Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID and Law Enforcement

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    We had a shooting in a trailer park yesterday. The population there consisted of many of the most at risk. Morbidly obese, diabetic, elderly, smokers, often all of the above. I noted that they certainly weren't taking any warnings about staying at home or social distancing seriously. Of course, any time a significant police presence shows up in lower income neighborhoods it's free entertainment so the ooh-ah squad shows and hovers at the edge of the crime scene for the Festival of The Flashing Lights.

Two ended up going to jail over the aftermath of the shooting as their drunken asses couldn't figure out they couldn't make threats to the crowd on the other side of the tape without consequences. Apparently they think nobody is going to jail for anything.

Ha.....that's every day here.

https://www.waff.com/2020/03/27/thre...torcycle-club/

Motorcycle gang shootout

https://www.waff.com/2020/03/27/hunt...t-jordan-lane/

This was all less than 12 hours after our chief got on the press conference talking about how crime was down and everything was going smooth.

This weekend ought to be a train wreck.

Site Supporter
    https://www.ksat.com/news/texas/2020...e-on-the-rise/

Article discusses how there has been a drop in reports of child abuse during the crisis but since many such reports com via teachers and schools the drop is similar to the drop seen during the summer when kids are out of school.

Something to be on the lookout for.

Just got notice that we have to don PPE for any situation where we might have physical contact with someone else. This should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by andre3k View Post
    Just got notice that we have to don PPE for any situation where we might have physical contact with someone else. This should be interesting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Here’s how we ended up in the same boat...
    Name:  8594D444-ABFD-4670-A323-622DC68EA579.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  43.9 KB

The small town in which I reside has ordered me to be imprisoned on my own property even though I have been convicted of no crime, nor have I been diagnosed with an infectious disease. I am contemplating legal action, and the only reason I have not already filed suit is because I am worried about the fall out for other people who will get dragged into it.

The Rhode Island governor has ordered the National Guard and state police to hunt down New Yorkers in the state and force quarantine them for 14 days with potential fines and jail time for non-compliance.

It has taken less than two weeks for "us" to shred civil liberties in the name of "do something".
    I had an ER nurse in a class. I noticed she kept taking all head shots. Her response when asked why, "'I've seen too many people who have been shot in the chest putting up a fight in the ER." Point taken.

Site Supporter
    How do you know you're not contagious? Have you been tested?

You talk about your "rights" but you don't say anything about your responsibilities to the rest of the people in society.

But, if you do file a lawsuit, let us know how it turns out. It might take about three years.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jlw View Post
    The small town in which I reside has ordered me to be imprisoned on my own property even though I have been convicted of no crime, nor have I been diagnosed with an infectious disease. I am contemplating legal action, and the only reason I have not already filed suit is because I am worried about the fall out for other people who will get dragged into it.

The Rhode Island governor has ordered the National Guard and state police to hunt down New Yorkers in the state and force quarantine them for 14 days with potential fines and jail time for non-compliance.

It has taken less than two weeks for "us" to shred civil liberties in the name of "do something".

One of my many concerns is what your are describing.

The small town in which I reside has ordered me to be imprisoned on my own property even though I have been convicted of no crime, nor have I been diagnosed with an infectious disease.
    I can definitely understand the frustration you're feeling, along with millions of other Americans sitting around and thinking "How is this Constitutional?" I don't have an answer in that particular context. But...

You don't have to be convicted of a crime or diagnosed with an infectious disease in order to have your freedom restricted in American society. That precedent has existed in this country long before either of us were born. People are arrested and booked into county jails every day without criminal convictions...these actions are taken based upon probable cause, which is either certified by court order or articulated by a LEO on scene. Children are removed from abusive/neglectful homes every day based upon court orders or circumstances articulated by LEOs on scene. Property (including guns) can be searched and seized based upon court orders as well...all without criminal convictions.

I'm not trying to insult your intelligence or come across as patronizing. I'm just concerned about the prevalence of posts i've seen on this forum (and others) where folks seem to think they can't be subjected to a lawful search/seizure without being convicted in a court of law. That simply isn't true.

Site Supporter

On 3/21/2020:

Our county has a testing site that went operational late in the week.

It’s drive through testing. The patients never get out of their car.

Hospital staff asked where would be the best place to station a deputy.

With a straight face I said:

“They should probably be where they can shoot anyone who gets out of their car.”

Not a single eye batted at that remark.
    Hmm.

Yes, it's a 4th Amendment incursion.

So is an arrest. And the search of a car. And a terry frisk. They're all 4th Amendment incursions.

They're all justified with robust precedents behind them. Regardless of what you think, the laws still apply to you, and the laws to establish the legality of quarantine have been upheld in the Supreme Court of the United States.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List