Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other Glock 48 fans?

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Well, this is not what I expected today:

Attachment 64281

This is the last round of Speer Gold Dot JHP 115 once-chambered carry ammo, in a mag of 10, shooting "The Test" for score. It took my lizard brain a few seconds to work out there was a stoppage; a malfunction in my Glocks is so rare...I was all like wait a second here, there should have been a bang just a second ago...

The round appears to have "stuck" in the feedway ramp? Is this what they call a "nose dive"?

Gun has 300+ rounds through it, I clean and lube with Slip EWL 2000, and grip fairly tightly. No internal mods, just sights and a Gadget. It is the only malfunction I've had with this gun, and the only time I've shot GD 115 through it.

How odd.
    I thought I would add more data to this thread vs. the one I topped yesterday, since this one seems to have the best running conversation on the FTF malfunction I had the other day.

To summarize: Friday, at a normal square range visit to confirm some parts swaps, I shot the G48 again. At the time, the gun had been milled by Primary Machine for a 507k, and had an SCD, a Ghost connector, and an Overwatch Precision PolyDAT trigger shoe/trigger bar.

I had pre-loaded a mag of 10 once-chambered Speer Gold Dot 124+p. The first round was chambered, I pressed the trigger and got a 'click'. I cycled the action, shot one more round, then round 3 had a fail to feed:

Name:  IMG_8853.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  51.7 KB

Magazine used was ID number R-8. I compared R-8 with three other mags last night, and could not tell any difference, at all, visually. (my calipers are in storage so I could not measure the feed lips).

Forward plan is to try an abbreviated @Joe Mac 'three round' test with some AE124, Federal HST147, and the GD 124+p. Ammo being what it is, I plan to shoot 12 rounds of each across four mags. I mean it ain't cheap but this is my carry gun and I want to have some confidence in it. I appreciate my choice of G48 brought with it a gun with a smaller envelope of timing/reliability than a double stack Glock, and it might be ammo sensitive. But that's where I am.

(Another possibility is the RSA; I have almost 1K through at this point, so out of an abundance of caution I've ordered a new assembly. $17 isn't going to break the bank.)

And of course if no more malfunctions show up, what then? One of my favorite sayings is absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. But for sure I will have more confidence if these all run ok. And if mag R-8 bobbles, I'll mark it as a range use only and throw it in the extra pile.

As to the envelope of timing: you might try a Suarez RSA. It's a single spring on a somewhat heavier guide rod. They seem to work smoother than the dual spring set-up, at least in the 43x.

Was the slide refinished? Could that cause an issue potentially if applied thicker if something like cerakote? Could the addition of the optic, like mounting a light underneath be what lead to the problem? (I know there has been talk about the light causing an issue)

I thought I would add more data to this thread vs. the one I topped yesterday, since this one seems to have the best running conversation on the FTF malfunction I had the other day.

To summarize: Friday, at a normal square range visit to confirm some parts swaps, I shot the G48 again. At the time, the gun had been milled by Primary Machine for a 507k, and had an SCD, a Ghost connector, and an Overwatch Precision PolyDAT trigger shoe/trigger bar.

I had pre-loaded a mag of 10 once-chambered Speer Gold Dot 124+p. The first round was chambered, I pressed the trigger and got a 'click'. I cycled the action, shot one more round, then round 3 had a fail to feed:

Name:  IMG_8853.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  51.7 KB

Magazine used was ID number R-8. I compared R-8 with three other mags last night, and could not tell any difference, at all, visually. (my calipers are in storage so I could not measure the feed lips).

Forward plan is to try an abbreviated @Joe Mac 'three round' test with some AE124, Federal HST147, and the GD 124+p. Ammo being what it is, I plan to shoot 12 rounds of each across four mags. I mean it ain't cheap but this is my carry gun and I want to have some confidence in it. I appreciate my choice of G48 brought with it a gun with a smaller envelope of timing/reliability than a double stack Glock, and it might be ammo sensitive. But that's where I am.

(Another possibility is the RSA; I have almost 1K through at this point, so out of an abundance of caution I've ordered a new assembly. $17 isn't going to break the bank.)

And of course if no more malfunctions show up, what then? One of my favorite sayings is absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. But for sure I will have more confidence if these all run ok. And if mag R-8 bobbles, I'll mark it as a range use only and throw it in the extra pile.

Quote Originally Posted by CLaw View Post
    Was the slide refinished?
    Yes, black Cerakote. Seems hard to imagine it could slow the slide down, but I dunno.

Site Supporter
    Yes, black Cerakote. Seems hard to imagine it could slow the slide down, but I dunno.
    It's possible but the added weight of the optic is more likely. You could shoot it again with your gold dots but without the optic to see if it returns to it's prior reliable function without the optic.

If there is cerakote in the slide channels it could definitely slow it down as the rails grind off some of the coating. I'm not saying that happened, just that it is a possibility... Look for powdered dust build up if it's happening.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    If there is cerakote in the slide channels it could definitely slow it down as the rails grind off some of the coating. I'm not saying that happened, just that it is a possibility... Look for powdered dust build up if it's happening.
    I had two cycle related malfunctions with the first 50 rounds through an M&P9c2.0 after I got it back from Primary Machine with a dot mill and cerekote. It had never malfunctioned before and never did again. I blamed the fresh cerekote job.

Quote Originally Posted by GearFondler View Post
    Could be? I took the striker assy out this morning, nothing untoward, all appeared fine. The RSA similar, it compressed without issue (although I have a new Glock OEM one on order.)

I paid particular attention to the slide channels, looking for swarf or residue and reamed them out with a chopped Q tip end and some Kleenex. Didn’t have anything come up other then old oil and a teeny amount of carbon / black gunk. The channels are very clean now. I really don’t see a lot different, before and after coating, but I took some detailed photos before I sent it in I can look at as well.

I checked the trigger and trigger bar moved freely in the frame, with no binding or hangup (at least, more than normal for a Glock, which usually feels ah agricultural.)

So, it’s now clean as I can make it, next step is to get to the range. Will post back with results, good or bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Noah View Post
    I had two cycle related malfunctions with the first 50 rounds through an M&P9c2.0 after I got it back from Primary Machine with a dot mill and cerekote. It had never malfunctioned before and never did again. I blamed the fresh cerekote job.
    Thanks, good input.

I failed to mention I put 76 trouble-free rounds of FMJ through, just after it came back from PM. The malfunction came with the third round of Gold Dot 124+ps on this most recent range trip, the first mag of Hollow Points since it was milled.

Especially in these time of ammo scarcity, I would take a full magazine of FMJ like Lawman that functions, over a mag of JHP that is not tested or of questionable function.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List