Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Crime Picking up in Your Area

Is Crime Picking up in Your Area

As some will become more desperate, crime will pick up. It’s 330am and I just walked my property and house. The noise from the highway is different. Are you prepared? Has this changed your security posture like it has mine?

Quote Originally Posted by Arbninftry View Post
    As some will become more desperate, crime will pick up. It’s 330am and I just walked my property and house. The noise from the highway is different. Are you prepared? Has this changed your security posture like it has mine?
    No crime increase. There is no curfew, but there isn't much open at night. If you're up to no good, you'll stick out like a sore thumb. This is not our first rodeo, because this is what it's like after every hurricane. I expect night shift LEOs will clean house.

I do not do night time perimeter checks, but we did take the dogs out at 0400. They confirmed there were no cats in the yard.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I've got no way of knowing.

For sure local daytime traffic is down to maybe 10% here in the Tampa area. Assuming the same level of .leo presence around the clock, I would suspect any shithead movement at night is going to be pretty noticeable.

The feeling here in FL as best I can describe it is like the 3-5 days before a Hurricane is expected, and you've decided to ride it out. There's a dryness in your throat as you board up. You go inside for water because it is hot AF and the TV is on blaring about "the cone" and where it's headed. You make a mental estimate of where your location is, then go back and check the gas is fresh on the generator for the 100th time.

People are just doing what they need, then going back home it seems. Personally I am more worried about crazies in the parking lot at Publix. Last week walking out the door with my one (1) package of TP that I had to wait in line from 6:30AM to retrieve, I walked out after patting my Glock 19 and did a fairly exhaustive scan of the cars in the lot for anyone that looked sketchy. Overreaction? Maybe, maybe not. Certainly while we used the ATM, I was oriented outward to cover my wife's 6 as she operated the machine.

The few times I've gone out this week people seem ok, but I doubt it would take much in the way of stress to start to tip some over the edge. Plus being in their house or apartment for days at a time they are going to get a little cabin fever. I'm thinking fights between neighbors, road rage, that kind of thing.

It would seem property crime would be down because the asshole that cruises apartment complexes at 11am with a screwdriver is going to be met with almost 100% occupancy. And of course being Florida, lots of gun toting homeowners.

Many places are electing to release inmates in their jails in order to reduce inmate population. The thought is that, once the virus makes it into a jail, it will spread rapidly through the inmates and to corrections staff (who would require replacement, here likely from patrol deputies as we're not working with a very deep bench). Reduced population density will hopefully allow some containment of any jail outbreaks.

Locally, there was some rhyme and reason to this, and violent criminals and other persons viewed as a significant public safety risk were not released. However, plenty of people in custody for things like theft, meth, and auto burglary were released, and typical sentences for technical violations of probation (failed drug tests, nonreporting, etc.) were heavily altered.

Likewise, probation supervision is dropping as departments are seeking to reduce their in-person visits; a neighboring state postponed them alltogether.

From reading articles on various news sites, I've gathered this is a national trend.

I don't like the options here. Nevertheless, I cannot imagine these folks walked out of jail and thought, "thank you for your generosity, I suppose that was my last car break-in."

In sum, I don't think anybody would be irrational to raise their "security posture," or whatever you choose to refer to it as.

A lot of agencies are taking property crime reports over the phone if there is no suspect. You can bet there will be little follow up other than an extra patrol or two.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by runcible View Post
    Uh....

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Nothing of note here, going by local news reports on different sources.

RUMINT is that the cops are not writing tickets for minor moving violations. But I don't know anyone who is testing that.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I have nothing to prove to you. (...) We had an active shooter incident what three weeks ago the week before that some crackhead with walking up and down the street stabbing people. (...)

So again is that good enough for you or are you just looking for a pissing contest?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    But where is the shooting that you described?
    Jules
    Runcible Works

Banned

I mean I could do this all day long. I could flood the whole thread with it but I'm not interested in playing to the peanut gallery.

I live here. I know everybody on pistol forum is the smartest guy in the room but please don't try to tell me what the fuck is going on in my city

User Tag List