Page 12 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Researching action rifle competition type setups

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I’m also interested in muzzle devices. Yes it’s a 556, I get it, and training will help me get faster splits where warranted, but still. I gotta hang something on the end of it. I see some suggestions here and am searching as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I’m also interested in muzzle devices. Yes it’s a 556, I get it, and training will help me get faster splits where warranted, but still. I gotta hang something on the end of it. I see some suggestions here and am searching as well.
    How much do you care about blast?

Quote Originally Posted by jbrimlow View Post
    How much do you care about blast?
    Yeah, a brake will make other people near you, hate you.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah, a brake will make other people near you, hate you.
    Yup. I usually courtesy warn ROs at rifle matches about my M4-72. But it is super effective at fighting recoil and muzzle rise.

Site Supporter
    Might want to check the Brian Enos forum for many threads on rifle brakes/comps, etc. I have pulled them off all my ARs except my 20 inch Grendel.

I am using Area 419 brakes on my long range rifles - they just announced a new carbine brake that tries to direct noise forward. I may try that as I use the Area 419 mounts that allow me to switch from brakes to suppressor and back.

I like the MBT, and have 2. It’s a great Geissele clone for the money. I like the SSA and SSAE better, but they’re 2x the price.

Muzzle devices... in 5.56 aren’t that important. For a gamer gun, sure. It helps. Surefire has worked well for me, but that’s what fits my suppressor.

If you are in a class, near other shooters, a brake will make people want to shove your gun where the sun don’t shine. I once fragged an RO with splintered wood from a Battlecomp. It was bloody.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I found a thread in which @Clusterfrack extolled the ssae which had already been where my thoughts were headed.
    Posted this link a few pages ago: https://geissele.com/pickmytrigger

Since you are leaning toward one gun and (hopefully never, but possibly) using it for defense, SSA is better aligned with your intent than is SSA-E. Basically the same operating concept, just lower force required on the -E.

As for muzzle devices, if you have ideas about a can, the mount for the can you'd get is probably the way to go. But since an A2 flash hider is about $5-10 anywhere you look, that or a simple thread protector are the easy ways to get started and worry about it more later if you want to. Check Oregon's laws, though (as if you wouldn't, given your profession...). In CA, you can have a threaded barrel on a long gun, but a flash hider is more complicated (as of the last time I checked).
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 03-20-2020 at 03:40 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I like the MBT, and have 2. It’s a great Geissele clone for the money. I like the SSA and SSAE better, but they’re 2x the price.

Muzzle devices... in 5.56 aren’t that important. For a gamer gun, sure. It helps. Surefire has worked well for me, but that’s what fits my suppressor.

If you are in a class, near other shooters, a brake will make people want to shove your gun where the sun don’t shine. I once fragged an RO with splintered wood from a Battlecomp. It was bloody.
    I knew that about brakes. I remember my Arsenal. Wasn’t sure if they were common anyway.

if you were getting a muzzle device and didn’t care about a can, for pr and range use, what would you choose? This is a collective question.

Banned
    Also, oj was right on when he said I do give some thought to who I’m buying from. I don’t guess I’d like to support opponents except when necessary. I don’t want to fight about it. Everyone here understands the concept. There are things I hear about certain companies that make me want to spend elsewhere, even though where needed I absolutely obtain parts and training where I must.

Site Supporter
    I knew that about brakes. I remember my Arsenal. Wasn’t sure if they were common anyway.

if you were getting a muzzle device and didn’t care about a can, for pr and range use, what would you choose? This is a collective question.
    Here is an example of an AR brake-comp test https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/ar...ke-shootout-3/

There are multiple AR Comp comparisons out there.

I have a SJC Titan and it works very well and it is brutal to be around. The basic "Jerry Miculek" version of a comp seems to work well and is cheap. If buying today, I might get something off Aero Precision.

User Tag List