Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: German, Dutch, and Belgian Shepherds

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    I wish they made a short hair GSD.
    Amen - I love my GSD and wouldn't trade her for anything, but lord do they shed (even with regular brushing).

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Malinois have short hair if you can handle them.
    What’s the temperament difference between a malinois and a GSD? I could do with less hair, but my GSD can be a bit much every now and then so if Malinois are more...I’m probably out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    What’s the temperament difference between a malinois and a GSD? I could do with less hair, but my GSD can be a bit much every now and then so if Malinois are more...I’m probably out.
    I’ve often heard Mals described as a GSD on speed. Our’s was actually pretty chill but did kill a few cats, opened the storm door and chased someone down the street and grabbed someone’s arm when they reached over the top of our 6’ stockade fence in his younger days. So maybe he wasn’t as calm as I remembered.

For anyone wanting a Mal I would recommend this rescue. They are all home fostered and do a good job of telling you temperate and suitability for various home situations. If you were wanting a “calm” Mal they would be able to help keep an eye open for one with that disposition. I just saw a OK/TX rescue that specifically listed a 4 y/o Mal as laidback so there are a few out there.

https://www.malinoisrescue.org/

Site Supporter
    I got my mal at 9 weeks, but had been working with him since before his eyes opened. He has lived indoors, and was not allowed to have his way, so he is pretty chill.

I work nights, so during the days when the kids are home he will make a ruckus to go outside and then comes to bark at my bedroom door to see if I would come out and deal with him. Because when the kids ignore his rukus I appear to deal with him. When the kids aren't home he just lounges and keeps quiet. He is very much focused on me, and is a "soft" dog, requiring far less correction (from me) than other mals I have trained/handled.

My guy is better behaved with the wife and kids than many working GSDs I know. My problem is his prey drive is really high, and he hunts the kids' stuffed animals and wants to shake them to death and carry them around...or make love to them. The word around the working dog club is that he needs to be registered as sex offender for what he does when the decoy gives him the sleeve...or jacket... as a reward. Training director has decreed that he is no longer allowed to carry the sleeve as he calms down, but I don't think a four year old dog can get a bite sleeve or a bite jacket pregnant...despite the amount of effort the dog puts into it. No problem with the out, though....

pat

Remi, dog in avatar pic, is a GSD Mal mix. He has the Mal's shorter hair and only sheds 364 days a year. Winning.

I had a GSD in my younger years, quite possibly the best dog I ever had. I used to take a lot of bite's from Maligator's, not sure I would want to live with the Schizo personality I have seen in a lot of them.
    I always wondered about the Duchies though, are they a bit more laid back?
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by wvincent View Post
    I had a GSD in my younger years, quite possibly the best dog I ever had. I used to take a lot of bite's from Maligator's, not sure I would want to live with the Schizo personality I have seen in a lot of them.
    I always wondered about the Duchies though, are they a bit more laid back?
    It really depends on the Dutchie. Lotus is really good in the house. He’ll play with toys but for the most part doesn’t destroy them. Dutchies are stalkers. You’ll have no privacy. They’ll follow you in the bathroom and they don’t understand personal space. LOL

My current work dog is a Malinois and he is a destructive dog. He stays in his kennel outdoors and I have to watch him like a hawk when he is out of it. If you have seen the funny video about Ryker the Malinois who wants to be a service dog that’s Rico.

Here’s the video it’s pretty funny failure. It’s funny watching the other dogs reactions.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    It really depends on the Dutchie. Lotus is really good in the house. He’ll play with toys but for the most part doesn’t destroy them. Dutchies are stalkers. You’ll have no privacy. They’ll follow you in the bathroom and they don’t understand personal space. LOL

My current work dog is a Malinois and he is a destructive dog. He stays in his kennel outdoors and I have to watch him like a hawk when he is out of it. If you have seen the funny video about Ryker the Malinois who wants to be a service dog that’s Rico.

Here’s the video it’s pretty funny failure. It’s funny watching the other dogs reactions.
    That video is frigging hilarious. The other dogs seem......embarrassed? "He ain't with us"
    I've never been around a nonworking Mal, but ones I caught on the sleeve and the tracking just made me realize I may not be crazy enough for one.

GSD hip dyspalsia kind of soured me on having another.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    @LittleLebowski do you have a reputable breeder in the VA area you'd suggest?
    This is where I got Margaret Thatcher Lebowski. I like these people because they give a 5 year health guarantee on the dog and raise the puppies in their house, not in a kennel. Their dogs have good hips and backs.

https://mygermanshepherd.weebly.com/
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This is where I got Margaret Thatcher Lebowski. I like these people because they give a 5 year health guarantee on the dog and raise the puppies in their house, not in a kennel. Their dogs have good hips and backs.

https://mygermanshepherd.weebly.com/
    Thank you sir, I'll be sending them a note when were ready to go forward!

User Tag List