Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other Glock 48 fans?

Quote Originally Posted by jandbj View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/361964362622

Never tried these but it looks like the easy button answer.
    That one is for widebodies, but this one is for slimlines. Thanks for finding that, I had no idea an aftermarket plate existed.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/382061142587
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Didn’t read all your posts about this but have you changed any of the fire control components and then checked engagement of the trigger bar to the striker?
    Uhh, no? It was returned to all OEM, except for the SCD. How does one do this?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    The easy way is with an inspection backplate like we linked just above, which is the Glock equivalent of a gyno’s stirrups.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

https://suarezinternational.com/news...-trigger-safe/

FYI, I am NOT a Glock armorer... above is simply some other interweb guidance. If you have any doubts, please consult one.

https://suarezinternational.com/news...-trigger-safe/

FYI, I am NOT a Glock armorer... above is simply some other interweb guidance. If you have any doubts, please consult one.
    Thanks, that was useful.

I am not a Glock Armorer either. I am scheduled to take the one-day class in September for the first time as a GSSF member. Folks have told me one of those Armorer plates is provided with the class.

I have performed from memory all the post takedown assembly checks listed in the manual. I'll re-read the manual today and make sure I am not leaving anything out. "As far as I can tell" the gun is performing as designed right now (stock parts except for SCD). The only thing I've done is to lightly polish the surface of the rear of the trigger bar where it rubs against the connector to remove some manufacturing swarf from where the part was stamped.

Thanks, that was useful.

I am not a Glock Armorer either. I am scheduled to take the one-day class in September for the first time as a GSSF member. Folks have told me one of those Armorer plates is provided with the class.

I have performed from memory all the post takedown assembly checks listed in the manual. I'll re-read the manual today and make sure I am not leaving anything out. "As far as I can tell" the gun is performing as designed right now (stock parts except for SCD). The only thing I've done is to lightly polish the surface of the rear of the trigger bar where it rubs against the connector to remove some manufacturing swarf from where the part was stamped.
    I’d noted you had a ghost connector and the flat trigger when you had the issue. My suspicion was that combination of parts was not interacting properly to ensure correct function. Tolerance stacking

I thought I would add more data to this thread vs. the one I topped yesterday, since this one seems to have the best running conversation on the FTF malfunction I had the other day.

To summarize: Friday, at a normal square range visit to confirm some parts swaps, I shot the G48 again. At the time, the gun had been milled by Primary Machine for a 507k, and had an SCD, a Ghost connector, and an Overwatch Precision PolyDAT trigger shoe/trigger bar...
    Update after my range session today. Shot 30 rounds of FMJ (various) with no issue. I switched to a mag of Speer Gold Dot 124+p, and got this on the 10th round:

Name:  IMG_8888i.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  79.4 KB

The round just basically stuck on the feedway.

I ejected it and carried on.

I then loaded and shot 31 rounds of Federal HST 147, with no issues.

I don't have a problem using Federal HST 147, and can carry it with that ammo. I think this is what @HCM has been saying all along; G43/43X/48 just doesn't like the 124+p hollow points due to the narrower window of operation. I just haven't come across it until the gun returned with the slide milled for the 507k. Like Doc says, always test your carry ammo in your carry gun.

Update after my range session today. Shot 30 rounds of FMJ (various) with no issue. I switched to a mag of Speer Gold Dot 124+p, and got this on the 10th round:

Name:  IMG_8888i.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  79.4 KB

The round just basically stuck on the feedway.

I ejected it and carried on.

I then loaded and shot 31 rounds of Federal HST 147, with no issues.

I don't have a problem using Federal HST 147, and can carry it with that ammo. I think this is what @HCM has been saying all along; G43/43X/48 just doesn't like the 124+p hollow points due to the narrower window of operation. I just haven't come across it until the gun returned with the slide milled for the 507k. Like Doc says, always test your carry ammo in your carry gun.

Have you kept track of what magazine or magazines are giving you an issue? Also is the OAL of the problem bullet different from the other GD or even the HST that you trust? I'm following as this is the same ammo what I have in my 48 right now

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    Have you kept track of what magazine or magazines are giving you an issue? Also is the OAL of the problem bullet different from the other GD or even the HST that you trust? I'm following as this is the same ammo what I have in my 48 right now
    Those are all good questions. The broader answer is the Glocks using the G43 RSA (43/43X/48) are more particular about what ammo they will run reliably due to the narrower timing "window." We'll call that operating window "bandwidth." This I what I mean in arguing that the G48 is not "a slim G19."

That doesn't mean the G48 sucks. It means G48s are not as tolerant of variables as G19s because 48's don't have the extra operating "bandwidth." There's no free lunch. That is the price of the slimmer pistol.

If you accept that, vet your ammo, and stick with ammo it likes for serious use the G48 will be fine.

A G19 has so much operational "bandwidth" you can add an optic, WML, mag extensions and still shoot crappy or super hot ammo reliably. Where as adding the weight of an optic was enough for @RJ's 48 to go from working with 124 +P GDHP to not working with them.

The G48's reduced bandwidth means a load that works with a stock gun may not work when one variable is added, be that an optic, WML or mag extension.

IME the G43 RSA guns don't like +P ammo (which is counter to service sized Glocks which thrive on Nato/+P ammo). My direct observations have mostly been with G43s and I suspect the larger grip of the 43X/48 allows for better grip, which helps the "bandwidth."

I would look at standard velocity versions of GDHP or HST, or critical duty off Doc Roberts' list. The FBI has gotten the 43/43X to work with their Hornady critical duty 135+P but they are running factory mags, no mag extensions, no optics, lights or lasers so YMMV.

All this is why best practice for institutions is to select a duty load (or loads) first, then a gun to launch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    Yes, an expanded version of today’s results are in my training journal. I don’t believe it is mag related; today’s stoppage was one of my ‘Carry’ mags that came with the gun, last week was a ‘range’ mag. I also don’t believe it was the aftermarket parts, either, but I learned my lesson (see below my new Sig line).

Inspecting the OAL of the 147 HST vs. 124+p GD, they appear to my very inexperienced eye to be identical. They both plunk test in my Shooters Box chamber checker thingy.

So the takeaway for me is, for a carry gun, check your ACTUAL carry ammo in YOUR gun to be sure it runs. Shooting that many hollow points might make you wince, but it’s better than hearing a click when you need to hear a bang.

User Tag List