Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sawing off your own shotgun - ATF Forms/steps

That is actually a Stevens 520-30 takedown that they rebranded. Lots of those 520's got to be trenchguns in U.S. Military service or got "drafted" in WW II by the DSC and issued to prisons and police forces during the war.

It is one of those guns that can be "slamfired" by holding the trigger back and just working the action.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    That is actually a Stevens 520-30 takedown that they rebranded. Lots of those 520's got to be trenchguns in U.S. Military service or got "drafted" in WW II by the DSC and issued to prisons and police forces during the war.

It is one of those guns that can be "slamfired" by holding the trigger back and just working the action.
    Well.. whaddya know. Indeed it is.

Name:  Shotgun-04.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  57.2 KB

I never knew that... or better put, Dad never showed me that particularly convenient feature.

Thanks for that bit of highly useful information! this will become a highly portable package.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

What is the proper technique for cutting a barrel? Put in a vise; measure to length; cut perpendicular with a hacksaw; file smooth and blue?

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    The military bought non-trench guns for gunnery training. Skip to 6:40 for a brief scene of such training.

"Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    What is the proper technique for cutting a barrel? Put in a vise; measure to length; cut perpendicular with a hacksaw; file smooth and blue?
    I've not done it myself, but I've heard a pipe cutter works great for shotgun barrels.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    I've not done it myself, but I've heard a pipe cutter works great for shotgun barrels.
    I've seen some vids of people attempting that and it doesn't appear to work all that well. The blades flatten out well before the barrel is cut, plus it takes a loooong time to get through the hardened steel. Perhaps an industrial grade pipe cutter with super hardened blades.

The most successful DIY method I've seen so far seems to be taping the barrel, and then using a hose clamp, positioning the wider base/screw at the bottom, for a straight edge and then cut down to almost through, remover the hose clamp and finish. Then file, sand, etc.

Honestly, this is new to me so I really have very little knowledge and only some vague idea.

I may try taking this one down to 18.5 (down an inch or two at a time until I develop a consistent technique) as practice and then decide whether the results are good enough to want to do the finished SBS myself after approval or just pay to have it done by a pro.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    just pay to have it done by a pro.
    That's what I did when I form 1'ed my 870 SBS. I needed to have a gunsmith put a new front sight on the barrel anyways, so I had him cut it down too.

I had a machinist cut mine, AFTER I had the approved Form 1 with stamp in hand, and he cut it in my presence. Whilst I held the paperwork, and giggled like a little schoolgirl.

It's a 12.5" 870 Wingmaster, and runs like a scalded dog.

The second one I used a pipe cutter to score the barrel, then used a vise and hacksaw to finish. I finished the barrel with some files from Brownells, then used some Insta-Rust to refinish the exposed muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    Well.. whaddya know. Indeed it is.

Name:  Shotgun-04.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  57.2 KB

I never knew that... or better put, Dad never showed me that particularly convenient feature.

Thanks for that bit of highly useful information! this will become a highly portable package.

So I just looked it up in my old Blue Book of Gun Values from 2003 so adjust accordingly. A Stevens branded 520-30 Long Barrel comes up as:

98% $500
    95% $400
    90% $225
    80% $175

It's not entirely valueless and is still a cool piece of history especially with sentimental value. Not telling you not to do it, but it might be something to think about before you F1 it which is the way to go if you decide to do it. I have a lathe, that is the correct way to shorten it. If I was closer to GA I would do it for splitting a six pack and a pepperoni pizza. Make friends with somebody who has a lathe. Another option would be to find an old Trench Gun barrel or just shorten it to trench gun size (if that's over 18"). I don't know if you hunt but if you have kids or grandkids who will hunt it might be a great heirloom to be able to pass down.

My advice that you didn't ask for would be to throw it in the safe and just buy yourself a new gun instead. That's what I would do!!

JMO

User Tag List