Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Crime Picking up in Your Area

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Nothing unusual that I have noticed in my neck of the woods. We got 12" of snow on Thursday which, combined with the virus, has planted everyone right where they are.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Second, I've read good reviews on the product, size, appearance, effectiveness from various individuals, here, elsewhere, from both LEO and civilian alike. I know Chris has mentioned that he was able to carry it into public places, Disney World?, where other canisters might have been subject to confiscation or being locked up.
    Yup, Disney World, where even a SAK would be banned. The POM unit even passed through multiple metal detectors, including a manual wanding. Mine is white with a coral stripe.

As for the breakages, I've been carrying the same unit since last July. I've clipped it to thick Duluth Firehose pants, I've rolled around on concrete while working on my truck with it clipped in my pocket, I've clipped it into the waistband of my running shorts while running in the woods. No cracks or breakages for me.

POM is what John Murphy uses and gives away in his pepper spray class too.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Rich, I'm not a pepper spray expert and haven't carried it in years. It is simply from being bombarded by the logic of my friends here (and elsewhere online) that I succumbed and decided to override my inertia. Probably also makes a lot more sense from a legal standpoint and not relying solely on a sap or flashlight as the less than lethal option.

I picked POM for a few reasons. First, it comes in a package that immediately appealed to my wife. (White with purple stripe.) That means she will carry it.

Second, I've read good reviews on the product, size, appearance, effectiveness from various individuals, here, elsewhere, from both LEO and civilian alike. I know Chris has mentioned that he was able to carry it into public places, Disney World?, where other canisters might have been subject to confiscation or being locked up.

I had read of some issues with the cap here on the forum, (breakage primarily), but that the company stood behind the product and replaced right away.

As for disposal, I think it would be safe to empty the canister in a safe direction outdoors...or possibly leave stashed in the house as an emergency backup for a period of time. It's not that the contents will be ineffective as much as the propellant may have dissipated that is the risk.
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Yup, Disney World, where even a SAK would be banned. The POM unit even passed through multiple metal detectors, including a manual wanding. Mine is white with a coral stripe.

As for the breakages, I've been carrying the same unit since last July. I've clipped it to thick Duluth Firehose pants, I've rolled around on concrete while working on my truck with it clipped in my pocket, I've clipped it into the waistband of my running shorts while running in the woods. No cracks or breakages for me.

POM is what John Murphy uses and gives away in his pepper spray class too.

Chris
    Excellent, thank you both.

If it is good enough for Mr. Murphy, that's good enough for me. I recall taking his lecture at Tac-Con one year. How unfortunate he was so hard to hear. (*)

* Kidding. Mr. Murphy has no difficulty in making himself heard. I highly enjoyed his lecture and if I were anywhere near NoVa, he is on my short list of instructors to train with.

From my discussion with a local officer here, crime is down in my city. Lots of heavily-armed homeowners in their houses, in one of the most "blue" counties in Texas. Seems like a deterrent to me,

Very few changes at Rancho Serious. Benelli M2 loaded with Flite-Control leaning in the corner of the upstairs home office. Beretta 1301 in the downstairs master bedroom.

Speaking of pepper spray, one of these by each exterior door in case an angry mob of Jehovah Witnesses drops by:

https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...l-grenade-mk-5

Made chicken Parmesan and risotto last night, and it was great! Brought some to an elderly widow neighbor and left it on her doorstep. She's a sweetie, and everyone in the neighborhood loves her. She was always very kind to my GSD, and her husband was a retired Marine officer who fought at Hue. She may also have a BCM carbine in her house now.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    From my discussion with a local officer here, crime is down in my city. Lots of heavily-armed homeowners in their houses, in one of the most "blue" counties in Texas. Seems like a deterrent to me,

Very few changes at Rancho Serious. Benelli M2 loaded with Flite-Control leaning in the corner of the upstairs home office. Beretta 1301 in the downstairs master bedroom.

Speaking of pepper spray, one of these by each exterior door in case an angry mob of Jehovah Witnesses drops by:

https://www.sabrered.com/pepper-spra...l-grenade-mk-5

Made chicken Parmesan and risotto last night, and it was great! Brought some to an elderly widow neighbor and left it on her doorstep. She's a sweetie, and everyone in the neighborhood loves her. She was always very kind to my GSD, and her husband was a retired Marine officer who fought at Hue. She may also have a BCM carbine in her house now.
    This virus was a good excuse to clean my ARs dedicated for social purposes.

I definitely have been craving a quality semi-auto 12 gauge, however. That will have to go on the list for when all this craziness is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    As some will become more desperate, crime will pick up. It’s 330am and I just walked my property and house. The noise from the highway is different. Are you prepared? Has this changed your security posture like it has mine?
    I don't foresee anybody becoming "desperate" during this.

But the lack of society's needed releases can make otherwise passive people turn into real assholes. Which is right around the corner.

Just in case, I am going to hang "COVID-19 Positive" signs on my house. That should reduce my potential assailants to only the infected ones .

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post

I definitely have been craving a quality semi-auto 12 gauge, however. That will have to go on the list for when all this craziness is over.
    I suspect you will be able to pick up a nice one in July when everybody sees their credit card statements, and also needs to pay their taxes.

I'm awfully fond of semi-auto social shotguns that begin with the letter "B".

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I suspect you will be able to pick up a nice one in July when everybody sees their credit card statements, and also needs to pay their taxes.

I'm awfully fond of semi-auto social shotguns that begin with the letter "B".
    I was eyeing either a used Benelli M2 or a new 1301 Tactical. All look like great options ...

Quote Originally Posted by cornstalker View Post
    Just in case, I am going to hang "COVID-19 Positive" signs on my house. That should reduce my potential assailants to only the infected ones .
    I've been thinking about this too but I am using Amazon and UPS more than usual these days and I don't want to scare the drivers.

We're not a criminal hotspot but our number of GSW and penetrating trauma cases has gone down. Too short of a time span to say if it is a trend or just random. Actually all trauma is down, wonder if people are more careful.

I started to carry G19 more, G48 less. My SCAR16 is now more easily accessible but I think it is an overreaction.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

User Tag List