Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Researching action rifle competition type setups

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    But Thag want hit gun with hammer.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    Or get a Trash Panda that comes with two muzzle devices. That’s how I justify it to myself since Surefire muzzle devices as an example are usually a couple hundred each.
    Either one of these YHMs plus PF discount (significant), quick ship to dealer, transfer, I’d be surprised if it was over $700 out the door including tax stamp. That gives you flash hiders or brakes (Unlike Q) and affordable, effective ones that just work. YHM rocks.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Either one of these YHMs plus PF discount (significant), quick ship to dealer, transfer, I’d be surprised if it was over $700 out the door including tax stamp. That gives you flash hiders or brakes (Unlike Q) and affordable, effective ones that just work. YHM rocks.
    My Turbo K(from Hansohn!) was dirt cheap and sounds great on a 16" rifle. Still in jail and hoping to have it this summer.

The Turbo K is short and light enough that you can still swing reasonably well. You cant hang 10oz off your muzzle and not feel it, but its manageable. I haven't tried it with the DT mount yet.

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    But Thag want hit gun with hammer.
    I’m not #marinestrong and I was taught early on not to break shit while assembling it. At least not from a hammer or other harbor freight tool.

Researching action rifle competition type setups

Even though it’s not truly difficult, I don’t always recommend assembling lowers and here’s why: I don’t have a lot of patience and I care about how things look - not a great combo for DIY. This morning I finished a lower, maybe my third or fourth one. I completely forgot to use anti seize on the receiver extension, despite having it right in front of me. I also had a hell of a time getting the bolt catch roll pin in, and did a relatively garbage staking job (aesthetically) because I didn’t notice that the punch jumped out of the notch I was working on so I have three or four little extra holes. Then I went to touch up the bare metal with some Super Black and the pen bled everywhere.

I doubt any of this affect function, but it will probably always bother me unless I decide to throw out the castle nut and end plate and re-do it. As an additional consideration, here is the list of tools that I used: Magpul BEV block, Geissele reaction block, several punches and pin holders to include the Brownell’s bolt catch roll pin punch, a hammer, Magpul armorers wrench, foot pound torque wrench, long flat head screwdriver, and two different staking tools. I don’t work on anything else so I’ve bought all of these tools over the last several years only for the purpose of working on my guns. I don’t know how likely it is for other people to have most of these without having already bought them for that specific purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Wake27; 04-01-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Is a torque wrench necessary for installing a buffer tube or can it just be made *really* tight?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    Is a torque wrench necessary for installing a buffer tube or can it just be made *really* tight?

It can easily be over tightened without one. I have a bad habit of doing so which is why I bought one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by helothar View Post
    As a fellow Twin Cities resident, if you promise to treat it well, you'd be welcome to borrow whichever of my torque wrenches (little in-lbs one or big ft-lbs one) is appropriate, at least once this whole social distancing thing is over.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    As a fellow Twin Cities resident, if you promise to treat it well, you'd be welcome to borrow whichever of my torque wrenches (little in-lbs one or big ft-lbs one) is appropriate, at least once this whole social distancing thing is over.
    Thanks for the offer! I may take you up on that once this pandemic thing is over

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I’m not #marinestrong and I was taught early on not to break shit while assembling it. At least not from a hammer or other harbor freight tool.
    Harbor freight hate
    #RESIST

User Tag List