View Poll Results: How are you conducting work?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • No changes

43 27.74%
  • Partial changes (limited activites, partial telework)

37 23.87%
  • 100% telework

64 41.29%
  • Not working, still getting paid

5 3.23%
  • Not working, not getting paid

6 3.87%
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Work and Covid-19

Academia and performance. Dorms just evac’d and order given to shutter campus living. Everything going online, and we’ve been told to,"make the learning outcomes happen." For me, this includes rehearsing an honors string quartet that is now spread across 3 states and BC, Canada.

Of course, every venue and gig is toast through the end of May, at the soonest.

The bad news: half of my course load is getting squashed, and tapping out with regularity. The good news is that I’m learning a lot, and I’m acquiring some new tools to help me kick even more ass when I get to roll again in the fall. Assuming that any of us are still employed, that is.

The state place has a hard hiring freeze in effect for next quarter. This includes adjuncts. Who are on Q2Q contracts... and make up well over half the faculty in my department... so, yeah.

Fortunately, I am a legendarily squeaky wheel, so I had a signed contract for next Q back in early Feb.

To call this a "massive sea change" for my discipline would be a gross understatement. We shall see what the fall brings, and what’s left standing.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

50+% reduction of physical presence at the hospital and clinic. We are all reducing our own schedules and are trying to coordinate so we don't intersect too much. This week I will be at work 65%, next week hopefully 25% of the time. Pay so far unaffected but I expect that to change.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Site Supporter
    Oil major.

Helping company cling to life—from home

Quote Originally Posted by Seven_Sicks_Two View Post
    Still working. Business as usual.

I'm in sales/marketing for a manufacturing company. I could very easily do this from home, even during normal conditions... but management is traditional and like to have everyone in one location. New business has dropped to almost nothing, so teleworking would be even easier now. However, the products for our open orders still need to be produced, and the guys in the shop can't do that from home. Since everyone can't work from home, management has decided that we're all working on site.

In my opinion, they have a pretty optimistic view of their "plan", which includes things like "encouraging social distancing" and "leaving doors propped open so people don't have to use doorknobs". If anyone feels ill, they're being asked to stay at home and use any sick time/PTO they have to self-quarantine. We received a letter from HR today, asking us to donate PTO for others to use if they're sick.

Today, they put out a big meat and cheese platter with crackers as communal snacks for everyone. I'm washing my hands a lot, wiping down my desk frequently, and using hand sanitizer I brought from home.

My wife has been working from home since 03/06, and her company plans to extend that for at least 4 more weeks. We have enough food/supplies on hand at home to last us several weeks without leaving the house.

I worry about bringing something home and getting her sick.
    I work for a manufacturers rep firm and I could ditto your reply 100%. Our owner is old school and has not even considered allowing the sales team to work from home which we all should be able to do 100% if he would give us access to our desktops from remote.. its completely unbelievable to me that we are stuck in the 1980's.....
    Johnny Walker

My hardware store, lumber yard, rental division and trucking are 100% open and functioning. It is your personal decision if you want to do business with us and we are honoring any request if someone wants us to do some sort of transaction without human contact. At this point we have not had a single customer take us up on the offer. Surprisingly, I have not seen a downturn in sales or transactions. Unless this thing is arrested in the next two weeks, I will begin to really feel it.

Unfortunately, as I posted in another thread. My town is suffering drastically with the shut down of most businesses since they are tourist related. There is no way I will avoid being affected.

Large hospitality business on 30 day closure minimum. Most team members on 30 days paid leave. Small number of team members onsite for various needs. Onsite team split in two. Half on paid leave 14 days and will return to work with the other half going out 14 days paid leave in about a week when relieved by the other cohort. Small number of admin and management team telecommuting.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    My hardware store, lumber yard, rental division and trucking are 100% open and functioning.
    If I was home and not on TDY, I would be self quarantined/teleworking, and I would be at the hardware store at least once, stocking up on paint and supplies to take care of all the home improvement stuff i could. If you are stuck at home, may as well, make home nicer.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Working from home. I design stuff and oversee builds for a big telecom; I could probably have worked from home before this. Now I'm definitely going to try to keep doing it forever; I had an okay office before but no windows.

Now I have a view and natural light.

This summer I might set up a microwave can shot to my island place and see if I can work up there; it's physically possible but I'm not quite sure if I want to do it or not.

But working from home I just love. And my employers tripled the VPN speed since yesterday and have promised more upgrades over the coming weeks. So far this apocalypse is really great.

Contracting for a tech firm in western Washington about 20 miles as the crow flies from Kirkland, where COVID-19 was first spotted in the US.

100% telework probably through the end of April with planning to go longer underway.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

My spouse an I are both working from home, soon just her as my work relies on attorneys who aren’t getting a bunch of work at the moment, but man in a few months I can’t wait... all those divorces...

User Tag List