Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 ACP Six-Round Moonclips

Site Supporter

.45 ACP Six-Round Moonclips

I need to get some more. What are the forum's preferences?

I think I have a bunch of Ranch that have worked well. I like to have enough that I can load enough at home so I don't need to load at the range or match.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I need to get some more. What are the forum's preferences?
    I urge that you figure out the brands that are easier to put rounds in and remove cases from. Some use a special tool.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    I urge that you figure out the brands that are easier to put rounds in and remove cases from. Some use a special tool.
    I have some that I got from Gil Hebard (I think) that came with a case removal tool. It worked well, and I still have the tool.

I've always used the old fashioned ones Numrich stocks:

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/252510B

Never had one of these bend. They can be a pain to load until you break them in a little plus learn the tricks. Loading press in while twisting the cartridge. Unloading use needle nose to pull out while twisting the brass. It actually can be mind clearing once you get in a rhythm.

Half moons load easier but do wear out and deform over time. Those I've stocked up over time by finding the guy with a Mason jar full at gun shows and offering $10 or $20 for the whole jar.

Numrich does sell a tool to Moon and de-moon fulls and halfs. Sort of a hollow rod thing with a handle. Never tried one though.

Back on full moons: alternately, TK custom has a really good reputation and sells a mooning and de-mooning tool that is supposed to be quick and easy. Again never used them. Found what worked for me and have stuck with it for good or I'll.

https://tkcustom.com/

I have the California Competition Works demooner. Pops them out two at a time. Awesome.

I've used a variety of moons, some no-name I bought at a gun show in the 90s, a few TKs (the stamped kind) that must've come with my 625, even a few Navy Arms, also from the 90s.

The great thing about the 625 (or even my 25-2) is it doesn't seem to care. No special charging tool, just lay the cases on the bench & press in to place.

Contrast that with my GP100 10mm running .40s. It's very choosy about moons and requires a moon-charging too.

Site Supporter
    I bought 100 of them back in the 1990s from Ranch Products. Still have all of them except the one the range master stepped on (see my earlier post).

Dave

Site Supporter
    I bought a bunch of the wilson combat ones right after I got my 625. They have been pretty good. Also bought one of their demooners it works well.

TK Custom
    REPETITION CREATES BELIEF
    REPETITION BUILDS THE SEPARATE WORLDS WE LIVE AND DIE IN
    NO EXCEPTIONS

User Tag List