Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington 1100 RFI

Interesting. I only have experience with my 11-87 Express, and the button there was a complete pain in the arse.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post

What am I missing? What have I overlooked?

Thanks,

Okie John
    Extra ammo and a light. I am guessing you have a 4 round mag capacity in standard configuration. Find a way to have extra ammo. Consider a mag extension or side-saddle carrier. Mag extension means you reload less. Side saddle lets you top off more easily. Or you can use a satchel/man-purse to throw over your shoulder. Before I was tactical I used a canteen cover and web belt. Now I use a dump pouch. A Streamlight light mount that fits on the mag tube gives you a rail to mount a light. It sticks way out so be prepared for that.

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-6.../dp/B001G61K74
    Last edited by DamonL; 03-23-2020 at 10:50 AM.

LT-20 Rem 1100 Easy Mods

Its possible to do some basic mods to an 1100 and end up with a very usable defensive duty shotgun.
    This started as a standard LT-20 skeet gun that I wanted to repurpose for my wife's safe room gun. Fitted the stock (including a kick reducer) to fit her in length and pitch, added the tube to give her 2 extra rounds of low-recoil buck and the choke tube to get the pattern I wanted, put the light on it for if she needed it in the dark, and a big head safety and bolt handle to make it easier to manipulate, and did a complete action job to make it ultra reliable. She'll never get in a running fight and need to reload, so those parts are unnecessary. All in all, useful and simple for a "woman of later years".
    Name:  816EBEF9-EC17-487D-8D2D-4457F9302A8A.jpeg
Views: 438
Size:  70.1 KB
    Name:  3EF51888-D98E-43CD-8827-03EB489D7D6C.jpeg
Views: 461
Size:  68.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce in WV View Post
    Its possible to do some basic mods to an 1100 and end up with a very usable defensive duty shotgun.
    This started as a standard LT-20 skeet gun that I wanted to repurpose for my wife's safe room gun. Fitted the stock (including a kick reducer) to fit her in length and pitch, added the tube to give her 2 extra rounds of low-recoil buck and the choke tube to get the pattern I wanted, put the light on it for if she needed it in the dark, and a big head safety and bolt handle to make it easier to manipulate, and did a complete action job to make it ultra reliable. She'll never get in a running fight and need to reload, so those parts are unnecessary. All in all, useful and simple for a "woman of later years".
    Name:  816EBEF9-EC17-487D-8D2D-4457F9302A8A.jpeg
Views: 438
Size:  70.1 KB
    Name:  3EF51888-D98E-43CD-8827-03EB489D7D6C.jpeg
Views: 461
Size:  68.2 KB
    Your gun is about where I'll net out with this one. I'm hanging on to it for my son who got it from an uncle so I can't really cut it up. The new barrel will handle the current unpleasantness. Once things settle down a bit, I'll grab another lower for a proper build and put this one back on bird detail.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

"Your gun is about where I'll net out with this one. I'm hanging on to it for my son who got it from an uncle so I can't really cut it up. The new barrel will handle the current unpleasantness. Once things settle down a bit, I'll grab another lower for a proper build and put this one back on bird detail."

You're right... that was the plan.
    When I sell it someday it will be useable to the buyer "as is" or easily put back in original configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    The larger carrier release button on the 1187 police model is IMO fine. I actually prefer it to the Easyloader.
    This is the way. I have never been a fan of any of the easy loaders on any of my 1100s or 1187s. I prefer the 1187 to the 1100.

Ok, I’m resurrecting this thread because I have an 1100 with a ported, Rem-choked 26” bent rib (center bead) barrel. I also have a 28” NOS vent rib (no center bead) barrel. Does it make sense to cut down the 28” barrel to 18.5” and add the XS express sights? I haven’t seen an 18.5” rifle sighted barrel. I like the idea of being able to return it skeet configuration.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsius View Post
    Ok, I’m resurrecting this thread because I have an 1100 with a ported, Rem-choked 26” bent rib (center bead) barrel. I also have a 28” NOS vent rib (no center bead) barrel. Does it make sense to cut down the 28” barrel to 18.5” and add the XS express sights? I haven’t seen an 18.5” rifle sighted barrel. I like the idea of being able to return it skeet configuration.
    I've put together several 870 expresses in 20 and 12 gauge using 21 inch vent-rib barrels I bought from Midwest Gun Works. I like the way they handle, you can get them through a house as good as an 18 incher, IMO.

This is a 21 inch with slug sights: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/F243190

I'm not sure where you would be on price: $88.00 to $120.00 for the Express sights - https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8271 plus dovetailing the rib for the rear and installing the front sight; plus the expense of cutting down and finishing the barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Lehr View Post
    I've put together several 870 expresses in 20 and 12 gauge using 21 inch vent-rib barrels I bought from Midwest Gun Works. I like the way they handle, you can get them through a house as good as an 18 incher, IMO.

This is a 21 inch with slug sights: https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/F243190

I'm not sure where you would be on price: $88.00 to $120.00 for the Express sights - https://www.xssights.com/Products.aspx?CAT=8271 plus dovetailing the rib for the rear and installing the front sight; plus the expense of cutting down and finishing the barrel.
    Thanks for the info. My tactical shotgun experience is with police 870s with 14 and 18 inch barrels. I’m sure the 21 isn’t that different, but I think that barrel is going to be unobtanium for a while, and I already have an extra barrel.

The adjustable rear sight on the factory barrel appeals to me: with the XS it looks like you test the various rear sights they include until your POI is right and then locktite it in. I don’t like the idea of literally being locked into one load.

Quote Originally Posted by Torsius View Post
    Thanks for the info. My tactical shotgun experience is with police 870s with 14 and 18 inch barrels. I’m sure the 21 isn’t that different, but I think that barrel is going to be unobtanium for a while, and I already have an extra barrel.

The adjustable rear sight on the factory barrel appeals to me: with the XS it looks like you test the various rear sights they include until your POI is right and then locktite it in. I don’t like the idea of literally being locked into one load.
    I don't know what your anticipated use is, but I run beads on all mine. If you absolutely want a front and rear sight, you could go with a ghost ring set up. Put the front sight on your short barrel and if/when you want to convert to skeet/trap/hunting simply remove the ghost ring and put on the other barrel.

The Trak-Loc rear sights use 6-40 screws to hold the assembly in place, so you would simply have two slightly less than 1/8 inch diameter holes on ythe top of your receiver. I'd use new screws each time.

I find beads work faster for buckshot and for slugs at 25 yards or closer. I can go 50-75 yards with beads, but quicker and more accurate with ghost rings at those ranges.

User Tag List