Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 162425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Researching action rifle competition type setups

Didn’t even realize it was a MK2, I’ve been curious to see reports on those. Also, you guys clean your ARs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    Didn’t even realize it was a MK2, I’ve been curious to see reports on those. Also, you guys clean your ARs?
    I usually hose them out with non chlorinated brake cleaner and punch the bore for carbon buildup every 1500-2000 rounds. Usually.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    You’re gonna like this answer as a gear head, I bet. You won’t need to scrape carbon, with all due respect to Clusterfrack (seriously), periodically hosing it out with this miraculous stuff and the rest of the time running the gun very well lubricated is fine and I’ve got a gun I’ve worn the barrel out on twice and I’ve never scraped carbon on it or any of my (double digits) ARs. If the carbon bothers you in spite of hosing it out, just drop the disassembled BCG in a ultrasonic cleaner with a little bit of dish soap.
    If the carbon on the bolt tail manages to offend your sensibilities, I learned in an armorers class from Sully (also a fan of Slip 2000) that a drop of either the Slip or Kroil and a chunk of green Scotchbrite will clean off the gunk in short order.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

Shiny

Scope and mount are here. Looking through the Vudu 1-6 makes me glad of the choice, especially on 1x. Shiny.

pretty much now I’m just waiting on the gun shop for stuff like the stock (I think a lancer cf a2 length), kac ambi safety, grip and a few other small parts.

Name:  C6B13E5C-B1D1-4AD5-A166-48BE612AA49B.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  75.3 KB

Awesome, @Medusa! This is shaping up to be a great gun. Be careful installing the grip. That's how some people bugger their lower--by cross-threading the steel bolt in the soft aluminum.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

I'll be curious to hear how well you end up liking that Lancer. Those stocks certainly look pretty and comfortable.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Site Supporter
    @Medusa, sorry I haven't PM'd lately, hope all is well with you and yours.

Late to the party, as usual. There has been a bunch of good advice being given out. Off the top of my head, I wouldn't worry about scraping carbon. My work rifle goes usually 1-2k rounds between cleanings when I am teaching, and I don't own a carbon scraper. The carbon is self limiting and will flake off. More important is lube, and lube location is more imprortant than type.

SGM Kyle Lamb did an article a couple of years ago about the "happy mag". Basically, your go to magazine is in the same spot, whether you are slick (no other gear) or jocked up. His recommendation was support side hip. I am desperately trying to set up my work gear so that I can run that way, so that if I am in plain clothes, uniform, or a plate carrier my happy mag is always in the same place. This does not mean you only load from that source, and you have to practice backfilling as well as loading from other, less preferred locations. Back pockets will work, but aren't ideal. The reason I like the happy mag concept so much is that I have a chest rig I wear for classes, a plate carrier for real world deployments, and belt pouches, so I really like the idea of reaching for my primary reload in the same spot. While competition is your focus I think it would make sense for you to have a similar setup, that you can then scale as your needs and desires change. I am digging Blue Force Gear mag pouches right now, with ITW being a close second.

Pay to get online access to SWAT magazine, and read and take notes on all the carbine articles by Patrick A. Rogers. He had a monthly column, 80% of them were carbine related, and before Uncle Pat died he was THE SME on carbine related stuff. I have a decades worth of his print articles within reach. He thought very highly of Paul Buffoni at BCM. For manipulations his Panteo videos were available on Amazon fairly recently, and while I have them, I have not watched them.

Speaking of BCM, I have heard good things about BCM guns, but have not run one. I have, however, been responsible for 40+ rifles that belong to the agency and various co-workers as an armorer and certifying authority (the Chief relied on my opinion on a given gun meeting spec and being properly inspected annually and maintained) Making sure the carrier key is well and properly staked is important. Buy some bolt rings, and learn when and how to replace them. With as much as you shoot, you will need them sooner rather than later. Witness marks (I use a paint pen) are a good thing, and knee and elbow pads will more than pay off in practice. So will 5.56 dummy rounds for dry practice. You don't need them to safeguard the mechanism, but they allow more realistic dry practice and malfunction reduction.

Don't fall in love with your magazines. When it is time to get rid of mine I tape them to targets, rather than let some cheapo think he scored when he finds them in the trash.(I shoot at a couple of ranges where there are lots of cops and cops are notoriously cheap).

That is all I can think of now, time for bed.

pat

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I usually hose them out with non chlorinated brake cleaner and punch the bore for carbon buildup every 1500-2000 rounds. Usually.
    Me too. Bore snakes are much better than the Otis pull through patches. Brake cleaner will strip the metal bare, so lube afterward.

pat

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I'll be curious to hear how well you end up liking that Lancer. Those stocks certainly look pretty and comfortable.
    One hopes there is a slight weight savings. This isn’t going to be a an especially light weapon, but still. We will find out if it works for me.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Awesome, @Medusa! This is shaping up to be a great gun. Be careful installing the grip. That's how some people bugger their lower--by cross-threading the steel bolt in the soft aluminum.
    Also that detent sucks to lose when you launch it.....

The Armorer's Prayer generally involves cussing, kneeling, and promising any listening diety whatever they want to not have the gun out of commission while waiting for Brownells to ship a $0.30 part...

pat

User Tag List