Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Remington 1100 RFI

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    So here are photos of my boom stick. It’s a 11-87P with the following mods:
    - Surefire integrated forend light (need to replace the lamp for all the lumens)
    - Tritium rifled sights
    - Side saddle
    - VTAC sling
    - Larger charging handle

I threw on a side sling loop that was for a 870. Required a little fitting but works good. I also have yet to install a vang comp safety I have for it.

While I would rather ghost ring sights the barrel mounted rifle sights allow me to swap out barrels for bird hunting and shotgun sports. A compromise.

Name:  73555EE8-F18F-47E2-B1D2-AFDB22C5D806.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  102.0 KB

Name:  8289BED9-2684-4192-A4B7-EFCAC258052D.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  81.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Yeah, I love my 1187 shorty!
    Thanks for this. Can I get details on the build?

I just bought a smoothbore 21" slug barrel with rifle sights and Remchokes from Midway. I could have gotten a beater 870P for a bit more money (or hacked the current barrel off at 18" for free, I guess) but this barrel has sights, it ships to my door, and there's no 4473 to violate social distancing. Before it arrives, I plan to strip, clean, and lube as recommended. I already took the plug out of the magazine.

I need for you guys to check my thinking:
    1. Intended use is inside 20m--probably indoors--with almost no chance of engaging at greater distance.
    2. I'm in a densely inhabited housing development, so I'm focused on buckshot over slugs for now.
    3. Next step is to test fire, pattern, and zero so I'll have a feel for my limitations as I start to ponder tactics and movement.

What am I missing? What have I overlooked?

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Thanks for this. Can I get details on the build?
    I purchased this 11-87 Premier new with a 26 inch, vent rib/pressure compensated (.116” dual gas ports) barrel over 20 years ago. It was essentially a safe queen so in 2012 I began this project. The mods include;

- Shortened the barrel to 18-3/4 inches and re-installed the RemChokes
    - HiViz CompSight PM1002 - Competition Shotgun Sight (same as used on the 1100 Tac4)
    - Cut the stock down to 13” LOP and re-installed the original Remington butt pad
    - Choate 2-shot magazine extension using a Brownells stainless steel magazine follower as the spring retainer on the end of the tube
    - S&J Hardware Delrin follower
    - Wolff magazine spring
    - Dave’s Metal Works Easyloader
    - Dave’s Metal Works bolt handle
    - Vang Comp dome button safety
    - CDM MOD-C light mount with Lego light
    - Brown Coat Tactical 4-shell carrier

It was a fun project and the finished result is fun to shoot. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    - Surefire integrated forend light (need to replace the lamp for all the lumens)
    - Tritium rifled sights
    - Side saddle
    - VTAC sling
    - Larger charging handle
    No Easyloader?

Perhaps I am approaching things too much from a 3 gun-ish perspective, but when my 11-87 was in stock form I found reloading the gun in stock form to be slow and awkward. An Easyloader made a big difference!

- Tritium rifled sights
    - Side saddle
    - VTAC sling
    - Larger charging handle

I threw on a side sling loop that was for a 870. Required a little fitting but works good. I also have yet to install a vang comp safety I have for it.

While I would rather ghost ring sights the barrel mounted rifle sights allow me to swap out barrels for bird hunting and shotgun sports. A compromise.

Name:  73555EE8-F18F-47E2-B1D2-AFDB22C5D806.jpg
Views: 1938
Size:  102.0 KB

Name:  8289BED9-2684-4192-A4B7-EFCAC258052D.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  81.9 KB
    What's the part of the sling that's wrapped around the stock that the VTAC is attached to? I need one of those.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    No Easyloader?

Perhaps I am approaching things too much from a 3 gun-ish perspective, but when my 11-87 was in stock form I found reloading the gun in stock form to be slow and awkward. An Easyloader made a big difference!
    I have an easloader in my parts bin that I bought more than 20 years ago but never installed. It seems that it is a more fragile design and hangs under the gun making it prone to damage so I never installed it.

I agree that the 1100/1187 are not as easy to feed but for now I’m keeping it simple.

I am considering buying a buddies 1100 Tactical for gun games. I would love a Beretta 1300 but the price is very good and I’m already invested in the Remington platform. If I do, I may try it out on that.
    Last edited by Suvorov; 03-20-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Under View Post
    What's the part of the sling that's wrapped around the stock that the VTAC is attached to? I need one of those.
    From the bosom of Kyle Lamb himself. https://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-mk3.htm

From the bosom of Kyle Lamb himself. https://www.vikingtactics.com/product-p/vtac-mk3.htm
    Thank You. I'm not big on using slings on shotguns for HD, but some classes require them for during-class-use.

Site Supporter
    I shot one in three gun for a couple of years back in the early oughts.

I bought the gun used, replaced the o-ring and ran it for a couple of thousand rounds with no major malfs, a random cleaning schedule and lube. I did have the “tail” that connects the bolt to the recoil spring break, but I have no idea how many rounds the gun had on it before I bought it. With a 21 “skeet” barrel it cycled fine with Remington low recoil slugs and buckshot.

Me and a lot of the guys that were shooting 1100’s ran two gas rings as just as insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
    No Easyloader?
    The larger carrier release button on the 1187 police model is IMO fine. I actually prefer it to the Easyloader.

User Tag List