Thread: Anyone casting/loading slugs or buckshot

Anyone casting/loading slugs or buckshot

While stopping by one of my local pawn shops I came across a MEC Sizemaster in 12ga that I had seen there on previous trips. Seems like shotshell presses don't move quick and the store manager was happy to get an offer on it. I took it home and everything is intact, I'll only need to order a primer tray cover from MEC.

The only thing I'm interested in loading would either be buckshot or slugs, both would be used for an occasional 3 gun match and just to gain some knowledge on loading shotshells. I have a decent casting setup and free lead so I plan on casting for both.

Any advice on loading or casting these in particular? I've noticed there aren't many slug molds available, mainly the Lee Drive-Key and the Lyman 525gr. I have already ordered a Lyman shotshell manual.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've loaded buck shot on a Lee before. It's been a while. I just did it to get a low recoil load. I think I matched powder charge and wad for 1oz. or 1 1/8 oz. load. A certain number of 00 buck were the same weight and I had to stack them individually. It was kind of a pain. I still have my stuff in the basement in case of The Apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    I've loaded buck shot on a Lee before. It's been a while. I just did it to get a low recoil load. I think I matched powder charge and wad for 1oz. or 1 1/8 oz. load. A certain number of 00 buck were the same weight and I had to stack them individually. It was kind of a pain. I still have my stuff in the basement in case of The Apocalypse.
    How did they shoot?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

They shot okay as far as I remember. I was just basically loading a light trap load with 1 oz. of buck shot instead of #8 shot. I had to experiment with wads to get a good crimp.

User Tag List