Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast

Thread: Researching action rifle competition type setups

One thing one may perhaps want to note is that mirroring the kind of right-handed shooting position where the support hand is held fairly straight and along the rifle can result in hot brass bouncing off the support arm when shooting left-handed. Me personally, I find that annoying, at least if I am only wearing a short sleeved shirt. So that may have an effect on how a lefty may want to build their shooting position, possibly. Or perhaps not, I'm not exactly an expert in this topic.

Every time you buy a gun part, throw in a coupla mags. Mags are consumables and you never know when someone will try to make them illegal. Buy lots of mags and try different brands.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Re: Lancer mags.

My agency's national firearms unit ran a T&E of them 4 years ago. At the time we issued a mix of green follower Colt GI mags and gen 2 Pmags. The final assessment was the Lancers performance was equivalent to the Pmags but Lancers cost more. We have been issuing all Pmags going forwards.
    Wonder if they changed their mags since their early offerings that I did have and that were crap. Didn't run, and I saw somebody make them, on demand, expel a fountain of of rounds in the air due to shitty feed lips. That somebody owns a company that makes a competing product so he had a personal interest there but, on the other hand, the dude knew how to check them mags out better than I did.

Personally, I've never had issues with good GI mags and PMags. The latter have run for me even with cracked bodies. I am a fan.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I’ve moved on from thinking the LGS is ever gonna get me the parts to finish this. I know what stock i want, and I see brownells has it and a Geissele lower parts kit. I ordered a radian ambi safety to match the one on my carbine.

But, for the buffer and ancillaries, what’s good for a fixed A2 length stock? Brownells has a colt and a brownells branded item that are both on BO. I apologize if i am retreading questions that have been asked and answered. I have gotten more serious about it and trying to marshal the info because it’s gonna just be on me to finish this one.

I don’t remember what I’ve said about fixed stocks here, so this may be repetitive, but even at 6’ and 205, I’ve never seen the desire for a fixed stock. And I’ve never been one to get all up on the gun nose to charging handle style. Whether RDS or LPVO, I typically run a BCM SOPMOD or B5 SOPMOD stock one or two clicks in.

If you’re dead set on it, I have no idea what to say other than consider the Magpul so you have multiple sling options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thank you. I am...taller, with quite long arms.

also, I had the notion that maybe LOP is more important with an lpvo with limited eye relief than it is with a 1x red dot. I don’t know if this is accurate and it is a preliminary theory based on very limited experience. I understand it could be wrong but I guess I thought I’d try it and see ? I understand you’re saying it doesn’t matter for you and perhaps that’s what I’ll discover too. I might experiment with mounting the vudu on the 18 inch upper and using it on my carbine lower.

As for the carbine, I have been running my carbine magpul SL all the way out. This too could change with instruction or experience or both. Maybe it was lots of time spent with shotguns in clay pigeon sports. I can change things up as needed.

I’m using a Seekins 10X rifle length stock on my 6.5 Grendel. It has an adjustable LoP using spacers. It’s quite a bit lighter than the Magpul PRS, and has a similar feature set. It’s very solid and robust.

“There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Banned
    Thanks. What did you do for a buffer and related parts? I was just gonna do a lancer a2 and see how that worked for starters. I’m nowhere near the shooter you are so I’m sure don’t need something that nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Thanks. What did you do for a buffer and related parts? I was just gonna do a lancer a2 and see how that worked for starters. I’m nowhere near the shooter you are so I’m sure don’t need something that nice.
    I used the rifle buffer and spring that came with the lower. No need for anything fancy. Here are the links at Brownells
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod104526.aspx
    https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...rod110075.aspx

The Seekins and Lancer stocks are similar price. Having an adjustable cheekpiece is a big advantage.

Here's a good deal on the Seekins:
    https://www.primaryarms.com/seekins-...10-stock-black
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Banned
    You’re right, again, and I definitely see the advantage. Thank you.

User Tag List