Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Powder shortage coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I wanted to "like" this, but having been unemployed for 2-1/2 years at one point in my life, I just can't.
    Exactly.

On the one hand, I've got a short list of things I want to pickup, like a Single Six and a Blackhawk, which will probably be easy to find at fire sale prices if things go that bad, but am I gonna always look at it and fee like i took advantage of someone else's misfortune?
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I wanted to "like" this, but having been unemployed for 2-1/2 years at one point in my life, I just can't.
    Can't say I've ever spent that long out of work but have had personal financial crises which made that insurance commercial's ramen noodles every night budget sound like the lap of luxury. Corn meal stretches further than ramen but man does mush get old fast.

A few decades ago I was a Boy Scout for a little while and I remember their motto; "Be Prepared". Having lived in Earthquake Country most of my life, I learned to get a survival stash to keep just in case. I bought a little extra when I went to the store and stashed the long term storage items. I did the same with reloading supplies; whenever I went to a store that sold reloading supplies, I bought a little extra, usually a brick of primers or 22s, and an extra pound of powder. I got through the last 3 panics without having to bother with the panicky buyers getting "my powder and primers before someone else gets it first" and the empty shelves...

Living in the San Francisco Bay Area in a county that is currently "shelter-in-place," I got a front seat to watch panic take place. By Monday night damned near every grocery or dry goods supply store was stripped.

Since Saturday there have been lines wrapped around each gun shop, all the ammo is gone, and my local club, who carries reloading supplies, is closed under the shelter in place order.

Having lived through the reloading supply shortage a decade ago, I now have 16lbs of Alliant Red Dot (my personal favorite powder), and 5000 small pistol primers en route in addition to what I already have on hand. Hopefully I have enough to satisfy my needs until this blows over.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Lets also not forget the companies that are willing to price gouge and remember that they do not deserve our money in the future.
    Great point! And let's name names. CheaperThanDirt comes to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by lueckenhoff View Post
    Ah yes. Didn't they have PMags for like $100 or some such at one point? There's raising prices with demand and then there's being the gun equivalent of pharma bro, and jacking up the price of something to > 500% of normal is definitely in the latter category from my point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    This is how it starts.
    Some of the psychology of panic buying. Whether panic buying TP or powder, they're just making it worse.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...rus-panic-buy/

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Not for me it doesn't. I refuse to participate in a bunch of fearful bullshit.
    You're one of the few. Human beings, with all their capacity for rational thought, aren't much better than herd animals in the face of fear.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Is it hoarding if you already have it or panic buying if you don't? I learned during the Clinton years to keep components on hand.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by lueckenhoff View Post
    That's basically exactly who I had in mind. I won't buy from them, now or forever.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    Me neither...and I don't understand the logic.

Are people going to be pooping and shooting more during this pandemic compared to any other moment in time?
    Nope, their "logic" is that they will run out and they will never be able to restock ever again. But I agree, stupid, and makes me sick, just like "Black Friday" selfish morons...

User Tag List