Page 38 of 48 FirstFirst ... 283637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other Glock 48 fans?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Think the G43x would be more reliable?
    Maybe but probably not if both have optics. How much difference in weight between G48 and 43X slides ?

The 43, 43X and the 48 all use the same (G43) RSA. However, the timing of the gun is a function of the RSA vs the mag springs. Can’t say how the shield arms mags will effect the timing one way or another.

Would that same rsa and mags make the shorter 43x a better bet for reliability with no optics?

Has anyone experimented with upspringing their 48 or optic equipped 43X?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by newyork View Post
    Would that same rsa and mags make the shorter 43x a better bet for reliability with no optics?
    Again, all other things being equal, how much weight difference between them ?

Rich’s G48 ran fine till he added the optic.

The slim Glocks simply have less margin for error in their operating window.

There is no exact formula, even at an engineer level there would need to be some experimentation.

The FBI only authorized the 43 and 43X but I have no idea if they even tested the 48 or if they excluded it for administrative reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Again, all other things being equal, how much weight difference between them ?

Rich’s G48 ran fine till he added the optic.

The slim Glocks simply have less margin for error in their operating window.

There is no exact formula, even at an engineer level there would need to be some experimentation.

The FBI only authorized the 43 and 43X but I have no idea if they even tested the 48 or if they excluded it for administrative reasons.
    What is the weight difference between a stock 48 slide and one with a 507K or RMSc direct milled?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Failure to completely RTB seems to be the most seen issue in the 48. I know mine was resolved or at least seriously reduced by watching that the extractor depressor plunger spring is completely seated on the extractor depressor plunger, but why these parts don’t always stay together is a mystery to me. I’d like to try lightly knurling the extractor depressor plunger where the spring seats to see if that helps.
    I popped out the SCD and looked at the EDP and spring just now. All looks ok? The spring was seated on the plunger, and the black bearing inside the spring. I inserted it fully and compressed it with an armorer's tool to make sure it was seated. It may have been my imagination but it seemed that it "popped" a little bit in slightly when I reached the end of travel. Huh. Weird because there was like no space I could observe. Anyway, here with what it looked like when it was apart, in case I am missing something fundamental:

Name:  IMG_9214.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  100.6 KB

(Took bonus opportunity to clean striker channel in/out.)

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I popped out the SCD and looked at the EDP and spring just now. All looks ok? The spring was seated on the plunger, and the black bearing inside the spring. I inserted it fully and compressed it with an armorer's tool to make sure it was seated. It may have been my imagination but it seemed that it "popped" a little bit in slightly when I reached the end of travel. Huh. Weird because there was like no space I could observe. Anyway, here with what it looked like when it was apart, in case I am missing something fundamental:

Name:  IMG_9214.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  100.6 KB

(Took bonus opportunity to clean striker channel in/out.)
    Looks seated to me, too.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What is the weight difference between a stock 48 slide and one with a 507K or RMSc direct milled?
    As an engineering estimate (*), Holosun lists the 507k as "1 ounce". As an analog to how much steel was removed by milling, one could use the weight of a Forward Controls OPF-G RMR plate (steel, used for HS 507c). The OPF-F RMR lists as 0.83 oz.

So a milled G48 slide might be on the order of:

Slide(milled) = Slide(OEM) minus 0.83 oz of steel plus 1 oz of 507k or somewhere around Slide(milled) + 0.17 oz. As compared to a 9mm HST round which I seem to recall is about 0.469 oz.

* AKA Scientific WAG

But at any rate, it certainly has only malfunctioned with the optic, never before, not like even once.

I'll mull this over but very likely plan a range day to test out this theory. Whether that would convince me to jettison the gun for something else and begin to look for carry gun #14, I dunno just yet. Options would include another G19 (but an MOS this time) or G45; or maybe two G19s like Doc told me I should buy back in 2013.

Back to the G48: if I shoot a sample of 147 HST and 124 AE, and some Blazer Brass and Speer Gold Dot 124+p (I still have some), and the malfunctions (if any) occur only with the GD or BB, then I will (hope to) conclude the gun is ammo sensitive, but ok to carry with HST. The dang thing is almost perfect in almost every other aspect for a carry gun. But I will absolutely sell it without any emotion if it's not reliable.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    As an engineering estimate (*), Holosun lists the 507k as "1 ounce". As an analog to how much steel was removed by milling, one could use the weight of a Forward Controls OPF-G RMR plate (steel, used for HS 507c). The OPF-F RMR lists as 0.83 oz.

So a milled G48 slide might be on the order of:

Slide(milled) = Slide(OEM) minus 0.83 oz of steel plus 1 oz of 507k or somewhere around Slide(milled) + 0.17 oz. As compared to a 9mm HST round which I seem to recall is about 0.469 oz.

* AKA Scientific WAG

But at any rate, it certainly has only malfunctioned with the optic, never before, not like even once.

I'll mull this over but very likely plan a range day to test out this theory. Whether that would convince me to jettison the gun for something else and begin to look for carry gun #14, I dunno just yet. Options would include another G19 (but an MOS this time) or G45; or maybe two G19s like Doc told me I should buy back in 2013.

Back to the G48: if I shoot a sample of 147 HST and 124 AE, and some Blazer Brass and Speer Gold Dot 124+p (I still have some), and the malfunctions (if any) occur only with the GD or BB, then I will (hope to) conclude the gun is ammo sensitive, but ok to carry with HST. The dang thing is almost perfect in almost every other aspect for a carry gun. But I will absolutely sell it without any emotion if it's not reliable.
    So if the weight difference is minimal could it be the different weight distribution ? Obviously with the optic there is now more weight to the rear. Does that matter ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    So if the weight difference is minimal could it be the different weight distribution ? Obviously with the optic there is now more weight to the rear. Does that matter ?
    Sure. It's beyond my area of expertise for certain, and far outside my swim lane (I'm an EE, not a ME; just took the basic course in statics and load in school) but I could see weight distribution being an issue affecting the reciprocating motion of the slide in recoil. Complicating this is of course "me" as in the shooter; my grip, strength, etc. probably also play a role. I do try and grip pretty hard though...but who knows. And mine was milled to take out the rear dove tail, so I don't have a rear sight (only the optic body) and so my Optic might be farther rearward than most, as well.

I'll put some ammo together for a range test and report back in a week or so, meanwhile I'll get off the air on this topic. I appreciate all ya'lls comments, it really helps to bounce these things off of somebody else. Much obliged @GJM @HeavyDuty @HCM.

User Tag List