Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reloading noob, want to load 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Not sure if I am being a tactical timmy right now or if thats a real thing... seems like a real thing when I think about it...
    I think that depends on a LOT of different variables. I don't personally bother with trying to replicate defensive loads, but it won't hurt you any to try it and see if you find it beneficial. As long as you follow safe reloading practices, the worst case is that you gain some experience and learn what works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I think that depends on a LOT of different variables. I don't personally bother with trying to replicate defensive loads, but it won't hurt you any to try it and see if you find it beneficial. As long as you follow safe reloading practices, the worst case is that you gain some experience and learn what works for you.
    Thank you sir!

Whelp, nothing to really left to do except just jump in head first. Wheres my CC...

To simulate your carry load, the basics would be to match bullet weight and velocity.

I once read an account of adjusting powder and load to mimic the feel of a factory load. Lots of work for a subtle result.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Not sure if you are shooting indoors or outdoors, but my preference for jacketed bullets is either a JHP or TMJ to minimize lead exposure. I do not like regular FMJ with an exposed lead base. My SD load is 124gr +P HST or GD, so I reload 124gr to a similar velocity.

https://www.precisiondelta.com/products/9mm-124gr-jhp/
    Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer.

Just bought some primers and powder, need to get some more stuff to get up and running.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Just bought some primers and powder
    What powder did you snag?

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    What powder did you snag?
    Got some longshot and n330? I think it was n330...

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Not to thread-jack, but I'm considering reloading for the same reasons as the OP (9mm only unless I add .300 AAC someday). Have the chance to get this locally. Thoughts:

"Looking to trade my Lee 4 hole turret press kit with extras. Overall in good shape, minor surface rust on the dies and press body but functions as it should. Comes with Lee 9mm carbide dies, 2 reloading manuals, scale, auto disk powder measure, large and small safety primer feed, lube, and a Harbor Freight electronic caliper I'll throw in. Also have about around 100 Dardus cast 9mm bullets, one box CCI small pistol primers and some clean mixed 9mm brass, and about 10 cardboard boxes and inserts. Open for trades for a firearm or $200, let me know what you've got, I'd be willing to throw some cash on my end of the deal."

Pics are included in the ad and everything looks pretty solid. I've been collecting brass for a long time and have a many-thousand supply of once -fired but still dirty 9mm brass on hand.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    Not to thread-jack, but I'm considering reloading for the same reasons as the OP (9mm only unless I add .300 AAC someday). Have the chance to get this locally. Thoughts:

"Looking to trade my Lee 4 hole turret press kit with extras. Overall in good shape, minor surface rust on the dies and press body but functions as it should. Comes with Lee 9mm carbide dies, 2 reloading manuals, scale, auto disk powder measure, large and small safety primer feed, lube, and a Harbor Freight electronic caliper I'll throw in. Also have about around 100 Dardus cast 9mm bullets, one box CCI small pistol primers and some clean mixed 9mm brass, and about 10 cardboard boxes and inserts. Open for trades for a firearm or $200, let me know what you've got, I'd be willing to throw some cash on my end of the deal."

Pics are included in the ad and everything looks pretty solid. I've been collecting brass for a long time and have a many-thousand supply of once -fired but still dirty 9mm brass on hand.
    That'll be a savings of about $100-$120 over buying the same stuff new. Light surface rust is no big deal. My 38 dies got that way after being in non-climate-controlled storage for a month one summer. Nearly 19 years later, I'm still using them.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    I'm considering reloading for the same reasons as the OP (9mm only unless I add .300 AAC someday). Have the chance to get this locally. Thoughts:
    Open for trades for a firearm or $200
    That would be the easy button. You could get your sea legs and decide exactly what you want later, if anything.
    Pretty sure it could also do your 300 (which would be like printing money) but I will let one of the more knowledgeable Lee folks confirm.

User Tag List