Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other Glock 48 fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    I have had no problems with 147 HST in a 48 or a 43X. But if you’re looking to trade it I think I have 50 124 +p gold dot that I’d swap.

I'm researching this thread before I do so, but I might take you up on it

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....-Range-reports

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post

I do have at least 10 once-chambered Speer Gold Dot 115 in my little plastic ready storage box I am bringing with me to today's range session. That's what I picked to run in our Sig P365. I will run a mag of that through the G48 as well, just as another data point.
    Well, this is not what I expected today:

Name:  IMG_7962.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  25.9 KB

This is the last round of Speer Gold Dot JHP 115 once-chambered carry ammo, in a mag of 10, shooting "The Test" for score. It took my lizard brain a few seconds to work out there was a stoppage; a malfunction in my Glocks is so rare...I was all like wait a second here, there should have been a bang just a second ago...

The round appears to have "stuck" in the feedway ramp? Is this what they call a "nose dive"?

Gun has 300+ rounds through it, I clean and lube with Slip EWL 2000, and grip fairly tightly. No internal mods, just sights and a Gadget. It is the only malfunction I've had with this gun, and the only time I've shot GD 115 through it.

How odd.

Quote Originally Posted by Navin Johnson View Post
    I think GJM and a few others went to 115GD's due to reliability but not sure if that was for 43x/48 or 365's or both.

I believe HCM stated a .gov org. won't allow 124+p GD's in 43's due to reliability.

I have a 43x with a 48 on the horizon and would like more info also.

Many say (right or wrong) 147's are too long for subs.....worked in my Shield and a LC9 I had. Understanding one must vette with at least 200 rounds trouble free to be sure. (I did)
    I think I recall it was in one of the P365 threads that @GJM mentioned a discussion here from a member who documented his experience with carry ammo, and ended up with the Speer 115s. It's what I currently have loaded in our P365, mainly based on that thread. I'll have a look at see if I can find the reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage Hands View Post
    I thought I saw on here from a few members that did not have good results with 147 HST. I’m trying to find the posts.
    No issues, multiple G48s and G43Xs. They shoot the Speer 147 TMJ (53620) as well, which has a similar length and profile to the 147 HST.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Quote Originally Posted by ST911 View Post
    No issues, multiple G48s and G43Xs. They shoot the Speer 147 TMJ (53620) as well, which has a similar length and profile to the 147 HST.
    With all the testing you have done I'm definitely more confident in using 147 HST now, I did test about two mags worth when the gun was new with no problems but there's not enough ammo to replace it to evaluate it at this time. How did it group for you in the 48?

I think I recall it was in one of the P365 threads that @GJM mentioned a discussion here from a member who documented his experience with carry ammo, and ended up with the Speer 115s. It's what I currently have loaded in our P365, mainly based on that thread. I'll have a look at see if I can find the reference.
    Here is the post by GJM in answer to my question about ammo. The link to the thread is included:

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....l=1#post938000

Well, this is not what I expected today:

Name:  IMG_7962.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  25.9 KB

This is the last round of Speer Gold Dot JHP 115 once-chambered carry ammo, in a mag of 10, shooting "The Test" for score. It took my lizard brain a few seconds to work out there was a stoppage; a malfunction in my Glocks is so rare...I was all like wait a second here, there should have been a bang just a second ago...

The round appears to have "stuck" in the feedway ramp? Is this what they call a "nose dive"?

Gun has 300+ rounds through it, I clean and lube with Slip EWL 2000, and grip fairly tightly. No internal mods, just sights and a Gadget. It is the only malfunction I've had with this gun, and the only time I've shot GD 115 through it.

How odd.
    Upon looking at the pic, before scrolling down, I thought, "I bet that's the last round of the mag..."

When I bought my G48 from our department Range shop, all three mags that came with it (these are early mags, when the 43X and 48 had just rolled out) were prone to nose-up feed failures with Gold Dot, ONLY on the last round of the mag. The failures I experienced looked exactly like your pic. Our LE rep replaced those mags, which I then tested exhaustively with carry ammo (124+P) and did not have another failure. I've since bought and/or tested a LOT more mags and all have been fully reliable.

I measured the feed lips of the bad mags against ones that were reliable; they seemed to measure a tiny bit wider, depending on the angle I came at them with the calipers. My theory is that in the rush to get these guns out the door, a production run of mags was slightly out of spec, and produced a very specific failure: only the last round, with JHP.

So don't fret about ammo selection -- the mags are the problem. Mark them for practice only with a Sharpie, and drive on.. Our department has hundreds of the "slimline" Glocks in service as off-duty or personally owned plainclothes duty guns, and no problems with the issued 124+P Gold Dot. The ballistics on the 115 are similarly hot, and they should run well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mac View Post
    Upon looking at the pic, before scrolling down, I thought, "I bet that's the last round of the mag..."

When I bought my G48 from our department Range shop, all three mags that came with it (these are early mags, when the 43X and 48 had just rolled out) were prone to nose-up feed failures with Gold Dot, ONLY on the last round of the mag. The failures I experienced looked exactly like your pic. Our LE rep replaced those mags, which I then tested exhaustively with carry ammo (124+P) and did not have another failure. I've since bought and/or tested a LOT more mags and all have been fully reliable.

I measured the feed lips of the bad mags against ones that were reliable; they seemed to measure a tiny bit wider, depending on the angle I came at them with the calipers. My theory is that in the rush to get these guns out the door, a production run of mags was slightly out of spec, and produced a very specific failure: only the last round, with JHP.

So don't fret about ammo selection -- the mags are the problem. Mark them for practice only with a Sharpie, and drive on.. Our department has hundreds of the "slimline" Glocks in service as off-duty or personally owned plainclothes duty guns, and no problems with the issued 124+P Gold Dot. The ballistics on the 115 are similarly hot, and they should run well.
    Do you have more info on the markings on the newer, more reliable magazines? Glock is good about swapping unreliable mags.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

That's good information, I'm going to measure the mag lips of the original mags that came with this thing versus the new ones I got last week.

Thanks, very interesting. Unfortunately I forgot to note which mag it was.

By any chance, do you recall the caliper measurements of the “good” vs. “bad” mags, and where you measured?

User Tag List