Page 39 of 48 FirstFirst ... 293738394041 ... LastLast

Thread: Any other Glock 48 fans?

Another possibility, since this came up post the direct mill mod, is there was something about the installation that is causing an issue. Have you checked the length of the screws, and in particular the screw on the right side? I have seen a slightly long screw contact the bearing thingee, which in turn interferes with the extractor working properly, and causes stoppages.

Depending upon how detailed you want to get, you could troubleshoot by seeing what happens without the optic, or try to mark the right screw snd see if it puts a mark on the bearing rod.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Are other members here having g48s with optics mounted also having issues or is this the 1st?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Another possibility, since this came up post the direct mill mod, is there was something about the installation that is causing an issue. Have you checked the length of the screws, and in particular the screw on the right side? I have seen a slightly long screw contact the bearing thingee, which in turn interferes with the extractor working properly, and causes stoppages.

Depending upon how detailed you want to get, you could troubleshoot by seeing what happens without the optic, or try to mark the right screw snd see if it puts a mark on the bearing rod.
    Also try to see/feel if the bottom of the screw is inside the exractor/extractor plunger channel. The ‘ol piece of bent wire can be useful for that.
    im strong, i can run faster than train

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Also try to see/feel if the bottom of the screw is inside the exractor/extractor plunger channel. The ‘ol piece of bent wire can be useful for that.
    As is a good flashlight.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Mrs. RJ: You are taking your gun apart? Again?! Why?!
    Me: Some guys on pistol-forum said to check something.
    Mrs. RJ: Oh, ok then dear.

Ok, I followed up on the EDP channel as per above. I found a problem, but maybe not the problem.

SCD popped off, striker and EDP removed. I used the straw from a can of air to poke around. Seems like a hitch in the right hand screw. Shining a light on the extractor, I may or may not have seen a slight ridge of swarf from the drilling of the right hand optic mount screw hole.

This is hard to photograph:

Name:  FA56F063-3067-4963-8F7F-083E50BDAE43.jpg
Views: 458
Size:  46.3 KB

It’s possible this swarf formed a ridge which caught/catches the EDP spring (which coincidentally is right where this is, on my slide) for certain ammo types / slide velocities? It’s a thin premise but it’s all I have right now.

I do not have a reamer handy so I opted to use my Glock tool to try and burnish the ellipse of the hole to remove the material I felt with the plastic straw. I cleaned it dry with a Q tip body, removing some small amount of material / congealed oil / gs residue until the EDP channel was clean. The swarf I saw earlier at the lip of the drilled hole was gone.

Reassembled and safety checked. Still gong to range test it of course.

For anyone following this, I would definitely look at the EDP channel for clearance after a mill job now, based on this. I’m also not sure I’d opt to have the optic this far back, it’s possible my problems are at least somewhat to do with my choice in removing the rear sight.

What would be interesting is if you removed the optic and screws, shot it and it ran. Then put the right screw back in to the depth with the optic, and shot it. If it malfunctioned then, you could be onto something.

I had a problem disassembling an early MOS Glock. Turns out Glock had drilled one hole to deep and loctite from the screw ran down the hole into the channel, binding the bearing rod and spring from coming out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    What would be interesting is if you removed the optic and screws, shot it and it ran.
    This was suggested several pages back. @RJ did that ever happen ?

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    This was suggested several pages back. @RJ did that ever happen ?
    No, you are right, I didn’t do that. I ended up waiting till the S15 mags shipped from Shield during the order frenzy.

So yes I could shoot it without the optic or with the screws only. (I should have stated the right hand screw doesn’t interfere with the EDP; there’s no part of it that extends into the EDP channel.)

But if I do, how many rounds ($) do I burn, and if the fact it runs in a degraded condition is conclusive, then what? I’m not going back to irons, and I need this carry gun to be reliable with an optic.

So if I shoot the same number of rounds (same $) now, with the optic mounted, and with a deburred EDP channel and don’t have a malfunction, I’ll have more confidence in it as a carry gun.

That’s my thinking anyway.

Something to consider is whether your reliability issue relates to specific ammo types or whether it is a general reliability issue. If it is a reliability issue caused by the installation, I would think it would apply to all ammo types. I am leaning towards a general issue, as opposed to for example "a Gold Dot 115" issue.

User Tag List