Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID and Law Enforcement

Quote Originally Posted by lwt16 View Post
    Just about every disease known is in my little slice of heaven of a zone......so adding one more bug to the mix isn't really changing a thing with me. I'm more concerned with fentanyl exposure, human bites, HIV, needles, Hep, etc. than this latest virus. Plus, the shot, stabbed, ran over thing.
    You forgot TB. I paid for my first Hep B shots out of my own pocket because I was dealing with too many people with yellow eyeballs.

I don't know if anyone posted this rocket scientist's suggestion to expose first responders intentionally. https://www.lawenforcementtoday.com/...st-responders/
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Do you expect an increase in domestics if families are staying at home together more?
    Every public school in Connecticut ordered closed by the governor. One has to expect that "police activity" will go up in the cities.

Now the big scramble is how to feed these kids who rely on the schools for meals. WTFO! (rhetorical question): Since when are schools responsible for feeding kids?

I'm really perplexed, No school to keep them apart yet they have to come to the bread line to eat. And what about the kids who get bused to school. Utter lunacy! Maybe they can send free food trucks into the hood.

School day care is being provided but only if your parents are first responders or in the medical profession. I don't know anybody trying to send their kid to it yet. But I'm sure it's inevitable as officers run out of leave or comp.

They've closed all the beaches which will obviously relieve a huge burden on all the local LEO's. Spring break is effectively canceled.

Our jail is only taking arrestees for violent crimes and "serious" warrants. Otherwise, we're business as usual.

Our courts have closed. Arraignments for citations are being set for April, jail arraignments are being done via telemonitors. Anything scheduled for hearing or trial is getting reset further out. We've been encouraged to release as many charges as possible on a citation vs. a custodial arrest, if legally possible. We've been trying to avoid entering residences to limit possible exposure.
    The jail we use is screening every intake in booking. By screening I mean pointing a Harbor Freight laser thermometer at them. Fun story, the other night I brought in a DUI that just got medically cleared by the ER, literally just left the ER and drove a few miles to the jail. Booking officer checks the arrestee, temp shows 126. I comment on the accuracy of their thermometer. Two more attempts show 101. Mild panic ensues. Jail nurse uses an actual medical thermometer and everything is okay. I just had to laugh knowing this is only going to get worse.

We cancelled "out-of-region" extraditions and warrants.

We cancelled the twice-daily alcohol breath test program for people on probation or pretrial supervision.

We're not supposed to respond to medical calls unless requested by medical personnel.

A couple nights back, we hooked up a guy for DUI after a wreck. His excuse? He just had to drive to another town to get toilet paper. It was an emergency! Couldn't wait! Of course, this was his fourth offense, so the TP thing may have been not entirely true.

Interesting times, indeed.

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Six of the nine SF Bay Area counties have issued Shelter in Place orders. Supposedly enforceable by fine/imprisonment, though I'm not clear on the legal authority yet. We have suspended all training and qualifications until further notice. Both academy classes sent home. This is some crazy shit right here.

Quote Originally Posted by AMC View Post
    Six of the nine SF Bay Area counties have issued Shelter in Place orders. Supposedly enforceable by fine/imprisonment, though I'm not clear on the legal authority yet. We have suspended all training and qualifications until further notice. Both academy classes sent home. This is some crazy shit right here.
    That's crazy.

Be safe.

Heard from the Marshals Service today that they are only looking for fugitives that pose an immediate threat to the public.

San Francisco cops ordered not to arrest or contact anyone for anything and take lots of steam baths.

Ok, just kidding. My apologies to any SF cops...really, just kidding....

Locally, many agencies taking a "no in-person response to non-urgent calls" position, cold reports and the like can be done on phone. "Yes, ma'am, I understand they took your lawn flamingo and you are really mad about that, I would be too, but we really can't send an officer out on that right now."

The real issue here is not fear of getting sick, per se, but trying not to spread this so the hospitals don't get overwhelmed and people die because they can't get treatment.

By the way, I am told using the phrase "If you Spit on me again, M-F, I will F'ing kill you" is still not okay, Covid-19 notwithstanding.

User Tag List