Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Closest “home defense” shotgun to a Beretta A300

Closest “home defense” shotgun to a Beretta A300

Wife shoots an A300 Outlander Synthetic in sporting clays. She wants, I don’t, a hot gun for home defense that matches the controls on the a300 exactly. Semi-auto with a Bolt hold open works the same, bolt release works the same, looks pretty much the same.

Is the 1301 the way to go for this?
    https://www.beretta.com/en-us/1301-tactical/

Anything else, maybe even not a beretta, that would be a good substitute that keeps the exact same controls?

Or, is there another barrel I can put on her a300 while the gun is at home that’s maybe a little more maneuverable and more “home defense” suitable?

She doesn’t want to learn the handguns, doesn’t want to learn the AR, doesn’t even want to learn the 870. She wants her gun, just shorter and lighter, basically.

Your wife is smarter than hell.

Someone else will tell you about the 1301.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

I would buy the latest Gen 1301T, in pretty FDE or OD, pull the restricter plug, load five low recoil Federal Flite Control buck, leave one shell on the lifter for her, call it done, and go back to social distancing.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The 1301 is the closest thing that’s currently in production. The shell release lever is a different shape but it’s on the same spot. The Comp version will have a bead sight too. The Tactical has ghost rings and is a little smaller than the Comp. If your wife is interested in putting a red dot on it then the Tactical is your better option. I don’t think Aridus has a CROM for the Comp.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    If your wife is interested in putting a red dot on it then the Tactical is your better option. I don’t think Aridus has a CROM for the Comp.
    Then again, an Aimpoint S-1 will mount directly to the Comp’s ventilated rib, and will end up lower than a dot on the Tactical, I think, thereby potentially allowing for a better cheek weld. Just a thought.

Site Supporter
    The 1301 is the closest thing that’s currently in production. The shell release lever is a different shape but it’s on the same spot. The Comp version will have a bead sight too. The Tactical has ghost rings and is a little smaller than the Comp. If your wife is interested in putting a red dot on it then the Tactical is your better option. I don’t think Aridus has a CROM for the Comp.
    Aridus doesn’t have one yet but KE Arms does.

http://www.kearms.com/1301-comp-h1t1-mount

1301 has controls in the same places and the same manual of arms. A 21" Comp version may help with familiarity as it also has a ventilated rib and no ghost rings to clutter things.
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Français View Post
    Then again, an Aimpoint S-1 will mount directly to the Comp’s ventilated rib, and will end up lower than a dot on the Tactical, I think, thereby potentially allowing for a better cheek weld. Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    1301 has controls in the same places and the same manual of arms. A 21" Comp version may help with familiarity as it also has a ventilated rib and no ghost rings to clutter things.
    Good info guys, thanks.

I don’t see her wanting a red dot. In fact, the bead snapped off her SC gun so I don’t know that she’d know what to Dow with any sort of sighting device.

Good to know about the comp model. Too bad there’s not a version that’s both shorter and bead-sighted.

It appears to me that the Remington v3 has at least the same bolt release button location but the safety is in a different spot and I have no idea if the method for locking the bolt to the rear is the same. Shame, as it has the longer tube and the shorter barrel with a bead sight as an option.

Of course all of this may be moot. Doubt I’d find either for the next several months. But good to know that the 1301 exists and should be just about plug-n-play for her.

I wonder if I couldn’t just buy a stock barrel for her A300 and chop it down...?

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post

I wonder if I couldn’t just buy a stock barrel for her A300 and chop it down...?
    You could, but last I checked the barrels were so expensive it was better to just buy another shotgun.

I completely forgot about the Aimpoint S1, but it’s moot if your wife would have no interest in mounting a red dot. The 1301 Comp and Comp Pro are available with 21” barrels. In the grand scheme of things, the 2.5” increase over the Tactical’s 18.5” barrel isn’t a huge concern for most people. I think the receiver is only a fraction of an inch longer than the Tactical’s receiver. The two guns are probably close enough in size that the ghost ring sights on the Tactical might have your wife leaning towards the Comp as it’s more similar to her A300.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

User Tag List