Page 28 of 35 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Researching action rifle competition type setups

Quote Originally Posted by El Cid View Post
    I recommend the how-to videos from Brownells. Free on YouTube and they break it down so even I can understand them.
    Good call.

#RESIST

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    And if I’m honest I may have a pro screw this first one together, although this one shouldn’t be too too bad since I have a complete upper, but still. Haven’t decided for sure yet.
    You can totally do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc_Glock View Post
    You can totally do this.
    If you have ever seated valves in a cylinder head or tightened said head to an engine block, this is completely within your skill set, @Medusa.
    Since women tend to be a bit finer in hand-eye coordination, you'll likely have an easier time than many of us.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    I’ve done the second; probably the first at some point. We will see. I can do most stuff on a car, but I tend to take a long time and don’t always love doing it, and sometimes I just want a pro to do it. Plan b is I have my friend who has assembled many help / oversee / qc me, but with social distancing and the fact he has an elderly live in relative, that might be a ways off logistically. I’ll get the rest of the parts together and then decide.

Researching action rifle competition type setups

Quote Originally Posted by Wake27 View Post
    While I support enabling, a can on top of an 18” gun sounds terrible for anything that doesn’t involve a bipod.
    @Medusa, a can does add length and weight, but there are some compact ones that work pretty well. I used this setup at that Findlay team match so my partner and I could communicate more easily, and I wouldn’t kick up dust. And night shooting with a suppressor is just plain fun.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 03-30-2020 at 07:03 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Banned
    holding the head of Perseus in my support hand
    We will see. I believe I’ll practice and train and take classes with what I’ll have and then figure out what next. I’m sure it’s nice to have but I should already have a fine weapon to work with. Before I drop a grand on a suppressor I’d be more likely to get a second, shorter length AR and get an Aimpoint for it. But we will see. I’m lucky to have what I’ll have as it is. Very lucky.

We will see. I believe I’ll practice and train and take classes with what I’ll have and then figure out what next. I’m sure it’s nice to have but I should already have a fine weapon to work with. Before I drop a grand on a suppressor I’d be more likely to get a second, shorter length AR and get an Aimpoint for it. But we will see. I’m lucky to have what I’ll have as it is. Very lucky.
    We can get you hundreds below a grand on a great suppressor, just saying
    #RESIST

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I’ve done the second; probably the first at some point. We will see. I can do most stuff on a car, but I tend to take a long time and don’t always love doing it, and sometimes I just want a pro to do it. Plan b is I have my friend who has assembled many help / oversee / qc me, but with social distancing and the fact he has an elderly live in relative, that might be a ways off logistically. I’ll get the rest of the parts together and then decide.
    I can't really tell, but it looks like in the photo of the lower you posted that the bolt catch paddle and forward takedown pin are already installed.

These are the only two kind of hard (mostly just annoying) aspects to assembling a lower. The rest is stupid easy. Just make sure you torque the castle nut to spec (40 ft/lb IIRC) and stake the receiver endplate to secure the castle nut.

Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    I can't really tell, but it looks like in the photo of the lower you posted that the bolt catch paddle and forward takedown pin are already installed.

These are the only two kind of hard (mostly just annoying) aspects to assembling a lower. The rest is stupid easy. Just make sure you torque the castle nut to spec (40 ft/lb IIRC) and stake the receiver endplate to secure the castle nut.
    https://www.amazon.com/MulWark-Sprin.../dp/B0714JYF2Y
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    We can get you hundreds below a grand on a great suppressor, just saying
    Or get a Trash Panda that comes with two muzzle devices. That’s how I justify it to myself since Surefire muzzle devices as an example are usually a couple hundred each.

User Tag List