Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remote Medical Thread

It’s possible I’m not grasping the complexity of the area you were working in, but regardless, in my mind, having the means to CTLS immobilize and then transport (extricate?) a patient seems like a priority in your environment. Backboards have good utility in a pinch, but have fallen a bit out of favor in modern EMS/rescue and even more so if you’re dealing with low rescuer/patient ratios or more lengthy evolutions.

We utilize vacuum mattresses in conjunction with a SKED type litter device for an assortment of remote medical related tasks; to include “carry” over broken ground, toboggan type applications, patient raises and lowers through complex terrain, up to and including winch or short haul aviation applications.

Specific to the scenario you described, the vacuum mattress also provides some insulation from the cold (we work a ton in the winter environment), can provide a bit of a protective cocoon around the patient and typically have handles for positioning/carry.

Anyway, just some thoughts.

T

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    It’s possible I’m not grasping the complexity of the area you were working in, but regardless, in my mind, having the means to CTLS immobilize and then transport (extricate?) a patient seems like a priority in your environment. Backboards have good utility in a pinch, but have fallen a bit out of favor in modern EMS/rescue and even more so if you’re dealing with low rescuer/patient ratios or more lengthy evolutions.

We utilize vacuum mattresses in conjunction with a SKED type litter device for an assortment of remote medical related tasks; to include “carry” over broken ground, toboggan type applications, patient raises and lowers through complex terrain, up to and including winch or short haul aviation applications.

Specific to the scenario you described, the vacuum mattress also provides some insulation from the cold (we work a ton in the winter environment), can provide a bit of a protective cocoon around the patient and typically have handles for positioning/carry.

T
    I could be wrong, but he seemed to be describing remote medicine in an open-water vessel environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post
    I could be wrong, but he seemed to be describing remote medicine in an open-water vessel environment.
    Yeah, I understood that as well. Just wasn’t clear re their needs below the deck, within their holds, etc... He mentioned not being able to effectively move the patient from the freezer, hence my thinking about possible solutions, tools, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post

T
    That looks like exactly what we need. Thanks for that info. I'm going to start pushing for those.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Runkle View Post

3. I use Sanford Antimicrobial Guide, Up-to-date and lexicomp for antibiotics. You’re gonna need a good decade of learning in order to use antibiotics without harming someone, though. Don’t mess around. Your post reads a bit like, “I just got my CCW. What’s the best radar-guided missile defense system for me to use for home defense?”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry it came off that way, no. We have an 24 hour on call MD, they decide the course of treatment. Info would be for deciding what to keep onboard and just general info. Can't give someone something we don't have because we purchased a medical kit that lacked it.

User Tag List