Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading noob, want to load 9mm

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    You will also need a decent calipers and a decent scale. Neither has to be fancy, but both need to be accurate. The cheap Lee beam scale works fine, but it only goes to 100 grains, so while I've found it to be fine for measuring/setting powder charges, the fact that I can't use it to verify bullet weights has been disappointing, and as such, it's an area where I wish I had spent more money.

Tumbling is a rabbit hole. I wish I had a wet tumbler setup, as it would both produce cleaner brass and reduce my lead exposure, but they're more expensive to set up, and I'm not sure how I'd deal with disposing of the waste water given my current housing situation. Bottom line, wet or dry is fine, but unless you want to buy cleaned brass, you'll need one or the other.
    Calipers are necessary and useful for a lot of different reloading tasks, as well as non-reloading tasks. They don't have to be uber-expensive. I have used the same analog dial caliper I bought from Midway nearly 20 years ago.

If you're not chasing uber-precision or loading max loads, a digital scale is "good enough", but a beam scale is more accurate and more repeatable. I mainly use a digital scale, cross-referenced with a beam scale, these days.

You can start off wet tumbling with a cheap rock tumbler from Harbor Freight. Your volumes will be low, but I've found I can tumble a single range trip's brass in one or two tumbling sessions (minimum of 1hr tumble per batch). I do NOT use steel pins and find my brass gets plenty clean with just the brass, water, some detergent, and some Lemishine. If your load isn't particularly dirty, you can even skip a cleaning session or two. It depends on the load and gun though.

Chris
    Last edited by mtnbkr; 03-18-2020 at 08:07 AM.

Site Supporter
    Everything you need to reload 1k rounds of 9mm except powder and primers (add $50-$60 for those two items):

Name:  reloading.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  42.1 KB

If you keep your brass, you can reuse it several times, so that cost gets amortized, as does the cost of tools.

With that same press and similar supporting tools, I can knock out 1k rounds in a weekend without feeling rushed.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Plus I need something to do while I watch tv.
    Don't do this. You need to watch the reloading process as you're doing it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverNickname View Post
    Don't do this. You need to watch the reloading process as you're doing it.
    There are some things you can do while watching TV if you don't mind separating tasks out of your workflow. Case depriming, sizing, and priming are all tasks that can be done while watching TV. I would NOT charge cases or seat bullets. Those require your attention.

I have a hand press and have been known to flare case mouths on 35whelen ammo while watching the boob toob, but that is very low risk activity. Worst outcome is I pinch my finger.

Chris

Is the dillon a better buy over the lee? Im a buy once cry once kind of guy. If its worth spending a bit more now rather than buying a whole new setup later I am ok with that.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Is the dillon a better buy over the lee? Im a buy once cry once kind of guy. If its worth spending a bit more now rather than buying a whole new setup later I am ok with that.

I've never used Dillon, but I've never had issues with Lee products. They've always done what I want within the confines of their design (turret vs progressive and all that). As a result, I've never been tempted to buy Dillon myself.

Folks who buy Dillon seem t be universally pleased with the output and customer service.

That said, if you're loading 9mm and want volume, a Dillon may be a better choice. It seems the Lee progressives can be a bit finicky.

That said pt2, the Lee kit is inexpensive and you can always make use of a 2nd press if you want to "upgrade" later. Use the Dillon for 9mm and 223 (both high volume consumption-wise) and the Lee for your lower volume stuff so you can keep two calibers ready to go.

Chris

Wow, thanks guys!

I would like to keep it under 1k to get started, I never really thought about reloading before because 9mm has been so cheap but corona, elections, etc. Plus I need something to do while I watch tv.

I think 1k rounds a month is a realistic goal for now, my shooting time has been in the toilet for a while but hoping to change that this year. And I dont mind just building up a ton of ammo reserve.

I want to at least meet the same accuracy and quality of good commercial ammo. If I get into 6.5cm then Id be willing to get obsessive about accuracy.

Brian Enos has a "which Dillon" post/article on his site or forum. IIRC, 1K rounds/month keeps you in the 550 range. I've got 2 550s and a ton of shit for them, so a switch would be big $ and a PITA. There was no 650 when I bought my first 550, but if I were starting this afternoon, I'd buy a 750 and drive on. If you buy a Dillon, used is a safe way to save money.

I can save you money with my method of brass cleaning: don't do it. Unless you shoot where I might pick up your brass, then you should shine it like it was made of gold.

DO NOT WATCH TV or any other distraction. Get your mind right, and keep it on the process. If you can't do that, reloading is not for you and you should admit it before you blow something up.

If you catch yourself making a mistake, do the safe thing, not the "it should be ok" thing, even if it's a giant PITA.

Buy a manual, any manual, and read the reloading part.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

So for brass cleaning you just reload dirty?

Reading everyone loud and clear on distractions and reloading.

I would like to second the Lee turret press. Lee equipment is cheap enough to have a turret set up for every caliber that I load, ok I will list them, 9mm, .45acp, .44 special, .223/5.56, .243 Win, .308 Win, and .280 Rem. The pistol calibers get their own Auto-disk powder measure so I don't ever have to change them unless I change powder type. The rifles get run on a RCBS Chargemaster. The RCBS isn't necessary but it makes loading much easier and quicker and is my most expensive piece of equipment. I can load around 200 round per hour in the pistol calibers and it takes me 2 minutes to do a caliber swap. 9mm is/was until the latest run on ammo, only economical if I load cast bullets so I don't load a lot of those. None of my rifles are "special", they are all run of the mill production guns and some would even say they are cheap and I have turned out some very good accurate loads for them. I may be the only person left using a vibratory tumbler and dry media. I am not looking to polish my brass to better than new, I just want to nock the dirt and carbon off. All of my brass gets a once through in walnut hull and the rifle gets an extra trip in corncob after sizing and prep. If you stay with book loads then you will be ok without a chronograph but it took me getting one and using that data to make me better at loading rifle rounds. Much as I would like a Labradar I get by with the basic Crony brand.

Site Supporter
    Dillon Square Deal for 9mm. If you decide to load rifle later - buy a Dillon 550 and keep the Square Deal dedicated for 9mm. I started out with Lee progressive presses in 9mm, 45, and 38 Special - loaded a lot of ammo but they literally wore out. I moved to Dillon Square Deals and Dillon rebuilt one when it got worn for free. I eventually sold my Square Deals and I have multiple 550s. Wish I had kept the 9mm Square Deal.

Powder will get tight - fortunately a lot of Shotgun Powders work well for 9mm - in my case WSF. Primers are the key - get some now.

I use the cheapest 115FMJs I can find or coasted 115/124.

I know that I am one of few who will suggest Square Deals - I am a believer for pistol.

PS - if you can find a used Square Deal or 550 - even better. All my 550s were used when I got them.

User Tag List