View Poll Results: How are you conducting work?

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • No changes

43 27.74%
  • Partial changes (limited activites, partial telework)

37 23.87%
  • 100% telework

64 41.29%
  • Not working, still getting paid

5 3.23%
  • Not working, not getting paid

6 3.87%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: POLL: Work and Covid-19

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    Those look considerably nicer than the small single-ear Plantronics one that was provided to me. If this WFH situation gets extended significantly beyond the initially planned amount of time, I may have to look at making a purchase like that (or seeing if work can be persuaded to provide me with a better one).
    No offense to the folk at Plantronics, but I just can't use their stuff. I am almost completely deaf in my left ear from the military, and due to some other neurological issues, I have to basically read lips most of the time. If there are multiple conversations, I am pretty much deaf as a post. If someone wants to have dinner in a noisy restaurant, they might as well have it in a chain-saw repair shop.

These really help a lot, and I can function in an office environment now.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    I made the point to my oldest daughter (HS Junior), who wants to be a teacher, that she should pay attention to what's going on, how teachers are developing virtual classrooms and distance learning/teaching, and keep those lessons in mind as she works on her degree and then goes out into the world to get a job. I feel future teachers who understand how to develop a curriculum that is "virtual classroom friendly" will have a leg up on those who only understand how to stand in front of a traditional class and drone on to bored students.

Chris
    Absolutely. The way of the future, for sure. I’d go so far as to say that some percentage of the classes transitioning emergently to non-synchronous online delivery right now will not be going back.

That said, "non-synchronous distance learning" is an objectively poor way to run a jazz ensemble, concert choir or chem lab.

But the days of tenured profs being paid 85k+ a year to stand in front of 30-300 students twice a day, M-F, and read Chaucer to them in a room are totally over.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    State agency type cop.

No changes for me, but light duty folks and civillian staff are getting paid to stay home. Minor property crimes referred for online reports. Hand sanitizer thefts for homeless happy hour are off the charts.

Incentive pay is hung up and may have to file a grievance to get it. Overtime, with the exception of shift coverage indefinately suspended.

It sucks, as I am trying to get debt free before retirement and boost my earnings for retirement calculations. Last year I worked 1400 hours OT.

With the kids home and no overtime to take me out of the house, I am not sure my marriage will survive.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Fortunately, I have enough ammo to last about 5 years, enough Kuerig K-cups and cigars to last two years, and enough whiskey to last well into the 24th century.
    And you're within driving distance. I'll be right over!

Busy as ever. I had to pull a few strings to get some vacation in a few weeks. Today we opened the first Covid-19 drive through test stations in the state. I am the first stop in the queue to make contact with the patients as they come through.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightvisionary View Post
    Busy as ever. I had to pull a few strings to get some vacation in a few weeks. Today we opened the first Covid-19 drive through test stations in the state. I am the first stop in the queue to make contact with the patients as they come through.
    You'll enjoy the social contact.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

I am kind of wishing I had a different headset/mic
    Those look considerably nicer than the small single-ear Plantronics one that was provided to me. If this WFH situation gets extended significantly beyond the initially planned amount of time, I may have to look at making a purchase like that (or seeing if work can be persuaded to provide me with a better one).
    I bought these cheap ones:
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/43...4d-107.4143386
    With the expectation they would just be proof of concept and I would get something better when they died. My order history says they are almost two years old and I use them almost every single day, with no complaints on either side of the call.

ETA:
    I am almost completely deaf in my left ear … If there are multiple conversations, I am pretty much deaf as a post. If someone wants to have dinner in a noisy restaurant, they might as well have it in a chain-saw repair shop.

These really help a lot, and I can function in an office environment now.
    I am not as bad off, but my right ear is pretty lame, and having the stereo over the ear headphones really helps me also. Mine are not noise canceling but having them block out other noise helps too. I have used mine when I have a more important call to be on when I have to drive and I have used them, even though the car has handsfree.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 03-21-2020 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    That is a google maps location in Wyoming...?

That is a google maps location in Wyoming...?
    LMAO, yeah that was in my clipboard, guess I am not as good at multitasking as I would like to think I am!!! I guess since I inadvertently drifted the thread:
    Name:  ThreadDrift.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  45.5 KB

But here are the headphones:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by mmc45414; 03-21-2020 at 09:32 AM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    50+% reduction of physical presence at the hospital and clinic. We are all reducing our own schedules and are trying to coordinate so we don't intersect too much. This week I will be at work 65%, next week hopefully 25% of the time. Pay so far unaffected but I expect that to change.
    Don't worry comrade, soon they will be handing you a bag valve mask and sending you to the front!

Pick up the N95 from the PA who falls in front of you...

edit: I am still in the PhD portion of my MD PhD training and thus draw down the same (shitty) federal paycheck every month no matter what I do. I am lucky.

User Tag List