Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what to do when you can't shoot at ranges or matches.

Site Supporter

So what to do when you can't shoot at ranges or matches.

I was reading Claude Werner's https://tacticalprofessor.wordpress....e-beer-plague/

Now I'm in a double bind. My handguns are in limbo given the now frozen NYS permit process. So no dry fire.

Thus, I have a SIRT Glock 17. I have a hallway of about 7 yards in length to the front door. It has a center peep hole and those decorative panels of rectangles. Thus, I've been putting on a holster and cover garment and drawing and shooting the peep hole (5 shots) or drawing and shooting the corners of the rectangles.

I could put up a target - I did that in a spare room once with one of Ellifritz's targets but the wife did not take kindly to such on the front hallway.

Just a thought. Or I could sit in my chair and bitch on the Internet. I might try it with my unloaded carbine and RDS. No repeated shots though.

Site Supporter
    I’m going out to spots in the desert with a reasonable backstop.

I realize not everyone can do that, though.

Dry fire in the house as well. I do not envy your NY State handgun issues.

For what it's worth my dry fire routine frequently involves wall drills (no target required) and dot torture (designed for short ranges, printable on 8.5 x 11 paper, and easy to hang / remove with scotch tape). I like Claude Werner's suggestion but don't have appropriate targets at hand at the moment.

Site Supporter
    I regularly use target pasters to hold a target or index card to a painted surface without issue. Glossier surfaces work best for me and I remove them after the session as opposed to leaving the up all the time.

I might be able to get up into a tree farm in Washington. We used to be able to do that here with relatively little fuss, but the available areas keep getting farther from town.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rd62 View Post
    I regularly use target pasters...and I remove them after the session as opposed to leaving the up all the time.
    Best practice is this. Dry practice only at temporary targets and take them down immediately after practice. Also, completely unload, including any ammo in a pocket, mag pouch, etc., before you go to a designated dry practice spot.

Too many instances, even by experienced shooters, of what could go wrong.
    With liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states.

I go outside....

Laughs in suppressor
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Thus, I've been putting on a holster and cover garment and drawing and shooting the peep hole (5 shots) or drawing and shooting the corners of the rectangles.
    Do not forget that you can also "draw to a sight picture" (no trigger press) and also "low ready to sight picture" and "thumb pec index to sight picture". All of these dry fire can be done with a blue gun since no trigger press in involved.

Similarly you can work on multiple targets "eyeball discipline" and ensure that your eyes move first then move the gun and reacquire the sight picture.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

Site Supporter
    Got a 'grey' gun 642 for that.

User Tag List