Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: "Working Remotely" (beyond COVID-19)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Prior to now we've had a no work from home policy with the understanding that folks can work from home as needed. I do design and analysis and can VPN in or borrow a license for Solidworks and ANSYS on my personal machine without issue. I can do 100% remote and not skip a beat as far as the company is concerned, they just didn't believe people could be functional. Since this stuff popped up we've had a forced shift and now it's becoming a possibility of being possible once normal is back.
    Your organization seems to have serious employee trust issues.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    One of my guys insists on trying to share files for collaboration through Teams. I don't get it. We have all of our files saved on a cloud/sync based system and we also all have MS Office 365 which allows for collaboration. The last thing I want Teams to become is a new email!
    I’m not a fan of Teams at all, but that may be due to how we implemented it. At last count, my company of 160 or so has over 70 Teams channels. It’s a clusterfuck trying to find information.

Plus, we’re in the middle of a conversion to SharePoint that is the most miserable conversion experience I’ve ever had. We are document driven, and some very poor metadata decisions were made.

You’d think a tech company would be able to figure this out, wouldn’t you?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Your organization seems to have serious employee trust issues.
    A little, but not from my management side. They're coming around right quick though.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

A little, but not from my management side. They're coming around right quick though.
    Good. Our productivity soared once certain choke point management members got the hell out of the way and treated us like the professionals that we are. Being an ESOP helped.
    Ken

That has been brought up by three people other than those who were against it. We should be good now that the folks against it are working from home too.

We've also set up Slack for chatter and people are seeing us poke in and out and getting shit done. It's having a good impression.

Prior to now we've had a no work from home policy with the understanding that folks can work from home as needed. I do design and analysis and can VPN in or borrow a license for Solidworks and ANSYS on my personal machine without issue. I can do 100% remote and not skip a beat as far as the company is concerned, they just didn't believe people could be functional. Since this stuff popped up we've had a forced shift and now it's becoming a possibility of being possible once normal is back.

Work from Home Requirements:
    • Advance notice of the intention to work remotely will be required so that a work plan can be put in place to ensure productivity.
    • While working remotely, communication with your line manager will be required a minimum of 2 times a day to talk about tasks at hand and the days accomplishments and to obtain a current health status of each employee.
    • Up do date maintenance of all calendars is required to facilitate the scheduling of virtual meetings/conference calls as required.
    • Internal staff email message should be updated daily to provide a notification that you are working remotely. This message should include contact methods for ease of reference.
    • Please work to maintain an appropriate work environment at home to eliminate outside distractions. Please discuss any concerns around this requirement with your line manager.
    • When the need arises to be on-site, please refrain from bringing any non-staff members (i.e. children, parents, etc.) onto work property. This is to help ensure the safety and health of all involved.
    this policy is the reaction to the Kungflu, and so drafted in the last week or two?

I really don't have any objection to most of that, particularly for a company just starting to get into this, but that "2 times a day" thing is pretty stupid, although I'd say I do communicate with my direct-reports at least that much now, mostly initiated by them.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    this policy is the reaction to the COVID-19, and so drafted in the last week or two?

I really don't have any objection to most of that, particularly for a company just starting to get into this, but that "2 times a day" thing is pretty stupid, although I'd say I do communicate with my direct-reports at least that much now, mostly initiated by them.
    Yeah. The only people who weren't annoyed by that were the folks who wrote it. Thankfully those people don't decide shit. My boss and CEO are fine with me doing what I do. We chatter now about smoking meat and memes.

Again, the folks who set some of this feared WFH, hence the way things look.

Site Supporter
    Ultimately - it is not a technology question but a cultural change discussion. We are a traditional heavy industry but had already started a path to Transformation that leads to a lot of changes. We saw that Talent was going to be an issue in the future as we have an older work force starting to retire and many new workers are not embracing heavy manufacturing. If a large company cannot embrace remote work - they may not be able to survive the future.

Work from Home Requirements:
    • Advance notice of the intention to work remotely will be required so that a work plan can be put in place to ensure productivity.
    • While working remotely, communication with your line manager will be required a minimum of 2 times a day to talk about tasks at hand and the days accomplishments and to obtain a current health status of each employee.
    • Up do date maintenance of all calendars is required to facilitate the scheduling of virtual meetings/conference calls as required.
    • Internal staff email message should be updated daily to provide a notification that you are working remotely. This message should include contact methods for ease of reference.
    • Please work to maintain an appropriate work environment at home to eliminate outside distractions. Please discuss any concerns around this requirement with your line manager.
    • When the need arises to be on-site, please refrain from bringing any non-staff members (i.e. children, parents, etc.) onto work property. This is to help ensure the safety and health of all involved.
    Our policy is functionally the same.

Monday was the last day I saw my team. We are all working remotely unless someone needs lab access, and I am limiting the number of people in a lab at the same time to two.

For me, the hardest part is keeping in touch with everyone. Some like to phone, some like to email, and some like to use IMs. I do whatever works for each person. I trust the team to do the work, and, so far, they have done a great job.

For my team, the hardest part is getting clear direction as our customers are changing strategies like people who have carry rotations carry guns. I have spent quite a bit of time checking for the latest customer requirements and making sure the program manager has informed my engineer. The chaos in automotive right now is impressive.

User Tag List