Page 33 of 48 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other Glock 48 fans?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Update after my range session today. Shot 30 rounds of FMJ (various) with no issue. I switched to a mag of Speer Gold Dot 124+p, and got this on the 10th round:

Attachment 71353

The round just basically stuck on the feedway.

I ejected it and carried on..
    It’s hard to diagnose on just that photo, but it looks more like you have excessive slide velocity causing that. It sure looks like the slide/ breach face over-rode the base of the cartridge. In a straight up feed way stoppage the base of the cartridge would be against the breach face. However, if the round isn’t presented quickly enough by the magazine then the slide can grab just enough of the cartridge base to push it into the feed ramp, but then slip over the base of the cartridge which is what appears happened here. Some combination of weaker recoil spring allowing excessive slide velocity and or the mag spring not presenting the round soon enough closing your timing window.

Either way the simplest solution is what you have done, find a round that doesn’t operate as closely to the margins of reliability.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    It’s hard to diagnose on just that photo, but it looks more like you have excessive slide velocity causing that. It sure looks like the slide/ breach face over-rode the base of the cartridge. In a straight up feed way stoppage the base of the cartridge would be against the breach face. However, if the round isn’t presented quickly enough by the magazine then the slide can grab just enough of the cartridge base to push it into the feed ramp, but then slip over the base of the cartridge which is what appears happened here. Some combination of weaker recoil spring allowing excessive slide velocity and or the mag spring not presenting the round soon enough closing your timing window.

Either way the simplest solution is what you have done, find a round that doesn’t operate as closely to the margins of reliability.
    I think I’d want to pop the mag to look for molding flash and spooge that may slightly retard the follower, just as a part of the analysis.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Been running a 43x with RMR for a year. No wml. With the Suarez RSA; no problems with any ball ammo, 115 grain GD, or 124 grain GD+P.
    Either the Suarez RSA positively affects the "bandwidth" or the RMR alone doesn't adversely affect it.
    YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post

I personally feel +P is a little too much for the Glock slimline with the texting I’ve done on my 43 and 48.

Yeah, absent reports of Massive Failures using 147 HST in this gun, I am good with the heavier Federal as a carry load, as it is on Doc's list. And I don't have to go buy a bunch, as I have a small supply set aside.

As a curious observation, I was comparing the stated barrel lengths of the G48 and G19, assuming they were the same 4" barrels. The G48 is actually listed at 4.17" or 106mm, and the Glock 19 as 4.02" or 102mm. I heard that it might be related to the Canadian "Categories of Firearms" rules which would place anything less than 106mm into the "prohibited" category...Anyway, I thought it was an interesting fact seemingly unique to the G48.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Yeah, absent reports of Massive Failures using 147 HST in this gun, I am good with the heavier Federal as a carry load, as it is on Doc's list. And I don't have to go buy a bunch, as I have a small supply set aside.

As a curious observation, I was comparing the stated barrel lengths of the G48 and G19, assuming they were the same 4" barrels. The G48 is actually listed at 4.17" or 106mm, and the Glock 19 as 4.02" or 102mm. I heard that it might be related to the Canadian "Categories of Firearms" rules which would place anything less than 106mm into the "prohibited" category...Anyway, I thought it was an interesting fact seemingly unique to the G48.
    I’ve put a decent amount (relatively speaking) of 147 HST through my 43 and 48 without issue that I had to buy two more cases as elevated high, but not yet super elevated high prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    I personally feel +P is a little too much for the Glock slimline with the texting I’ve done on my 43 and 48.
    Texting?? That should be testing. Damn iPad bias auto correct.

Site Supporter
    I think the primer dimple occurred when firing pin hit primer when slide was out of battery. I would bet Blue's Hi Point collection on that.😊

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post

I concur.

I’ve done a lot with the 43 and +p just isn’t for these guns.

I’m carrying 147 HST but it’s with fresh mags and recoil spring.

Picked up my (wife’s) 48 yesterday. Pretty neat little gun. It’s a gift for her so it’ll be a minute before we can shoot it. Have some Ameriglo... Spartan maybe? Sights arriving tomorrow.

I bought one IWB holster for it on a whim from JM, but it occurs to me that she may need or want something different in the short term.

I was thinking about picking up a JM RC OWB with the Tek Lok and then sourcing a Blade Tech DOH bracket from somewhere else as in the past I’ve found women seem to be higher waisted and appreciate the DOH.

Any other, better, options for this application?

I’m hoping to get her into a Randy Cain Ladies class in November.

Without reading back through the whole thread, my inclination is to leave it “stock” save the sights. Is that a good or bad idea in this case?

Also, the Shield mags seem to be hit or miss, so I was planning on picking up three more factory mags and one Shield (because I can’t not touch the wet paint). I think that should be good for the class and any other future needs. Thoughts?
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

User Tag List