View Poll Results: How are you conducting work?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • No changes

43 27.74%
  • Partial changes (limited activites, partial telework)

37 23.87%
  • 100% telework

64 41.29%
  • Not working, still getting paid

5 3.23%
  • Not working, not getting paid

6 3.87%
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: POLL: Work and Covid-19

Partial work, partial pay at the moment though the partial work is 100% telecommuting.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    FED GOV Employee...

FLETC is still in full swing. We are still working.
    Cheltenham has at least part of its workforce teleworking.

I marked business as usual which is true afaik. But i haven't been to work in two weeks due to a death in the family and then a planned leave taking care of a family member after a surgery. I haven't gotten any word on change yet, which is expected since i work in the supply chain of a large retailer. I imagine we're swamped. Not sure what kind of precautions their taking in our near 1k person facility. Hell my department alone has enough people to beat the 50 person limit on events etc...i return Saturday and will find out what kind of carnage is waiting.
    "...we suffer more in imagination than in reality." Seneca, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Working from home. I design stuff and oversee builds for a big telecom; I could probably have worked from home before this. Now I'm definitely going to try to keep doing it forever; I had an okay office before but no windows.

Now I have a view and natural light.

This summer I might set up a microwave can shot to my island place and see if I can work up there; it's physically possible but I'm not quite sure if I want to do it or not.

But working from home I just love. And my employers tripled the VPN speed since yesterday and have promised more upgrades over the coming weeks. So far this apocalypse is really great.
    Not quite so idyllic here, but still pretty sweet since I'm so introverted that I should probably be treated for it.

We already have solid mobile collaboration and productivity tools but they need to be made more robust. COVID-19 will force employers to develop the mindset, SOPs, and TTPs required to make telework an effective long-term option. Combine all of that intelligently and you could see far less need to invest in physical infrastructure and make other operational expenditures. You could also see massive reductions in commute time/cost factors that become an sustainability differentiator.

We just need to get middle managers used to it and comfortable with it, and workers need to be productive and responsible to keep from fucking it up.

This could be the exact opposite of the open-plan office if we do it right.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Currently "Deployed" in Kuwait. We're working like always. Nothing official yet, but it seems highly likely that we'll be 1-2 months late coming home. That's a pretty serious bummer.

On pretty much all US bases in theater, they've gotten rid of all the local trinket vendors, and all the AAFES franchises like Subway and Taco Bell are closed. Rec rooms (Both MWR and Red Cross) and Gyms and the theater, etc are all closed too.
    PX and Barbershops only at the moment, with curtailed hours. Any movement into any other country requires a 14 day quarantine too. Anyone showing anything even resembling symptoms is quarantined for observation and tested, and only released after testing negative.
    A rumor spread on Arifjan that the PX's and shopettes were all going to close a few days back, and there was a huge run on all of them. But so far the warehouse stocks for the PX get the shelves restocked overnight. Except for hand sanitizer and a few other similar products, naturally. A similar run happened on Buehring but not as bad.
    I'm not on AJ anymore, and I'm working with the Kuwaitis for the foreseeable future. Their measures have all been very similar. They're terrified of it, rightfully so, and have pulled out all the stops.

My wife is a contractor working for the USAF, and it's 100% telework now except for stuff that absolutely must be physically done in person, which is a few of her coworkers but not her. So far she's enjoyed the freedom of working from home and she's getting more done, and her bosses have noticed and congratulated her accordingly. No word on whether or not that will continue indefinitely or how that's going to affect the contract she works for in the coming months, but for now it's all OK.

My sister is a schoolteacher with a 4 year old son, so her whole life is up-ended right now. All local schools are closed, all restaurants bars etc are all take out only, etc etc. She feels awful for the Senior class of 2020, as they're not likely to get a graduation ceremony or even a chance to walk their campus one last time. All of her teaching so far has converted to online content fairly well, but not all the students and teachers have been able to keep up with that adjustment.
    Schools have arranged for food to be available to schoolage kids no questions asked, as well as lot of various food delivery and drop off programs that are still springing up. Lots of buy-local stuff on social media is encouraging folks to get take-out from the mom and pop restaurants that are getting hit the hardest. Lots of medium sized businesses like bigger microbreweries are really getting hit hard too, and have to rely on carry-out package sales only.

A friend of mine who lives in Las Vegas NV sent me a picture of the strip earlier this morning, and there were maybe 5 cars in view anywhere on the pavement. It looked like an apocalypse movie and it's absolutely an apocalypse to that whole city.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I’m in the same exact boat as GyroF-16. I’ve been scheduled off the past week and am supposed to go back next week. Flights are empty and airports are even more empty. My company is looking at a further 20 reduction in flights next month and no doubt all the airlines will be scaling back even more as long as people aren’t flying.

The big question on the horizon is furloughs. If things play out as expected it is hard to me to image not seeing mass layoffs and furloughs of flight crews and other employee groups in the industry. Our company has a great track record of preserving jobs compared to other airlines but this is shaping up to make 9-11 look like spring break.

So much for the pilot shortage.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 03-19-2020 at 02:01 PM.

Sales for a display equipment manufacturer, the kind of products people utilize at events that are currently forbidden. So no big surprise that the furlough officially starts Monday. This is a bummer, but I am at a point in my life where we should be able to deal with this without any significant impact to our long range financial future. I am also old enough that I would very much want to finish out the next 4-5yr with this company, so I would prefer that they don't use up all the cash paying me when there is little or nothing I can do to be effective. At this point they are saying this is a 45 day furlough, we shall see.

I was ramping up to embark on a gun orgy since things were so cheap. Now things are not so cheap so not like I am really missing out.

ETA: This will also be easier to deal with since all of the bars and restaurants are closed, and with just the two of us we end up spending way to much going out to eat. Perhaps this might modify our behavior.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 03-19-2020 at 02:09 PM.

Full time federal employee, 100% telework.
    #RESIST

I’m a freelancer in live event production. Just finished my last load-out for the foreseeable future; as of today, about a third of my year has been cancelled.

I cheated the poll. Throw my vote out.

I haven't worked in 7 years and I'm still getting paid every month just like clockwork.

I'm starting to worry a little however. I may be expendable like Russian soldier.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List