Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Researching action rifle competition type setups

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I’d like to be at under 2k before optic. 1500 to 1700 would be good. It sounds like complete firearms anywhere is a bit of a hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I’d like to be at under 2k before optic. 1500 to 1700 would be good. It sounds like complete firearms anywhere is a bit of a hassle.
    A complete KAC will push you out of that, but BCM, SOLGW, and Centurion all fall in that range, most of them closer to the $1500 price point.

Banned
    We will see what I can manage in a build and timelines versus back ordering a complete weapon.

Site Supporter
    A Geissele Super Duty would fall nicely in your price range.
    Unfortunately, they show “out of stock” now, and my impression is that they are operating at reduced capacity right now due to the COVID-19 outbreak.

Since you mentioned a list, here's mine. Most of these are far from necessary upgrades, but I put my reasons for liking them, however small, in parentheses. Its not pretty or well organized, but hopefully it still makes sense. Feel free to ask any questions since this is a little rough, I can probably explain in more detail.

Upper
    Receiver: various, likely BCM, KAC, Hodge, SOLGW, Centurion
    Barrel: various but same as above, but only enhanced/tapered profiles and 14.5 inches long (better handling characteristics)
    Muzzle device: BCM Comp, Forward Controls Design 6315, or KAC 3 prong FH or MAMS (various uses for each, but the FCD may be my new favorite GP MD. The BCM comp works very well without being super expensive and overly blasty, but it still thumps. The MAMS is even better at compensating, but you see more of the negative effects like flash)
    BCG: various but same as above, fancy coatings aren't a big deal to me but I do like the KAC sandcutter and BCM IonBond BCGs
    Handguard: various but same as above, must have MLOK handguard extending all the way to the muzzle (more space for mounting accessories and better options for the light, plus barrel coming in contact with objects will throw off the point of impact so the longer handguard better protects it)
    Charging handle: Geissele ACH or BCM Mod 4x4 (both are ambi but designed in a way that won't pinch, also have some gas busting properties, and have ideal latch size)
    Forward assist: Forward Controls Design Low Drag Forward Assist (rimless design to prevent finger from catching while using an ambi CH)

Lower
    Receiver: various, same manufacturers as above plus Aero if I want it stripped
    LPK: various, same as above but my favorite is probably BCM because I prefer their grip
    Grip: BCM (grip angle and built in trigger guard cover)
    Trigger guard: BCM, Magpul
    Trigger: Geissele SD-C or BCM, Sionics, SOLGW enhanced GI trigger (I like flat bowed triggers and the SD-C is the SSA equivalent for general purpose use)
    Pins: BAD ETP/EPP (small features that make them easier to use without a tool)
    Bolt catch: Forward Controls Design ABC/R (ideal activation surfaces)
    Mag release: Forward Controls Design EMR (curved mag release to better fit finger placement)
    Safety: Radian Talon (45* and 90* throw in the same safety and comes with one normal and one short lever that are reversible)
    Buffer system: Vltor A5 system using BCM Intermediate tube, Springco Green Spring or standard rifle spring depending on the upper, VLTOR A5-3 or A5-2 depending on the upper, and Forward Controls Design CNF castle nut reinforced buffer retainer, BCM endplate (I don't fully understand the science of the A5, but it seems pretty wildly accepted that this provides a significant upgrade to the function of the rifle; the FCD RBF is basically just a stronger retainer for the buffer and the castle nut has a few design changes to enable easier install and staking)
    Stock: BCM SOPMOD MOD 0 or B5 Enhanced SOPMOD (better cheek weld comfort, I use the BCM whenever I can because its stronger but also lighter so I use the B5 SOPMOD if I have a heavy gun to aid in balance)

Banned

More on triggers

I’d like to hear more about triggers if the collective you are willing. I understand Geissele makes good ones. Many choices. I know I don’t want one of the three gun ones, but there are still many choices.

What weights should I be considering in a competition firearm that would still be on hand for use if there is a a situation requiring a long gun for lawful defense ? Single versus two stage ?

I have never used a flat face trigger on anything.

I’d like to hear more about triggers if the collective you are willing. I understand Geissele makes good ones. Many choices. I know I don’t want one of the three gun ones, but there are still many choices.

What weights should I be considering in a competition firearm that would still be on hand for use if there is a a situation requiring a long gun for lawful defense ? Single versus two stage ?

Honestly I never look at the weights, instead I go based off of the manufacturer’s recommendation and then general opinions of people I know. The SSA is the gold standard of any AR trigger IMO, and therefore, is the best option if you know you want a nice trigger but don’t know anything else about what you’re looking for. You really can’t go wrong with it. My experience is only with several samples of the SSA, SD-C, and one SD-E so I can’t talk about their others. I considered the SSP (single stage) but I like having a two stage for any type of accurate/distance shot, even just for zeroing at 50m. If I ever got a single stage, it’d probably just be for a PCC but again, I haven’t really messed with it to know for sure.

I don’t know how to make a recommendation between flat and curved. I’d read the generally accepted theory that a flat trigger was more accepting of finger placement which seemed to make sense and was interested, but never tried one since a rifle I bought cane with the SD-E. I now have flat triggers on most of my guns and definitely prefer them.

I think I said it before but I believe the SD-C is the flat version of the SSA, so if you want to try a flat trigger, that’d be the one to get. I like my SD-E but I probably wouldn’t buy one because of the one time I jumped it early. The SD-C is a little bit heavier to help with that but still light and clean enough to be a significant upgrade over stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer two stage Larue MBTs. Take up the slack of the first stage, then you hit the crisp and light second stage. 99% as good as a Geissele, $157 cheaper, made from tool steel, not cast like the Geissele.
    #RESIST

Banned
    I found a thread in which @Clusterfrack extolled the ssae which had already been where my thoughts were headed.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I prefer two stage Larue MBTs. Take up the slack of the first stage, then you hit the crisp and light second stage. 99% as good as a Geissele, $157 cheaper, made from tool steel, not cast like the Geissele.
    I also prefer the Larue MBT to the Geissele for a general purpose gun.

For a gamer gun, I'd prefer the Hiperfire.

User Tag List