Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Closest “home defense” shotgun to a Beretta A300

Remington Tac-13 with a Mesa Tactical LEO adapter and an SB Tactical brace. Pretty close in manual of arms to the 1301 (I also have a 1301T) I just got it and haven't really put it through the paces as of yet, but it seems to check off all of the boxes you were looking for. I also added a rail to the receiver, but that is optional.

Name:  C5274FF4-37DE-4916-8041-0A01D97A7807.jpg
Views: 2700
Size:  54.4 KB
    www.hero911.org
    Hero911 when seconds save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    You could, but last I checked the barrels were so expensive it was better to just buy another shotgun.
    they look to be about $250 new (could try and source a used one) which is a lot more than I'd like to pay just to take a hacksaw to it, but it's a damn site less than the $1200 for a brand new Beretta 1301 Comp, if I can even find one right now.

the other issue appears to be capacity. the A300 Outlander will hold max of (3) 2.75" and (2) 3" shells in the tube (with the plug removed), and there's presumably no provision to add to that. The out of the box comp may be similarly limited, however should be capable of extending.

I'm not really sure how many shells she'd need or want. We could add a velcro "card" system of sidesaddle pretty easily so it could come off when we shoot clays, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    they look to be about $250 new (could try and source a used one) which is a lot more than I'd like to pay just to take a hacksaw to it, but it's a damn site less than the $1200 for a brand new Beretta 1301 Comp, if I can even find one right now.

the other issue appears to be capacity. the A300 Outlander will hold max of (3) 2.75" and (2) 3" shells in the tube (with the plug removed), and there's presumably no provision to add to that. The out of the box comp may be similarly limited, however should be capable of extending.

I'm not really sure how many shells she'd need or want. We could add a velcro "card" system of sidesaddle pretty easily so it could come off when we shoot clays, I suppose.
    If you chop the barrel on an A300, you're going to have functional issues. The gas system is tuned to the length of the barrel (length past the gas block determines back-pressure). As for extending the capacity, thats not possible on the A300 as its designed to only be a field gun. The 1301 or A400 have a pass through mag tube, so those are extendable.

Personally, I think the best new out the box option: current gen 1301 tac. Same manual of arms, decent capacity (and is extendable), and fully feature loaded. And with the choke system, you can technically just shoot clays with that gun. Its not optimized for it, but it'll work just fine.

For used, the last gen 1301s can be found cheap enough, you just want to make sure to pick up the bolt release collar. That one has a fixed choke though, so it's multirole (clays and tac) capability is somewhat limited.

Overall: for capacity, if I ran a shotgun for HD, I'd want a minimum of 5-6 rounds (prefer 8), with a sidecard with another 4. That should be enough to get out of most problems. Also, I have a light mounted as a requirement for any HD gun (handgun, shotgun, rifle, whatever). Gotta see what youre shooting at.

Those who are more practiced in this field, feel free to correct me. I'm a hobbyist, not an operator.

Hammertime
    https://www.brownells.com/parts/Bere...rrel&ksubmit=y

1301T Barrels are in the $800 range. Not what you are looking for, but at least I'm not nuts when I thought they were kinda pricey.

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    The 1301 Comp and Comp Pro are available with 21” barrels. In the grand scheme of things, the 2.5” increase over the Tactical’s 18.5” barrel isn’t a huge concern for most people. I think the receiver is only a fraction of an inch longer than the Tactical’s receiver. The two guns are probably close enough in size that the ghost ring sights on the Tactical might have your wife leaning towards the Comp as it’s more similar to her A300.
    even the 21" is going to seem "short" to her coming from her a300, but I'd still prefer 18.5" if possible. Doesn't seem to be an option though. I definitely think the ghost rings are a non-starter for her/us. I'd prefer rifle sights, but my second choice would be a bead, last choice would be ghost ring.

Quote Originally Posted by Manbearspider View Post
    If you chop the barrel on an A300, you're going to have functional issues. The gas system is tuned to the length of the barrel (length past the gas block determines back-pressure). As for extending the capacity, thats not possible on the A300 as its designed to only be a field gun. The 1301 or A400 have a pass through mag tube, so those are extendable.
    I knew about the magazine issue, but having spent more time with pumps in the shotgun world the barrel length to back-pressure issue hadn't crossed my mind, thanks.

[quote]And with the choke system, you can technically just shoot clays with that gun. Its not optimized for it, but it'll work just fine. [/auote]
    I've encountered some shotgun facilities with minimum barrel length requirements. I'd hate to rock up to a range and find she couldn't shoot her gun. this'll need to be a whole new thing, I think.

For used, the last gen 1301s can be found cheap enough, you just want to make sure to pick up the bolt release collar. That one has a fixed choke though, so it's multirole (clays and tac) capability is somewhat limited.
    I don't know what half that means, nor do i want to. cutting a barrel off with a hacksaw was a level of fiddle-fuck I was reluctantly willing to engage in to sage $900, but whatever it is you're talking about isn't a level of minutiae I even want to learn about haha.

Overall: for capacity, if I ran a shotgun for HD, I'd want a minimum of 5-6 rounds (prefer 8), with a sidecard with another 4. That should be enough to get out of most problems. Also, I have a light mounted as a requirement for any HD gun (handgun, shotgun, rifle, whatever). Gotta see what youre shooting at.
    Given a gunfight, and me shooting the gun, I might not disagree. But there's a pretty big distance between here and a gunfight IMO, the overall weight and complexity of the thing is a potential issue, and this isn't for me it's for her.

I'm of the opinion that this is more about security blanket, and I'm not opposed to winding up with another gun in the house, and if that means I get her what makes her feel safe when I'm gone then so be it. The less cash and fiddle-fuck I have to outlay the better. If I can and want to actually rely on the thing too, even better still.

Thinking about this some more, I think the priorities are
    1) identical button placement (safety, bolt release, bolt catch), sighting, and manual of arms (particularly locking the bolt open) as her A300 (this is her stated want, so that makes this #1)
    2) reduced overall length from her current gun (this is my implied need for her, so it's #2)
    3) not terribly heavy, definitely no heavier than current gun (again, implied by me from her statements and our time shooting together)

things I'm unconcerned with if they in any way negatively impact the above
    1) capacity beyond maybe 4 or 5 in the tube
    2) ability to carry ammo outside the tube
    3) lighting
    4) slinging (not that anybody mentioned this, just putting it out there)

At the end of the day, if it looks almost identical to her current gun and she can pick up the gun, immediately operate it with zero instruction, and it's no heavier nor more complicated than what she's used to, she'll be happy.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I should also say thanks to everyone indulging my thinking out loud on this and helping me through the finer points. Sometimes I need to be pushed, and push back, to really get my thoughts together.

why the Pro? Just 'cause it's blue?

21" comp in stock

I know you said no ghost rings, but I just purchased one of these and it shipped same day. If she could live with ghost rings you'd get the 18.5" barrel and save a couple hundred bucks.

why the Pro? Just 'cause it's blue?
    Whole different stock technology, and per Darryl Bolke, amazing recoil reduction. Hogged our loading gate for better loading. Small delta in price over regular Comp, but Beretta’s flagship.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List