Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Remington 1100 RFI

Remington 1100 RFI

I've got a spare 1100 lying around with a duck-hunter length barrel that hasn't been fired in years. I'm thinking of grabbing a smoothbore barrel with rifle sights and pressing it into service for back-up HD duties.

When it comes to the 1100, I know almost nothing beyond the manual of arms. What do I need to check/upgrade on it?

Thanks,

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    I've got a spare 1100 lying around with a duck-hunter length barrel that hasn't been fired in years. I'm thinking of grabbing a smoothbore barrel with rifle sights and pressing it into service for back-up HD duties.

When it comes to the 1100, I know almost nothing beyond the manual of arms. What do I need to check/upgrade on it?

Thanks,

Okie John
    Great gun. @NH Shooter had some great pics of one he fixed up for HD along with the modifications he made on a thread here some where.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Great gun. @NH Shooter had some great pics of one he fixed up for HD along with the modifications he made on a thread here some where.
    Yeah, I love my 1187 shorty!

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    The O-ring is really the only major failure point on them. Obviously what Peter b posted is a far more in depth resource. I would have one or two o rings for spares. Otherwise find a load it likes (they can be a little finicky but I’ve had good luck with all but the cheapest stuff and the reduced recoil LE loads).

My HD shotgun is an 11-87 set up like you are describing and it really has served me well.

Quote Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
    The O-ring is really the only major failure point on them. Obviously what Peter b posted is a far more in depth resource. I would have one or two o rings for spares. Otherwise find a load it likes (they can be a little finicky but I’ve had good luck with all but the cheapest stuff and the reduced recoil LE loads).
    The O-ring is a potential failure point but it happens far less often than what is speculated on the Internet. Zero failures with mine, but keeping a few extras around is sound advice.

Mine cycles the Federal LE132 00 (9-pellet) and LE127 RS reduced-recoil loads without issue as long as it is shouldered. It will not reliably cycle the reduced-recoil 8-pellet 00 loads however. FWIW, I clean & lube after each use - the 1187 is not an AR that can go thousands of rounds without attention.

For a home-defense long gun, I have a high level of confidence in mine and have it set up the way I like it. It's also NY legal so I can bring it along when I go there to visit family, and not feel the least bit disadvantaged.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Any issues with that light mount? I was interested in it when you posted in the other thread. I’m looking for something low profile for my 870. As far as the 1100/11-87 goes, I’ve had one for close to 30 years now. Trap, skeet, ducks, birds...fairly abused with a few “over the side of the boat/dig it out of the muck” incidents. The only thing I have done to it is replace that O-ring. That may not coincide with the type of use/response you’re looking for, but in general it’s pretty damn tough gun with few if any issues.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    I used to be a high volume clays shooter. I still have multiple 1100s. On a clays course, if someone had issues with 1100, 90% of the time they were "dry". I used to keep a can of WD40 or similar and paper towels in the cart - a little WD40 or similar and a paper towel clean off the tube where it was dry and had residue. Then the oil of your choice would have a 1100 going again for a long time. I have seen parts fail inside the receiver on high volume 1100s but if you shoot enough then parts break and you fix them - again these were high volume clays shotguns that saw 200 to 500 shells per week.

I have a Remington 1100 12 gauge Tactical that has been through a couple of classes and is in the bedroom closet now.

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Any issues with that light mount?
    I've using CDM mounts for a long time and never had an issue.

Cleaning the trigger group which gets a bunch of brass shavings in it is really simple. Spray it down with wd40 let it set for a while then drop it in a pan of hot water. Using tongs swish it a little and the set it on a towel to dry quickly. Let it cool then lube and reinstall.
    Easiest way I found to deal with it.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List