Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Researching action rifle competition type setups

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand

Researching action rifle competition type setups

I am thinking seriously about acquiring an AR or AK and supporting gear to train with and eventually compete locally with at action rifle type matches. I’ve been reading threads here and looking at stuff on YouTube but if anyone has any suggestions on resources I’d appreciate it. I know some things are user preference and that I don’t have enough experience right now to really have a preference. So it’s helpful to know what the general default type setups. I will try to spectate at a match or two and I have a friend who is pretty into ARs, but I still like to learn and read and consider on my own time.

I gather the AK isn’t as popular or as “serious” a choice as is an AR for these kinds of competitions.

any advice is appreciated, even just a thread link - I’ve searched but doubtless my search fu is weak - thanks.

We have a really good thread or two on the AK in competition and @rob_s even wrote an article on it. I wouldn't even consider the AK, they are more expensive, hard to customize, just negatives for competition. You're on the right path with observing what other people use first. I'd do that and possibly even take a GreenOps or Justified Defense basic carbine class. Carbines will be easy for you given that you can shoot a pistol well. A good pistol shooter is a good carbine shooter, but the inverse is not true. With the max point blank of 5.56, carbines are so easy to shoot.
    #RESIST

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    It sounds like you're thinking about a duty/defense-type AR that you would likely do some gaming with to develop skills, rather than a gaming rifle that you would pull out for the boogaloo.

Quite a few decent threads around here about duty rifles. A gaming rifle is specialized sporting equipment. They have quite different characteristics.

Having seen a little of the way you do things, if you go down the gaming rabbit hole, you will likely end up with separate rifles.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    It sounds like you're thinking about a duty/defense-type AR that you would likely do some gaming with to develop skills, rather than a gaming rifle that you would pull out for the boogaloo.

Quite a few decent threads around here about duty rifles. A gaming rifle is specialized sporting equipment. They have quite different characteristics.

Having seen a little of the way you do things, if you go down the gaming rabbit hole, you will likely end up with separate rifles.

Correct. I want the long gun for defense as well as to exercise my right to have one, and if I have one I want to be competent with it, and for me competition and training for competition is a way to get better. I’d like something that can do well with both like my LTT 92s can and do so well. I don’t plan to invest as much training time as I do with pistols, mainly because I carry a pistol every day where allowed by law, but i know myself well enough to know I’ll want to get acceptable with it if that is within my powers.

i am definitely reading and rereading duty type rifle threads here.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    We have a really good thread or two on the AK in competition and @rob_s even wrote an article on it. I wouldn't even consider the AK, they are more expensive, hard to customize, just negatives for competition. You're on the right path with observing what other people use first. I'd do that and possibly even take a GreenOps or Justified Defense basic carbine class. Carbines will be easy for you given that you can shoot a pistol well. A good pistol shooter is a good carbine shooter, but the inverse is not true. With the max point blank of 5.56, carbines are so easy to shoot.
    Well, I’ll need a weapon before I take a class and I don’t have any long guns rn, but I hear you for sure. I’ll definitely be taking classes.

I am not the SME on this, but would suggest that it is probably not all that tricky, that you just get something reasonable and with your apparent mechanical aptitude if/when you don't like something you can change it.

But like was said, probably AR instead of AK. Lots of good things about AKs, but an AR is like a box of Legos.

ETA: Don't forget the AR is easy to have two uppers for.

I've owned both AK's and AR's, and would take an AR over the AK every single time.

Especially now that the AR platform is cheaper.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Well, I’ll need a weapon before I take a class and I don’t have any long guns rn, but I hear you for sure. I’ll definitely be taking classes.
    I guarantee any of the trainers I mentioned would get you a loaner rifle and mags.
    #RESIST

Banned
    You’re probably right, but I truly hate to impose or even appear to impose and also, the cross country trip and logistics wouldn’t be cheap. Maybe one day.

going shooting with a friend tomorrow - after we do some pistol drills he’s bringing some ARs for me to try. First couple steps. I haven’t fired any long gun except one “pickup” pcc as part of an idpa stage last summer in over 20 years.

Researching action rifle competition type setups

I’ve had great luck with BCM rifles, and have done quite well in competition with them. My home defense carbine is a BCM as well.

A BCM 16” lightweight hammer forged MLok upper would be my recommendation.

I’m not a fan of game-oriented builds that turn a reliable design into the ‘open Gun’ of ARs. Eg. I’ve seen more malfunctions with JP parts than with all other brands combined.

Once you have a good upper, the tricky part is choosing the rest of the setup: stock, trigger, optic, etc.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

User Tag List