View Poll Results: How are you conducting work?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • No changes

43 27.74%
  • Partial changes (limited activites, partial telework)

37 23.87%
  • 100% telework

64 41.29%
  • Not working, still getting paid

5 3.23%
  • Not working, not getting paid

6 3.87%
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Work and Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    Growing up country has prepared me for days like this but I did find myself short on a few things, cat food for my 2 geriatric cats, if they were younger they could fend for themselves and I don't think it will be hard to find, competent leadership at work and a Wiley Clapp GP100. I was looking to get one chambered in 10mm so I could play with another moon clip gun but since ammo is getting thin and I don't have any 10mm, I am looking at maybe a S&W 625. I have plenty of .45acp ammo and maybe a moon or 4 from past ownership.

Thanks for the offer and it goes for you too, if you need anything let me know. I will be traveling to and from the big city and can try to find things.
    Thank you, brother.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasSiegfried View Post
    May not be the correct thread, and it may bring flames, but it is concerning how quickly we have seemingly acquiesced to government control over the parts of our lives that not only make us uniquely American, but also affect the very rights given by God, not by man.
    I began a new one.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Corporate/finance/investment management lawyer for a large firm with offices in multiple states. We already had very good remote access capabilities and IT support. With our tech, I can do pretty much everything I need to at home except print large documents, which I try not to do if I can help it. We gave everybody, including support staff, the option to work at home and it appears almost everybody is taking it. My commute stinks so I don't mind working at home but I live alone and, even being something of an introvert, I do miss direct interaction with my co-workers.

Student
    Irritating. First line supervisor at day job confirmed my contact information, then a bit later the operations manager does the same. Apparently the ice cream man may or may not force everyone to not go to work over the weekend, or so the rumor goes.

Site Supporter
    100% WFH, but I was 100% WFH already.

I work in pre-sales solution design and Governance, Risk, and Compliance related to the pre-sales activities for a global Telco/IT-Services provider.

Chris

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    <snip>
    Everything going online, and we’ve been told to,"make the learning outcomes happen." For me, this includes rehearsing an honors string quartet that is now spread across 3 states and BC, Canada.

<snip>

The good news is that I’m learning a lot, and I’m acquiring some new tools to help me kick even more ass when I get to roll again in the fall. Assuming that any of us are still employed, that is.
    <snip.
    I made the point to my oldest daughter (HS Junior), who wants to be a teacher, that she should pay attention to what's going on, how teachers are developing virtual classrooms and distance learning/teaching, and keep those lessons in mind as she works on her degree and then goes out into the world to get a job. I feel future teachers who understand how to develop a curriculum that is "virtual classroom friendly" will have a leg up on those who only understand how to stand in front of a traditional class and drone on to bored students.

Chris

IT nerd herder for a very large financial holding company.

We are already used to working from home - it's called nights, weekends, on-call duty, etc. All my team were already set up.

We use MS Teams and Office 365 a lot anyway, so communication has been no big deal. Cisso WebEx has had some capacity issues with load this week, I think we'll see more of that. Teams seems to be working fine.

The biggest problem we have had is over 900 people who suddenly decided they are "Indispensable to Humanity" and need laptops, docking stations, monitors, VOIP or soft phones, etc. Not my department, but we had to help with deploying all that in barely three days last week.

Fortunately, I have enough ammo to last about 5 years, enough Kuerig K-cups and cigars to last two years, and enough whiskey to last well into the 24th century.

I'm set.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    IT nerd herder for a very large financial holding company.

We are already used to working from home - it's called nights, weekends, on-call duty, etc.
    Same here. As a software packager/SCCM guy, I don't have on-call duty, but I do semi-frequently have to initiate and/or monitor software deployments at off hours. When they asked me what equipment I needed in order to work from home, my response was "I already have it." I am kind of wishing I had a different headset/mic, because the one I have now, which I swiped from my desktop workstation at the office, seems not to always want to play nice with my laptop (cuts out and/or disconnects seemingly randomly - almost makes me wish it was wired rather than wireless), but all that really means is that my wife occasionally has to put up with being able to hear the people I'm talking to instead of just hearing me.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Same here. As a software packager/SCCM guy, I don't have on-call duty, but I do semi-frequently have to initiate and/or monitor software deployments at off hours. When they asked me what equipment I needed in order to work from home, my response was "I already have it." I am kind of wishing I had a different headset/mic, because the one I have now, which I swiped from my desktop workstation at the office, seems not to always want to play nice with my laptop (cuts out and/or disconnects seemingly randomly - almost makes me wish it was wired rather than wireless), but all that really means is that my wife occasionally has to put up with being able to hear the people I'm talking to instead of just hearing me.
    I have a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon puts them on sale periodically for a $100. I have one set at home, another at work. Battery life is excellent, I can be on a bridge call all night and the battery does not get exhausted. Sound quality is superb.

I have hardened jump servers set up all over the place, and for laptops I have a Surface Book and a nice Dell developer laptop. Combining that with OneDrive, and I don't have to carry anything home unless I chose to.

I will probably snag one of the new Surface Books coming out this fall, and give my current one to one of the minons.

Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    I have a pair of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Amazon puts them on sale periodically for a $100. I have one set at home, another at work. Battery life is excellent, I can be on a bridge call all night and the battery does not get exhausted. Sound quality is superb.
    Those look considerably nicer than the small single-ear Plantronics one that was provided to me. If this WFH situation gets extended significantly beyond the initially planned amount of time, I may have to look at making a purchase like that (or seeing if work can be persuaded to provide me with a better one).

User Tag List