Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Researching action rifle competition type setups

Sinistral Rifleman has an excellent set of short YouTube videos on various AR and AK rifles/setups/optics used in action shooting competitions.

SinistralRifleman
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Glad to help. The Geissele has a good rep but I haven’t shot one. Will you use a suppressor?
    Thank you. I see BCM has some complete firearms, and maybe one those is an option. I wasn’t planning on a suppressor, it didn’t even cross my mind honestly. Are they common or useful in competition, or is that more of a defense consideration?
    @rob_s - thanks, that nitty gritty detail including on stuff like slings and other stuff is exactly what I’m after.
    @mmc45414 - ford swap. Sheesh. 🤓

I should mention when I started racing cars 30 years ago I ran in stock class for budget reasons but also to learn. It limited the variables. As a racer I am very much one who learned to optimize what she’s been given rather than change parts and setup constantly. Though I have at least one complex race car now, that’s after many years of experience and even then it is primarily set up for reliability and durability. Granted I know enough to have everything just how I like it. I’d like to take these values to this quest as well. I already have in action pistol shooting. If any of that makes sense.
    Last edited by Medusa; 03-17-2020 at 11:05 AM.

What a great thread. Carry on.

I think rob_s is spot on with advising to buy something now. I’d recommend a coupla cases of 5.56 too.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Thank you. I see BCM has some complete firearms, and maybe one those is an option. I wasn’t planning on a suppressor, it didn’t even cross my mind honestly. Are they common or useful in competition, or is that more of a defense consideration?
    @rob_s - thanks, that nitty gritty detail including on stuff like slings and other stuff is exactly what I’m after.
    @mmc45414 - ford swap. Sheesh. [emoji851]

I should mention when I started racing cars 30 years ago I ran in stock class for budget reasons but also to learn. It limited the variables. As a racer I am very much one who learned to optimize what she’s been given rather than change parts and setup constantly. Though I have at least one complex race car now, that’s after many years of experience and even then it is primarily set up for reliability and durability. Granted I know enough to have everything just how I like it. I’d like to take these values to this quest as well. I already have in action pistol shooting. If any of that makes sense.
    The nice thing about BCM compared to just about any other already mentioned is that you’re fairly likely to find some sitting in a gun store, instead of having to buy stuff online. And BCMs come pretty well decked-out from the factory between trigger, charging handle, and comp among other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see BCM has some complete firearms, and maybe one those is an option.
    I should mention when I started racing cars 30 years ago I ran in stock class for budget reasons but also to learn. It limited the variables.
    Most of the variables are going to be what sits on top of the rifle. I think ARs are perceived to be more complex than they are, there are a handful of things that have to be legit, something from BCM is all going to be legit. Probably the trickiest thing with an AR is not unwittingly buying a component that is a PoS, and some matter more than others. My primary is what many would consider to be a crappy kitchen table PoS put together by somebody that doesn't know what he is doing, but I got a BCM barrel and BCG.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I think rob_s is spot on with advising to buy something now.
    Like maybe right now, like this afternoon. Or like Rob said, at least snag a lower. You can use it now, or save it for later.

@mmc45414 - ford swap. Sheesh. 🤓
    What is that adage about ASSuming?...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 03-17-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Optics are not really a place to skimp if you can avoid it. Nothing wrong with Burris but like other manufacturers they make a range of products ranging from “Chineseium” to Duty grade optics.

For a about a 1/3 more than a Burris MTAC you can get into a Steiner PX4i. if you want a 1-4.

For reference, a good guide to minimum magnification is 1x per 100 yards is enough to help you hit targets but you need 2x per 100 to positively identify targets via your rifle scope.

The sweet spot for a “do it all” 5.56 AR is a 1-6 optic. The good news is the new hotness is 1-8 and 1-10 so there are some great deals on lightly used 1-6 optics out there.
    I dont entirely disagree, but for competition I generally advise people to get their feet wet first, see what kind of matches they enjoy, and what they prioritize. My first optic was a PST1-4. Not a "duty" grade optic, but it got me through a number of matches(2-gun, DMR, and Run'n'Guns). Afterwards I settled on an NXS2.5-10. That jump would have cost me A LOT more had I immediately bought the "Duty Grade" optic to start(at the time it was a Razor 1-6).

My point is: it's a journey, not a destination. Run what you can afford today, not what you think you might get tomorrow. We're talking about playing games, not airborne operations.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I’m definitely planning on acting as soon as I feel like I have my feet under me, knowledge wise. I’m getting there. I’m genuinely grateful for the advice, and truly love to learn.

I’m definitely planning on acting as soon as I feel like I have my feet under me, knowledge wise. I’m getting there. I’m genuinely grateful for the advice, and truly love to learn.
    If there’s a complete BCM in a LGS at a price you can afford, you probably won’t go wrong. The only real differences you’ll come across are barrel length, chrome lined vs stainless steel, handguard type, and handguard length. Maybe gas system.

My preference would be 14.5 midlength with pinned BCM comp, enhanced lightweight barrel, and 13” MCMR handguard. I like my barrels completely covered by the rail but you’ll see some that like a 13” rail and 16” HG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    My preference would be 14.5 midlength with pinned BCM comp, enhanced lightweight barrel, and 13” MCMR handguard. I like my barrels completely covered by the rail
    as a counter-point...

the only thing there I'd agree with is the lightweight, and mid-length just because it's pretty much a given now. No way in hell would I buy, or suggest someone else to buy, a pinned muzzle device as their first/only AR, and I won't own a non-NFA gun, particularly one for matches, without at least an inch or two of exposed barrel. I like lightweight, yes, but I also don't really care about enhanced/BFH/whateverthey'recallingit.

All of which is based on my own experience running and shooting carbine matches and classes for quite a number of years and thousands of rounds a year over those years. FWIW

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    If I was going to put away a receiver pair just in case, it would be this one.

http://www.jsesurplus.com/JSEMATCHED...YMEGAARMS.aspx

It's the old Mega Arms forged combo, still made by Mega post-buyout as a private label. JSE is run by women. They are into cat rescue, hence the logo engraved on the lower. Medusa might appreciate supporting them, as a side benefit.

FWIW, AR15Performance.com, known for selling quite accurate barrels for competitive prices, recommends Mega Arms uppers by name as likely to be well-made and get the most out of a barrel.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List