, give them an inch and they take a mile.
    I've watched them do every sort of tightrope, balance beam and tumbling routine to get to their goal. They are amazing and totally undaunted.

I have an old spring action BB gun I picked up from Walmart many years ago and it's not powerful. I've been out on the deck and told my wife to watch the squirrel about 20 yards away. I'd take a shot and hit him, and could clearly see the BB bounce off him as the squirrel turned, gave me a dirty look, raised a middle finger and ran off. (Now they get even by gnawing my recycled soda bottle deck furniture.) Karma.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I've watched them do every sort of tightrope, balance beam and tumbling routine to get to their goal. They are amazing and totally undaunted.

I have an old spring action BB gun I picked up from Walmart many years ago and it's not powerful. I've been out on the deck and told my wife to watch the squirrel about 20 yards away. I'd take a shot and hit him, and could clearly see the BB bounce off him as the squirrel turned, gave me a dirty look, raised a middle finger and ran off. (Now they get even by gnawing my recycled soda bottle deck furniture.) Karma.
    You're have more compassion for them than I do.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Squirrels are nature's way of reminding you that even when you're near the top of the food chain, things below you may not give a fuck.

Last squirrel I shot was throwing acorns at me from a tree outside of my parents garage. I hit him with a .177 BB from a CO2 pistol with a fresh cartridge in it, probably 20-yards? It hit him hard enough to know he'd been shot. So he scampered away. 20 minutes later, he's back throwing acorns at me.

I went into the garage to hunt for some pellets I knew dad had around, by the time I found them and returned to finish him off, he'd wandered away. Damn things do not care.

Now that I think about it - in Austin we had a bird feeder on our deck and every once in awhile squirrels would figure that out. I shot them at 7-feet with an airsoft gun and that turned out to be more effective overall. The pain in the ass things there were the asshole bluejays. Which I also enjoyed shooting with an airsoft gun.

This went on for about 5 minutes one day. Dog would inch around the tree, squirrel would Spiderman his way out of sight, and round and round they went. Of course the dog is too dumb to move faster or, you know, look UP [emoji41]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Our dog Skyler tries her damndest to climb the trees after them...
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Our dog Skyler tries her damndest to climb the trees after them...
    I used to have a standard Schnauzer, and her mother was a squirrel killing machine. She would jump and snatch them off the tree trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    This went on for about 5 minutes one day. Dog would inch around the tree, squirrel would Spiderman his way out of sight, and round and round they went. Of course the dog is too dumb to move faster or, you know, look UP [emoji41]

Moar pictures of the Mini Schnauzer please.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Moar pictures of the Mini Schnauzer please.
    But of course.
    This is Rally, and she seems to believe that she's a cat, so the back of the chair is her natural habitat. If I'm sitting there, my shoulder becomes fair game as a head and/or butt rest.

Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    But of course.
    This is Rally, and she seems to believe that she's a cat, so the back of the chair is her natural habitat. If I'm sitting there, my shoulder becomes fair game as a head and/or butt rest.

U might want to see a doc... your complexion is a bit... pale.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    I hung my feeders on a wire about 10' from the trees. Squirrels learned to walk the wire. So I made some rat guards out of sheet metal and put those on the wire. They still get over those. They're very resourceful critters. Presently I'm having some fum with a pellet rifle. Since I don't like to kill them I use a low velocity air gun. I also have a scoped high velocity air gun that will make them DRT. Training them now to live fire and pain. Hoping they'll move to the neighbors feeders where they feed them. Squirrels are like Russians, give them an inch and they take a mile.
    I did the same thing exactly. I figured no way they could make it down a 1/8" wire. Wrong. Then I tried the rat guards (acrylic domes). Nope. Ultimately, what worked was, feeder on the wire and a 26" dome over the top of it. If you price a 26" acrylic dome, it's stupid expensive. But, if you buy a 26" convex security mirror and pop the mirror out of it, it's not.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

User Tag List